AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just about to purchase some cinema 10s, seen my total in the cart and can pump more cash into the fronts if it would equal better SQ.

any ideas for a mtm with a more expensive woofer like B&C or AE ? would there even be a significant SQ difference?

my fusion 10 pures are great, but ignorance is bliss xD

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
There could be a sound quality difference.....going backwards. There have been 3 expensive designs using B&C woofers that got scrapped because the Eminence sounded better. One was the 1899.

Price of the woofer doesn't always mean it will sound better.....it might just mean they're more expensive because they had to pay shipping from another country. ;)

I know a company that uses B&C in their speakers and told me 'we only use them because people think their better'. True story.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
great info. if i were to try and total diy i was thinking of using duel TD12x in parallel, but with my knowledge i couldnt expect to be as good as a well rounded kit let alone supersede it with much more money invested.

i have no brand loyalty. heck they will be in a baffle behind a screen, just SQ.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Well, how about telling us what could make the Pure better. You said they sounded great, but not perfect and you're about to spend more. is there something like bass or detail or output that you'd like to improve. Depending on what that is there may be a better option, but the Cinema 10 is tremendous value if you ask me. It's pretty hard to beat in my totally biased opinion.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the pures were bought in october till i can get my hands on some 1099s. they will then be for the surround back.

at -0 and 12 feet the pures feel like they start to lose clarity and low end a bit, i might be pushing the seating back to 15 feet too.

its hard to get a point of reference of what great sound is with so many variables and little first hand listening. i do have a set of r300s in my bedroom and noticed watching the theory of everything when the fireworks went off, it had a solid clean punch that startled me. i didnt get quite that reaction in the theater room.

i guess the bottom line is i dont know lol, id let budget dictate my setup for the front stage.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
I don't know if it would sound any better but I love the look of a another two 10s below the cinema 10. Just the look of the drivers (i know his is behind wall.... Thinking about me )
Would be better midbass from 80 to 150hz maybe.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
What are the r300s? I wonder what would happen if you played them in your HT on the fireworks scene, perhaps there's a big 150hz mode in your bedroom making for a dynamic, but colored experience. If it is a bass region thing then the dual 10s will certainly provide more, double in fact. Are you sitting closer in your bedroom than your HT? 15ft is a fairly long throw for speakers, but the Cinema 10 would have no issue. The Pure will do reference but it'll use everything it's got at 100hz to do it. Meaning 3 or 4mm of excursion while also reproducing up to 1500hz. So there might be a hint of modulation distortion and the woofer will be becoming less linear. If audessay or anything else is adding another 3 or 6db of boost anywhere around 100 to 150hz then the Fusion 10 is going to struggle a bit at reference. This could be the opposite of your bedroom. All of this is speculation, but would make sense given your comment about fireworks and dynamics. If that is the issue you need more woofage. Either an MBM or a bigger speaker. Not necessarily a more expensive speaker.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kef r300. thanks for clearing that up. the cinema 10s are in the cart. i dont think i adequately conveyed my question. now that i think about it, a cinema 10 with different drivers wouldnt be a cinema 10 :rolleyes:

im wondering any builds or plans for a mtm 10" or 12" using say AE woofers, if so would there be a decent sound quality advantage.

why would i ask this? the cinema 10 may be built around design constraints of budget or easily accessible parts, or it simply is of no benefit to spend more on components because there is no discernible advantage. Erich H seemed to clear this up for me "There could be a sound quality difference.....going backwards. There have been 3 expensive designs using B&C woofers that got scrapped because the Eminence sounded better. One was the 1899."

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
There will eventually be a Cinema-12.

At some point there may be single woofer models using more expensive drivers too, but it will be a while and probably not worth waiting for.

On the near horizon is a 3 way using an 8" B&C for a midrange. There's also a design that's pretty much done using an 8" B&C (rubber surround for good low end) with a nice dome tweeter inside a SEOS-8.

Stepping up over the 8" line, B&C has a lot more competition and their products don't really stand out as much until you get into their larger subwoofers.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Ya I see what you mean. Most of what a higher end woofer will get you is a more expensive motor (magnet, coil, etc.). This can mean less distortion and a higher and more linear excursion. I really feel this is a high cost to performance ratio and there are better ways to improve, so I rarely spend big bucks on woofers. Tweeters on the other hand I'll pay more for to get the directivity, low XO, and sensitivity I need. These simply cost more money.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Ya I see what you mean. Most of what a higher end woofer will get you is a more expensive motor (magnet, coil, etc.). This can mean less distortion and a higher and more linear excursion. I really feel this is a high cost to performance ratio and there are better ways to improve, so I rarely spend big bucks on woofers. Tweeters on the other hand I'll pay more for to get the directivity, low XO, and sensitivity I need. These simply cost more money.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
Will this Cinema-12 be the mtm version with 2 pro 12" 1000 watt woofers that will be geared towards mid bass and high sensitivity??
This would be a JTR 212 noesis clone for a third of the price!!

If it was a 212 Clone I think it would be more like the new 212TT and not the 212HT. The 212HT is a 3way design with a coax mid/high compression driver, but the new 212TT is a 2way design.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.