AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any LT150 owners pls let me know how many lines of resolution the projector is able to clearly show when using either the Video Essentials or Avia test patterns?

I have just started evaluating my new LT150 (Dell deal - Nov 2000 manuf. date) and it's hooked up to the progressive output of a Malata N996 player. When looking at the resolution wedges in VE or Avia, I am definitely not getting a clear line structure after about 480 or so lines (horizontal and vertical resolution). There is obvious softening of detail at frequencies above 5 MHz. I am wondering if this is because of the scaler in the LT150 or the video cable I am using (DIY Canare 75 ohm coax cables spliced to the RGB wires from a D sub 15 connector).

DVD movies look superb, but I am wondering if I am losing sharpness for some reason. I have looked at the projector output when it was connected to a computer (no DVD drive in the machine) and showing Display Mate test patterns. The resolution was perfect. Before I go and get a short length breakout cable, I am wondering if any forum members might be able to shed light on this issue.

------------------

Sundar

Vancouver, Canada

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump. Come on esteemed members. Surely I am not seeking difficult data here. There must be many users of the LT150 with a progressive scan DVD player. Can you pls confirm the resolution you are seeing?

Thank you.

------------------

Sundar

Vancouver, Canada

·
Registered
665 Posts
You do not get the maximum resolution from LT150 unless you use RGB input (not component).

If you use RGB input your display source must be able to display 1024x768 (e.g. scaler or HTPC) to get full use of LT150 capabilities. Short of that you just have to be happy with the DVD player's native resolutions.

------------------

- Balance Between

- Quality & Price!

------------------

Editor of the AVS Skyworth FAQ and Official Panasonic RP91 Firmware Upgrade Request from OWNERS pages.

[This message has been edited by Yahoo (edited 08-16-2001).]

·
Premium Member
25,501 Posts
"You do not get the maximum resolution from LT150 unless you use RGB input (not component)."

Are you sure about that? Are you saying a scaler that can output 1024x768 as either component or RGB is sharper with RGB?

Also, what's the significance of different LT150 mfg dated? Were there changes made at a certain time?

Thamks

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yahoo's post leaves me scratching my head a bit. Surely the LT150 can resolve the same signal (except that it is 480p and not 480i) better than my Sony PVM2950 27" production monitor. With my Toshiba 3109 DVD playing back the same resolution wedge on the Sony, I could see all the lines in the wedge all the way down to the bottom.

The only difference now is that the LT150 is showing a 480p signal from the Malata. DVD's horizontal resolution of 720 pixels is nowhere as high as what the LT150 can do and I am pretty sure that if I set the Malata to output 480p as an RGB signal (which it can), I will see the same loss of detail.

Maybe I have to test the Malata with the Sony monitor first and verify if its interlaced output is showing full resolution. Then I should check for differences between the Malata's interlaced and progressive outputs on the LT150. This may hold the key. I hope Grant Smyth is reading this - perhaps he can hook up his LT150 to the Tosh 5109's 480p outputs and see how good the wedge looks.

Noah - I just mentioned the manufacturing date as an aside. I think that most Dell LT150's were from an older batch of projectors.

------------------

Sundar

Vancouver, Canada

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.