AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...for_April/1418

Quote:
Sony has announced to retailers that it is planning a April 15 Blu-ray bow for the David Lean classic 'A Passage to India.'

The last film directed by the legendary filmmaker, 'A Passage to India' is the first of Lean's many epics (which include such classics as 'Dr. Zhivago' and 'Lawrence of Arabia') to hit high-def. Sony has set a street date of April 15 for the Blu-ray.

There were no specs or supplemental details available at press time, but we'll keep you posted.

Sony has set a suggested $28.95 list price for the Blu-ray.

You'll find preliminary disc details for 'A Passage to India' linked from our Blu-ray Release Schedule, where it's indexed under April 15.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Lalor /forum/post/12981198

I love this film, but it's certainly an odd choice for a HD release, given the films in Sony's catalog.

I saw it in the theater when I was much much younger, not sure if I will purchase it or not, but I think it could look great given what I remember about the cinematography.

Plus I can also think of a title or two that I would choose to have released before it, maybe a just a hair more...

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
This is a wonderful film that holds up beautifully. I saw it in HD last year.

While there are a many other terrrific titles in Sony's catalog, this title is one that can help broaden the demographic for Blu-ray. We need to start seeing titles that will appeal to consumers who are not just in the "videogame" demographic that has dominated both formats (particularly Blu-ray). This is not to criticize gamers, just to point out that the marketplace is much broader.

I look forward to titles like Kwai, Lawrence (of course), Navarone, Gandhi, The Natural, broadening to From Here to Eternity, All the King's Men (original), etc. These titles, excellently done and sold at the right time, will bring many more people into the fold.

A Passage to India is a great start.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbert16 /forum/post/12981615

Old movie who cares.
Back to the HD DVD forum, troll.

Good stuff from Sony. Looking forward to this, hopefully it sells well enough to lead to more catalog titles from Sony and other studios.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
This is not the David Lean film I have been waiting for...

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantchicken /forum/post/12985923

Nice...

I agree with some of the points above this post, but basically how about all the studios just release a lot more content, new and old. Then I will make decisions about good & bad releases with my wallet.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantchicken /forum/post/12985923

Well, look on the bright side-- at least it's not Ryan's Daughter.

·
Registered
200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arecsa /forum/post/12985125

Back to the HD DVD forum, troll.

Good stuff from Sony. Looking forward to this, hopefully it sells well enough to lead to more catalog titles from Sony and other studios.

I'm a troll cause i stated a fact about the movie being old. You crack me up. Grow up.

·
Registered
784 Posts

Quote:

Old movie who cares.

One of the big problems that I see is that studios insist on releasing third rate action and horror movies while ignoring the classic titles in their catalog. That's fine if you want to appeal to a certain narrow demographic but foolish if you want to gain wider appeal into the consumer market.

There are other Lean films that I would have preferred before PtI, like The Bridge on the River Kwai, Doctor Zhivago, and Lawrence of Arabia, but at least it's a start. Probably a rental for me but one to look forward to.

·
Registered
309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 /forum/post/12987394

Well, look on the bright side-- at least it's not Ryan's Daughter.

I realize RYAN'S DAUGHTER is generally not well regarded, yet some critics found much to like in the film. And I must say I have always considered Robert Mitchum's perfomance in the movie one of his best. Yes, it is fair to say it's a bit overblown as a love story, but the scene of the landing of the guns during the sea storm has seldom been equaled.

Love the story or not, this would look beautiful in HD. I'm happy to have bought the DVD version which itself is quite gorgeous.

A PASSAGE TO INDIA is another exquisitely photographed movie. It's a bit of a shame that the ire that RYAN received discouraged Lean from using a widescreen format for PASSAGE, but even so the cinematography is beautiful to behold. And this time Lean had a truly epic story to tell.

==

Dan

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

Quote:

Old movie who cares.

I think you are in the wrong forum.

Btw, you do realize that the movies you watch nowadays will be considered old at some point right? So does that make them any worse then they are now?

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
I'll be getting this one. Even a hard core scifi-action fan like me appreciates great period films, dramas, etc. Passage to India was on my to-buy DVD list anyway; coming out in BD is all the sweeter
Judy Davis, all the acting and the cinematography make it a very well done film.

Too bad some of the PS3-type folks can't or won't expand their horizons.

"Old" doesn't = bad, just like "new" doesn't = good.

Plus, it's a good sign that we will eventually see that crusty, moldy oldie Lawrence of Arabia make it out of Sony's vaults to BD

1 - 18 of 18 Posts