AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure if I should post here or somewhere else.

TV: Sony KE-42TS2U (It is a plasma tv with a 1024x1024 resolution)

Xbox 360 Arcade

Problem: My component cables only let my 360 do 480p. I have the to set to use Y/G, Pb, Pr/R mode. When I set my TV to RGB mode everything goes green. On my the back of my tv I have the Y/G, Pb/B, Pr/R which I have plugged my component cables into and i also have HD and VD jacks. Now the manual states I also need to plug cables into the HD and VD. What cables do plug in there? My component cables also have the composite audio cables which are being used and also the video composite cable which is not being used. So how do connect my 360 to my tv to get a higher resolution or do I need to use another cable set (vga or hdmi/dvi) to connect my 360 for a higher resolution.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
the problem is your oddball native resolution... anything you pick will probably lead to scaling somewhere, maybe multiple times.

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
formula - Almost everything has an "oddball native resolution", dude. Pretty much everything that isn't the recent crop of 1920x1080 displays had odd reolutions of widescreen 1024x768, 1024x1024, 1024x1080, and the very common, but still not "right" 1366x768. Even on the 1920x1080 displays, they almost universally still scale even 1080p input to avoid consumers calling them about overscan related issues. In short, your argument holds no water and is insulting to the reader.

night - The most likely problem is that your component cable has the switch that is physically located on the cable set to "SD" and not "HD". Hit that switch.
Flipping through your manual, the display is old, but it does support 720p/1080i over component and DVI. Given the age of the display, it's deinterlacing is undoubtedly horrible, and as such 720p is most likely the vastly superior choice of the two HD formats to use.

You may also want to look in to a HDMI-to-DVI cable. DVI on your display supports 720p/1080i as well, and will probably look a bit cleaner than component.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. My component cables do not have the HD/TV switch. They were $10 at compusa. I guess thats what I get for cheaping out on the cables but figured anything would be better than the composite cables I was using.

I think I'm just gonna buy an HDMI-DVI cable. But I was wondering if you guys could push me in the right direction to buy the audio adapter that only has the Optical Out and Composite Audio?

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
There are Chinese knowck-offs of the Audio Dongle out there, but they tend to have an issue. They are wired like a VGA cable, not like the real dongle. As such, they reset the Xbox anytime the display is changed away from the HDMI input. I don't know if that means that the issue would not be present in your DVI setup, or if it would cause it to never properly output video.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24868

It's $9 plus 3 weeks of waiting for your item to import to test it out. Or you can pick up the cable from a local dealer for $50 retail. Unfortunately, the outsides of the knockoff look great. As such, you can't trust anything off of ebay or even local used shops to be the proper version of the device.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

On the other hand, the DVI cable you want is like $4.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Did you make sure to set the 360 to output 720p/1080i in the console settings? I don't see any reason you shouldn't get HD output with your connections, unless those cables are garbage. You should be able to ignore HD and VD, since those are for hooking up an RGB source that will use horizontal/vertical. 1024x1024 sounds like one of those crazy ALiS panels, so you might find 1080i preferable as well.

Also, you can easily modify the factory 360 component cables to use both hdmi and the included optical port. I'm not sure what yours look like, but maybe a little surgery might be in order.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When i set it to the resolution to 720p or 1080i it just switches back to 480p after I confirmed I want that resolution. It says I need to put my component cables to to HDTV as it is currently set to TV. But I have no switch on my cables.

What is thios surgery that you speak of? I love to get my hands a little dirty. If it'll let not buy the audio adapter.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
It sounds like you have some knock-off cables that aren't designed properly if they don't have the switch. Ideally you would just use the the cable that comes with the Xbox 360 which has both composite and component connections, but if you have a "cheapy" Xbox 360 model that only came with composite, then you need a different cable.

You need to hook-up the three component video RCA connectors to your television, that is the green, blue, and red connections need to plug into your TV's Y, Pb and Pr holes. Make sure you are using the "red" connector on the cable that is for component video and not the right analog audio cable! In any case, once you do that, at the base of the cable, right where it plugs into the Xbox 360, you will notice that the plastic is very thick. Check this thick plastic part carefully to see if you can find a small switch located on it; slide the switch to HD.

Monoprice makes a knock-off cable that actually has the switch:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

·
Registered
1,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightryder21 /forum/post/17012981

When i set it to the resolution to 720p or 1080i it just switches back to 480p after I confirmed I want that resolution. It says I need to put my component cables to to HDTV as it is currently set to TV. But I have no switch on my cables.

What is thios surgery that you speak of? I love to get my hands a little dirty. If it'll let not buy the audio adapter.

You can pop the plastic shell off of the MS branded cables so you don't have to buy the audio dongle:

http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50

Since it sounds like you have some aftermarket component cables, this might not work for you. Do you know what brand cables you do have? A picture or brand name might help get your 480p issue straightened out...

·
Registered
9,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames /forum/post/17011284

formula - Almost everything has an "oddball native resolution", dude. Pretty much everything that isn't the recent crop of 1920x1080 displays had odd reolutions of widescreen 1024x768, 1024x1024, 1024x1080, and the very common, but still not "right" 1366x768. Even on the 1920x1080 displays, they almost universally still scale even 1080p input to avoid consumers calling them about overscan related issues. In short, your argument holds no water and is insulting to the reader.

i wasnt insulting anyone... you can say that every resolution standard is "oddball" but the fact still stands, he has one of the most rare native resolutions in an "hd" display, i use the term loosely because it's arguable whether or not that panel actually meets any HD standards.

as to his question of "highest resolution possible"... i was trying to consider his options and prevent double scaling or worse.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts