AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest a processor or receiver old or new with hdmi in and a high signal to noise ratio? Just out of interest as most seam to be rather low for whats possible with modern dac's.

I ask because the 'real' bit rate of a track is dependant on the resolution the processor is capable of, 24 bit is about 140db snr+n, and most processors seam to be about 100 or less.

I found this which seams better-

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/index.p...productId=1450

and this which isnt quite as good, but still ok-
http://www.avland.co.uk/aasp/onkyo/1...8/prsc5508.asp

I appreciate that you cannot hear 140db down, but from what I understand, distortion is multiplied by components in the chain. I dont know how much more you loose adding a 120db snr power amp to the chain, but it cant help.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
With today's equipment I would say if you can maintain anything like 110dB through the signal chain you will not hear anything unless your ear is actually glued to the speaker grill. It will probably be true even with a lower ratio.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Unless you are in anechoic chamber you won't be able to use 120dB of dynamic range. Normal noise floor in the room is 30-40dB, and if you care about your hearing, you do not want to hear sounds louder than 110-115dB. This gives you

85dB of usable dynamic range. Thus most receivers (they usually provide 96-105dB) are good enough.

Also do not forget that there is no music sources with full 24bit resolution. Even if you can get 24 bit signal, lowest 4-6 bits are usually just noise.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 /forum/post/20858577

Unless you are in anechoic chamber you won't be able to use 120dB of dynamic range. Normal noise floor in the room is 30-40dB, and if you care about your hearing, you do not want to hear sounds louder than 110-115dB. This gives you

85dB of usable dynamic range. Thus most receivers (they usually provide 96-105dB) are good enough.

Also do not forget that there is no music sources with full 24bit resolution. Even if you can get 24 bit signal, lowest 4-6 bits are usually just noise.

Your all correct, but due to the way most measure SNR, the figure is likely much lower in real world use- the SNR ratio is only applicable when playing the signal at maximum levels, not real world levels where much of the dialogue is at 60db, and the noise floor of the system is at 40db. I had a pioneer AX2AVS where the noise floor was always audiable from 4m away, and a onk prsc886 that the noise floor wasnt audiable without approaching the speaker. Bizzarly, the pioneer sounded nicer to my ears, but neither came even close to the detail and atmosphire of my cambridge audio dac magic (140db SNR+N)

I cant state that the SNR is everything, but im beginning to think its a big part. thats why im looking at a asus

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.