AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any high sensitivity woofers that come in very budget freindly, that can mate to a sub at 80hz?

Right now I'd like to find something very budget friendly that'll offer about 90db sensitivity after about 4db BSC. 8" preferred.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02
the eminence beta 8a in a ported cab is a budget driver that will do what you want...i think (sensitivity is around 94db 1w1m).

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Beta_8A.pdf

street price: ~$50

whatcha got cook'n there tux?
Ah yes, I did look at the beta 8a. Very tempting.

Basically I just want to build something for fun. But the premise is:

- Small;

- 90db;

- Very affordable;

- Uses a dome

Don't worry, the dome will be waveguide loaded. CDs and good pro woofers are outta my league when it comes to budget. I want to build something that can give the big boys a run for their money, while being waf.

I think I've already named it even. Challenger. Not settled on that yet though, cause it's kind of generic. The name has to say, this thing will do 90% of what a monkey coffin will do, for less money and small form factor.

Any suggestions?

For WAF I'm highly leaning towards 1 or 2 of these - http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...m-8-wool-cone/

Will struggle to make solid 90db though. And that's at 2.83V.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
"Will struggle to make solid 90db though. And that's at 2.83V."

that's cheating 3db. also i couldn't find silver flute homepage. are these real quality drivers or just some random chinese thing?

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02
"Will struggle to make solid 90db though. And that's at 2.83V."

that's cheating 3db. also i couldn't find silver flute homepage. are these real quality drivers or just some random chinese thing?
Exactly, hence likely using 2 in an MTM 2.5 way or something.

They're very unpopular, another reason I'd like to try them. They are chinese, however the little bit I've been able to find is, they have excellent build quality, and measure well. There's an 8ohm version with 3db less sens at 2.83V. A 2.5 way with those might be good.

Not to mention still hold that hifi look for most peoples living rooms. The beta 8a doesn't look to bad compared to a lot of pro stuff though.

·
Registered
7,626 Posts

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
just out of curiousity, why a dome?

dome tweeters were built on the false premise that a circular speaker would radiate better than a flat speaker.

the major error is that domes don't increase and decrease like a balloon being filled and unfilled with air which would be a true point source, they move like a balloon being wobbled back and forth, so the on axis air pressure changes much more than the off axis air pressure. that is just a recipe for distortion. this is why none of these work at high spl. they just sound terrible.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For my enclosure experiment I used a couple of old EV SP8's and T35 tweeters in a custom built Theil enclosure. Tucked them up in the ceiling connected to the Sansui QRX 6500 rear outputs. Very worthy of the effort.

The box was tuned to about 50 hz and the speakers are around the mid 90's.

Swapped in a Yamaha HT RX V596 when the Sansui needed some work. The speakers reveal every shortcoming of the Yamaha surround output.

I'm sure the combo used up front would match many higher priced mfg'd units.

Regards.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Eddie, tempting! That hole from 600 to 900 hz bugs me though

LTD02, they're cheap. The waveguide will help. I can't afford audiophile quality CDs. Oh that's another thing. It has to have a good FR. Not great but good. Like +/- 3db.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/20830760

just out of curiousity, why a dome?

dome tweeters were built on the false premise that a circular speaker would radiate better than a flat speaker.

the major error is that domes don't increase and decrease like a balloon being filled and unfilled with air which would be a true point source, they move like a balloon being wobbled back and forth, so the on axis air pressure changes much more than the off axis air pressure. that is just a recipe for distortion. this is why none of these work at high spl. they just sound terrible.

That wasn't really the premise of a dome tweeter. The reason for a dome is to be able to maximize the diameter of a voice coil in a small radiator. For example, a 1" dome can have a 1" voice coil with the dome driven from it's outer circumference.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I'm gonna go with 2 of the 8 ohm silver flutes I linked before. It'll make the cabs larger, and cost more. But I'm interested in them and they'll be "hifi". Any last minute advice before I pull the trigger? My budget now being about $75 per.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.