AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is "allowing" me to get a flat panel for over the fireplace (I've checked temp and smoke thanks!), to help clean the rooms appearance.

As I have my own media room, this living room TV will be mostly for her and her ReplayTV and SD stuff (in fact, likely 75% SD content).

Soooo, I am really worried about burn-in (as Cablevisions 480i bypass on the SA4200 boxes is not working), so I cannot "stretch" the SD broadcasts from the HD box.

Knowing this limitation (the wife!), I have pretty much decided that the Aquos 37" MAY be the best bet for this. I pains me because our viewing distance will be about 9-10 feet, and a Panny HD 42 WILL fit on the wall, but again, I go back to our viewing practices for this TV and am terrified of the SD (again 75% SD content) for this tv.

I would really like your expertise and suggestions on if the Aquos is the better choice for high SD content users.

Thanks

PS, any tips on wiring thru a prefab fireplace...I love this place. Thanks to all

MedMan

·
Registered
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by medmannj
Soooo, I am really worried about burn-in (as Cablevisions 480i bypass on the SA4200 boxes is not working), so I cannot "stretch" the SD broadcasts from the HD box.
I have Cablevisions SA4200HD box and a HD plasma connected via component cables. There is an option in the SA4200HD menu to either stretch or zoom the image. Both of these work for me when watching SD via component. I also have the SA4200HD hooked up to my Sony via composite which allows me to take advantage of my Sony's WideZoom for when I am watching SD programming that I don't want stretched or zoomed and cut off.

Hope this helps. I don't understand what you mean by "480i bypass on the SA4200 boxes is not working." I'd appreciate an education on the matter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll give you a brutally honest opinion. Since SD content will continue to dominate for some time, if you can't stretch b/c of cable HD box, I'd switch to Directv.

Then, from my observations, the Panasonic TH42PWD6UY (commercial) or TH-42PA20UP (residential) alongside the Sony KE42xs910 produce the best picture from non-HD programming sources. The Panny's are EDTV, so if you want to make sure you are truly HD capable, go with the Sony. Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the SA box has a bypass mode that allows the SD signal to "bypass" any upconverting of an SD signal, this would allow the HD box to put out a 480i signal (for that SD channel) and the TV would then do the stretch (as it is getting a 480i signal) and NOT the cable box trying to do the stretch.

UNFORTUNATELY, Cablevision (unlike others) has not activated the system and put the $11 module in the HD box.

Looks like a PANNY for me, WHY WOULD I NOT GO WITH THE HD version of the panny if the extra money is not an issue (am I buying for the future that way).

Again, thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update...WOW it the 37" Aquos IMPRESSIVE. Did some looking over lunch, and with same source (I know they are tweaked differently), I really can only say WOW, the Aquos looked much better than ANY plasma there...

Does that sound right?

·
Registered
51 Posts
medmannj,

You do know that you can change the aspect (zoom, just, full) on the panny plasma panels? So the fact that you can't change the aspect on your STB doesn't seem like it should be an issue (unless I'm missing something in your post). However, I don't know if this is an issue with the LCD screen.

When looking at LCD's don't forget to look at the screen from the various angles you'll be viewing the screen from (not just straight on), since the best viewing angles are limited.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry not to be more clear. The cable box takes a 480 signal and upconverts to HD, so the only signal (for example) on my RPTV) is always getting a 1080i signal, thus the "stretch, zoom, etcO on the TV will not work. The cable box trasmits the "black bars" as part of the signal. Since primarily for the wife, need to keep the button pushes to a minimum.

Thanks for the advice on LCD, like the Fujitsu with AVM may be the way to go... is there a cheaper way to get AVM, without the fuji pricing?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.