AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be taking the plunge and getting a plasma, specifically, the Panasonic PT-37PD4-P. Everything, from HD to DVDs to NTSC, looks very pleasing to my eye, however, I've yet to see a live sports event with fast motion, i.e. pro hockey, racing, or basketball on this particular plasma. A few years ago I saw a basketball game on a plasma, a Pioneer, if I recall, and there was blurring and some "smearing" of the players as they ran up and down the court. Can anyone tell me if the current generation of plasmas, esp. the Panny in question has addressed this?

Thanks much.

Rich

·
Registered
15,358 Posts
Rich,

I encountered the same smearing few years ago with action on plasmas.

I now own one: YES, the latest generation plasmas look fine with action. In fact, these days I find the motion processing of the plasmas outperforms those found in the "digital" CRTs, as I see more motion artifacts in the line-doubled CRTs.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I think the signal source is a much bigger concern - over compressed digital signals have to ability to look like crap. With good signals, the plasmas are stunning, even with motion.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
I can further vouch for the PQ in basketball games as I watched one being broadcast on TNT over my Dish Sat. The PQ was very good, no smearing no jaggies, just a tad soft. Then again my signal shows 123 out of 125 on the STB...so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Tweaking the settings of the panny helps, tremendously as well. Get the Avia disk or whatever and calibrate your composite hookup with it through your DVD player. I think you will see a noticeable improvement.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The NCAA tournament games in HDTV looked swell on my Panny 4UZ plasma

·
Registered
52 Posts
Rich, I am in the same boat. Should be ordering my 37" in 2 weeks. Wanted to bump up and go for the 42" but my living room is already small for the 37" (viewing distance of tops 8 feet), and decided against the "per inch" cost saving of the 42". Which vendor are you going with? If you want to talk about pricing/vendor, feel free to PM or email me at [email protected] . I'm in DC, too bad we can't do a mini group buy :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Okay..my purchase schedule accelerated tonight. Just ordered it from J&R, price matched to my favorate shady dealer... I know have a plasma TV! Yeah!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for your input!

It has helped to address my next to last concern about purchasing this plasma. (Now I'm wondering if I should buy now, or wait until the new model with the silver bezel, tuner and speakers coming in August and compare the two! :rolleyes: :confused: This stuff never ends...)

Congratulations, Morgan, I look forward to hearing your thoughts and impressions of your new plasma; and I too am going to be purchasing it from J&R. However, as I live in NYC, I'll be getting it from their B&M store in downtown.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.