AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our family room is one of the worst acoustic environments you could imagine, vaulted ceilings, hardwood floors, stone fireplace and an open floor plan. When I first moved in I almost cried, my very expensive music focused HT gear sounded pretty bad. After some work with placement, rugs and new furniture it became decent. That system was made up of a Proceed AVP & AMP5, B&W Nautilus 803s, an HTM2 and SCM surrounds.

We are now in process of building a dedicated theater and I moved all that gear out of the living room. I wanted to replace it with a simple 2 channel system since we mostly use it for music and I didn't want to spend a lot of money. I have always wanted a pair of maggies even though every time I audition them I find they are too revealing. Things that sound good sound great, but things that sound bad can really sound bad. I picked up a cheap Yamaha RX596 to replace the avp/amp5 and ordered MMG-Ws assuming I could send them back if I couldn't live with them. I had an old 8 inch "sub" (specifically designed to augment book shelf speakers for music performance) from RDL acoustics lying around which I used to augment the MMG-Ws.

I have been nothing but impressed with this setup. Everything from from rock to opera to tv sounds great. I guess the maggies really need room volume to preform, small in store listening rooms don't do them justice. When I ordered I figured there was about a 50% chance I wouldn't be able to live with them, but now they are staying where they are. They aren't perfect, but I couldn't get any better without spending 3 or 4 times as much.

The highest praise came the other night when my wife said that the MMG-Ws sound better than the old setup. I am glad she didn't give me trouble about spending 20x more on speakers for the theater. :) You know what, in many cases I think she might be right, they do a great job of filling the space with music. The big test will come when the theater is built. I am quite sure it will sound better than the living room. At least I hope so. I will let you know what she says when we are done down there.

BTW: I know this is written as a "I have __ and love them" thread, but value here is that I found maggies can work is the difficult environment described in the first paragraph and found in many new homes.

·
Registered
162 Posts
yeah i know i could just call them, but i am at work. I know that they had some problems with out of stock, just checking what they told you. TIA

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mine shipped out the next day, but make sure you are home for delivery. They will NOT leave them even with a signed note.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraab
Our family room is one of the worst acoustic environments you could imagine, vaulted ceilings, hardwood floors, stone fireplace and an open floor plan. When I first moved in I almost cried, my very expensive music focused HT gear sounded pretty bad. After some work with placement, rugs and new furniture it became decent. That system was made up of a Proceed AVP & AMP5, B&W Nautilus 803s, an HTM2 and SCM surrounds.

We are now in process of building a dedicated theater and I moved all that gear out of the living room. I wanted to replace it with a simple 2 channel system since we mostly use it for music and I didn't want to spend a lot of money. I have always wanted a pair of maggies even though every time I audition them I find they are too revealing. Things that sound good sound great, but things that sound bad can really sound bad. I picked up a cheap Yamaha RX596 to replace the avp/amp5 and ordered MMG-Ws assuming I could send them back if I couldn't live with them. I had an old 8 inch "sub" (specifically designed to augment book shelf speakers for music performance) from RDL acoustics lying around which I used to augment the MMG-Ws.

I have been nothing but impressed with this setup. Everything from from rock to opera to tv sounds great. I guess the maggies really need room volume to preform, small in store listening rooms don't do them justice. When I ordered I figured there was about a 50% chance I wouldn't be able to live with them, but now they are staying where they are. They aren't perfect, but I couldn't get any better without spending 3 or 4 times as much.

The highest praise came the other night when my wife said that the MMG-Ws sound better than the old setup. I am glad she didn't give me trouble about spending 20x more on speakers for the theater. :) You know what, in many cases I think she might be right, they do a great job of filling the space with music. The big test will come when the theater is built. I am quite sure it will sound better than the living room. At least I hope so. I will let you know what she says when we are done down there.

BTW: I know this is written as a "I have __ and love them" thread, but value here is that I found maggies can work is the difficult environment described in the first paragraph and found in many new homes.

After hearing the MC1's(purchasing them in a month or so), I do not think that I would purchase the MMG-W's due to the lack of ribbon tweeter, but this is my opinion.

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.