Votes: 1 100.0%
  • SPDIF

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this is in the wrong section, it seemed most appropriate glancing through the forum.

I currently have an Onkyo TX-SR876 (out of warranty) with a malfunctioning HDMI switch. I just ordered an Outlaw 975. What I'm wanting to do is run 192k/24 bit HDMI out from my PC to the 975, using my Onkyo as a 7.1 amplifier. I do not currently have the funds to buy a dedicated amp, the 975 will be my stepping stone to separates.

My question is what will be the highest quality connection I have available between the 876 and 975 without using the 876's screwy HDMI box?

I believe the only options I have available are RCAs, optical, and SPDIF.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Dunno who voted for the Toslink option!

The question here isn't about the highest quality connection, because the traditional and correct way to connect a MCH pre-amp and MCH amp (or an AVR used as a MCH power amp) is via analogue RCA.

If you use SPDIF, there are a few problems/limitations:

1. Even if the Outlaw has SPDIF out (I dunno), I'd be most surprised it would route HDMI audio to it.

2. SPDIF won't pass MCH PCM nor the new codecs and may not even pass 24/192 stereo let alone MCH.

You will still be using the Onkyo as an AVR to process the digital input and control volume, not as a power amp. This makes the Outlaw redundant.

EDIT: the Outlaw does not have SPDIF OUTPUTS, only INPUTS.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/processors/outlaw-audio-model-975-pre/975GaBackHuge.jpg/image_view_fullscreen

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Yah, you only have only one way to hook up the Outlaw 975 to your Onkyo TX-SR876. Connect the pre-outs on the Outlaw to the multichannel input of the Onkyo. Both the Outlaw's and Onkyo's volume controls will be in circuit, so that may cause confusion. You're probably best leaving the Outlaw's fixed at a level that doesn't cause input clipping on the Onkyo and using the Onkyo's controls to adjust the volume.

I think maybe getting the Outlaw was premature. You might have been better off getting an HDMI switch box with SPDIF out or connecting your PC direclty to your Onkyo using a SPDIF cable. You'd lose some quality, but you'd probably not actually notice the difference, and it's a lot cheaper and probably more convienient option until you can afford to properly replace your Onkyo.

btw. TOSLink is a form of SPDIF. SPDIF can refer to either optical or coaxial digital audio connections using the SPDIF format. TOSLink only refers to optical audio connections using SPDIF. SPDIF is functionally equivilent whether using optical or coaxial cables are used, so there's no quality difference between the two.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts