AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I just moved into a new house and our old speaker setup is no longer working. I'm looking for recommendations for a decent 5.0 setup that my wife will approve of.

My current setup:

B&W DM-602 mains (on stands), CC2 center, Ascend CBM-170's as surrounds, and a smaller SVS subwoofer. Used for 50/50 music/movies.

Flaws in the current system:

1. My wife thinks the speakers are too large and noticeable (all black in an all-white room).

2. There are windows on either side of the TV, so the speakers are either right next to the TV (too close for stereo imaging) or in the corners... behind some chairs.

I'm hoping to find some svelte speakers that sound on-par with my current setup. Wall-mounting is a plus, and getting them in white (to match the walls) is also a plus. The room is on the large side3500 cubic feet with lots of reflective surfaces. I bought most of the speakers used for around $1000 total, so my wife thinks that should be our budget.

Does anybody have any suggestions? My local dealer carries Paradigm and Definitive, and he recommended the Cinema 220s/330s and the ProCinema speakers; would these be good options?

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmanonlyone
Dude, man up...
Really ,you got a new house & you let the wife tell you you need to down grade the sound system.

You upgraded the house , draw the line ,man-up ...

if you already have let the wife have your manhood then just get some Bose .

Bye Bye AVS is next...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd love to man up, but I still have my issue with speaker placement.

Right now the wall where the speakers would go is 14' long. There is a 4' wide TV stand in the middle, flanked by 3' wide windows. That leaves 2' of wall at each edge where speakers could go, but there will be chairs on each side which would block tweeters (I think). And I'd prefer to not put the speakers in front of the windows.

My intended solution was to mount speakers on the wall above the chairs. Does anybody have other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaundgelb
My wife and I just moved into a new house and our old speaker setup is no longer working. I'm looking for recommendations for a decent 5.0 setup that my wife will approve of.

My current setup:

B&W DM-602 mains (on stands), CC2 center, Ascend CBM-170's as surrounds, and a smaller SVS subwoofer. Used for 50/50 music/movies.

Flaws in the current system:

1. My wife thinks the speakers are too large and noticeable (all black in an all-white room).

2. There are windows on either side of the TV, so the speakers are either right next to the TV (too close for stereo imaging) or in the corners... behind some chairs.

I'm hoping to find some svelte speakers that sound on-par with my current setup. Wall-mounting is a plus, and getting them in white (to match the walls) is also a plus. The room is on the large side3500 cubic feet with lots of reflective surfaces. I bought most of the speakers used for around $1000 total, so my wife thinks that should be our budget.

Does anybody have any suggestions? My local dealer carries Paradigm and Definitive, and he recommended the Cinema 220s/330s and the ProCinema speakers; would these be good options?
The ProMonitor 800 for front and rear and a ProMonitor 1000 for a center from Def Tech come in white and should be in your price range.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
There are two things:

1. Placing TV between two windows is a bad idea. It will always look too dark at day time. If TV is plasma, this is even worse as they have lower brightness than LCD.

2. Black speakers should look in place if all room is done in black and white (like white walls and black/chrome/glass furniture). This is usually assumes contemporary urban design style.

Do not try to hide speakers - make them part of overall design like any other piece of furniture. But you may have to re-think the layout of your room for that purpose.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 /forum/post/20845993

There are two things:

1. Placing TV between two windows is a bad idea. It will always look too dark at day time. If TV is plasma, this is even worse as they have lower brightness than LCD.

2. Black speakers should look in place if all room is done in black and white (like white walls and black/chrome/glass furniture). This is usually assumes contemporary urban design style.

Do not try to hide speakers - make them part of overall design like any other piece of furniture. But you may have to re-think the layout of your room for that purpose.

Ap1 is right....TV between two windows a bad idea IF you have an alternative. If not, it is what it is.

I've mentioned this before but most men want a home theater system in their living room while most women want a living room with a home theater system in it. It's always important to blend aesthetics when combining two features.

On the other hand, I'm the kind of guy who has to introduce my speakers to a woman to see whether they approve of her or not.

Ditto on Z's HTM-200. Good call.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanDallas /forum/post/20846444

Might as well get a soundbar and a small sub. Put the existing speakers in a room or basement setup for music.

+1. That room doesn't sound like it would be good acoustically anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.