Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm watching an Oregon high school football game

on ASCN with my BUD/GI Mot 922/HDD-200 C-band setup now. Anybody know if this is HD or upconverted NTSC? Sure looks good if not HD!

·
Registered
622 Posts
I sent them an e-mail about the same thing. My question was about the schedule on their web site not showing anything as being in HD. I got a reply from the program manager that said they were still working on their web site, that he would let the web master know that people were wanting that info. He said that there is always an HD stream and an SD stream. This implied that they are producing shows in HD but did not actually distinguish between true HD and upconverted SD. He also did not answer the specific question of whether their locally produced sports events, which are all in 16x9, are all true HD. I sent a second e-mail asking that specific question again. I haven't gotten a reply to that e-mail yet.

I did not say that I was watching through 4DTV/HDD200. He must have guessed it since no one else has access to their HD feed. He said that they are working on making ASCN available on 4DTV. I am not sure what he ment by "working on" it since it is available now.

Roy

·
Registered
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by royrose

I did not say that I was watching through 4DTV/HDD200. He must have guessed it since no one else has access to their HD feed. He said that they are working on making ASCN available on 4DTV. I am not sure what he ment by "working on" it since it is available now.

Roy
He meant "working on" a way to make us pay for it.

I don't mind paying if they have any decent content. Every time I've turned it on its been lamo 4:3 upconversions of one type or another.

Theres enough HD content out there now that I won't sit and watch high school football just because its in HD.

Chris

·
Registered
980 Posts
I started watching ASCN today for the first time with my 4DTV-920/HDD-200 combo. Right now I am watching a College Basketball game in Hi Definition. It is Oregon vs Alabama St. The picture on my Projector is good but it looks a little soft. It looks outstanding on my 32" DTV. IMO this looks like upconverted 16x9. Similar to what Stargate on SHO looks like. Regardless, this is a huge step up from the standard affair. Basketball looks great in 16x9.

Earlier, I watched a local sports show that did look like full-blown HDTV. Most of the day they seemed to be running ESPN-News which was in 4x3. It still looks better NTSC ESPN I get on C-Band.

It's great having another HD choice.

Chris

·
Registered
622 Posts
Since my last post in this thread, I read a post about this on the 4DTV forum. Someone had been in touch with the ASCN chief engineer who said that they are currently doing their local college and high school sports in SD 16x9. They do some Blazers games and some studio shows in true HD. I agree that the local sports look good but softer that full HD.

Roy

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roy:

I contacted that same ASCN engineer and urged him to make his higher ups at ASCN aware of the interest amongst C-band folks in the ASCN feeds, especially those involving the Blazers. I noticed that ASCN isn't scheduled to telecast another Blazer game in HD until Nov. 30th and I'm afraid that by that time they will start encrypting the feed because of NBA out of market restrictions. I sure hope ASCN can work out some arrangement with C-band providers like NPS sp that we can have continued access to these high quality broadcasts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.