AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 50" lcd or plasma display. I don't care about name brand or features. I just want the best pq that money can buy (well, within reason). I've read through these forums and there are a lot of opinions comparing between 2 or 3 models, usually based on price range and size. If size is my only limitation, what would you recommend?

Also, I recently heard about a new flat panel display that uses a new Texas Instrument chip and mirror apparatus that supposedly delivers an incredible picture. I don't know if it's DLP technology or not, but I thought I'd mention it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The TI chip is DLP, you can see them at the store and you can read all about them in the RPTV thread on AVS.

For your 50, most would say Fujitsu P50 or Pioneer Elite/503CMX. The P50 is less than a year old and based on the Panasonic glass. The Pio is older and being replaced by a new lineup starting later this year.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I second that, Fujitsu (P50), Panasonic Th-50PWD6UY, Pioneer 503cmx

now or 504cmx soon.

Jim

·
Registered
388 Posts
My mistake, the Panasonic is TH-50PHD6Y.

Check out Plasma extreme's price, newer panel

lower price. Way to go Lisa!

Jim

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of your responses. I'll check these out personally. One question: what is the difference between the consumer and industrial models?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the information. After reading the posts and doing some shopping of the consumer models for visual comparison, I'm finding that the amount of glare and picture brightness are the two most important factors for my viewing room. Unfortunately, it's all windows. I know that the brightness of the screens is standardized and published by the manufacturers, but what about glare reduction? Some sets were noticeably better than others, but it's hard to tell sometimes when the models are in different rooms of the store and playing different sources. Is there a way of rating them that I don't know about? If not, are there any models known in the industry that do a better or worse job with glare?

Also, if I decide to go with a consumer model instead of industrial, would you all still recommend the same brands or would your choices be different?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Plasmas love bright rooms. I've got a bank of glass doors near my Pio 503 and it is not the slightest problem. When I turn on the flourescent or incandescent fixtures in that room, the plasma can even look better for it.

Any technology with a glass screen can have a glare problem. You just need to pick your location wisely or eliminate the source of glare. I haven't been impressed by any particular plasma brand's immunity to glare.

As far as model choice, if I were looking right now, I'd strongly consider the new Pio 5040HD. I'd just want to make sure that one of the HDMI connectors works well with a DVI STB and the other can do well with DVI from a PC. This remains to be seen. Howard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.