1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Video Card: ATI AIW 8500

HTDV Adapter: DVI to Component

TV: 27" JVC AV27S33 JVC AV27S33

I can't configure any resolutions/timings above 640x480. I'm trying to confirm that my problem is my ability to use powerstrip, and not a limitation of my hardware. I've tried the custom 4:3 timinigs from the Radeon-Powerstrip tutorial thread, but that hasn't helped.

·
Registered
925 Posts
That is probably because your JVC does not accept anything above 640x480. It might do 720x480, but probably nothing higher than that.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Actually your TV will accept two video modes, commonly referred to as 480i and 240p. These are analog modes with no direct computer-equivalent resolution specs.

480i has odd and even interlaced frames each with 240 scan lines, and horizontal resolution limited only by the bandwidth of your video amp, specified in "lines" which in your case is 600 lines, defined as the number of vertical lines that can be resolved in the center 3/4's of the screen width. The frames are displayed alternately and offset vertically by 1 line width to blend togather on the screen.

The 240p mode is identical in timing and differs only in that the odd and even frames are identical and not vertically offset. This mode is used by gaming consoles such as the original NES.

Your PC is outputting in a video mode that is progressive scan, not interlaced, by writing into reserved video memory locations called "the overlay space". Then another chip called a RAMDAC reads the information in the overlay space and creates the 480i or 240p output.

If the image being displayed originates on a DVD or MPEG file on hard drive, the only tweeking you can do is with the overlay space controls (typically brightness/contrast/saturation, maybe overscan). If the image originates as a Quicktime file (which does not consistently support overlay imaging) you may see zip on the TV.

For displaying the windows desktop, you might experiment to see which Windows resolutions produce outputs on the TV. My own video board produces TV output from overlay images at 640X480, 800X600, and 1024X768 windows resolutions - but SVGA produces the sharper result on a TV.

If you want better quality video, you will have to step up to an HD-capable monitor/TV, typically $1500 and up (that much gets you 47-inch diagonal RPTV in 16:9 or 4:3). Alternately, you could spend the same money on an entry-level projector and get a 90" display, but only for a fully darkened room.

Gary

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you.

I know it isn't an HDTV, I should have clarified that. I guess my misconception comes from the fact that through the S-Video oon the video card, I can display higher resolutions on my TV, so I assumed that I could display the higher resolution through the component inputs also (just a better quality image).

I guess I'll have to stick with the S-Video input, because the TV is going into an Arcade cabinet I'm building. I am running Mame on my computer and the image is truncated by 640x480. Any other suggestions other than settling for S-Video? I appreciate the help and have learned alot in the last couple of weeks, but I still know nothing...

·
Registered
221 Posts
The higher resolutions available to you through s-video just scan convert the higher number of pixels down to 640x480 picture. It gives you a larger desktop using the same number of pixels.

The component outputs aren't scan converting - the card actually puts out the number of pixels requested.

Andrew

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, but does that mean there is no solution to use component?

Component at 640x480 looks better than S-Video at 640x480 so it is apparent that component will look better than s-video when all else is equal. If S-Video is scan converting the image, can I get the component output to scan convert the image?

Right now, I am faced with using the scan converted S-Video. I'm all about options...

Do I have any other options?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.