AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some time ago, I saw a couple of pictures of HTs that utilized a door hinge-style screen wall that allowed the user to gain access to the rear of the screen by simply having it swing out. For the life of me, I can't find the thread where I stumbled upon these installations, but the concept piqued my interest.

I will be ordering a fairly large AT screen from Seymour - their 162" 2.35 with CIH motorized masking. The width of the screen is 158.6", the height is 69.9", and the weight is 75lbs. The screen wall in its entirety will be 15'W X 8'H.

Here is a crude graphic that shows the dimensions of the screen laid out on the dimensions of the wall:

And some in-room renders:

A top-down view:

Why a hinged wall? I'll have a subwoofer for each corner of the room, and because I desire such a large screen, there really isn't any room to do a simple removable access panel on either side of the screen. The next plan was to just install an acutal door in the wall (top-right in the last picture) for rear-screen access, however there are going to be bass traps and a large sub (even larger if I have my way soon) in that corner, which would block said door.

So, obviously I can't just strap a piano hinge onto the screen frame and call it a day. I realize I'd need to build a sturdy screen wall (buh-bye Minimalist Goal Post Solutions) with a wheel at the opposite end of the swinging portion to support the weight and provide a smoother movement. And to be clear, I am not adding a hinge directly to the screen frame. The screen will be mounted to the wall safely, and that portion of wall would be hinged to swing open.

But, any ideas as to how I might engineer this?

Other miscellaneous info if it helps: Room is 15x21', area behind screen is 3' deep (meaning the usable "HT" space is 15'x18'), seating distance from screen is 12'.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My screen is not as big as yours but I just completed mine that swings out with CIW masking. Check out my build thread in my signature.
Thanks for chiming in! I'll absolutely check that out right now.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,071 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'll be following this... my room is really close to yours in size and I will likely be putting my rack behind the screen as there is really no other place to put it.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I had come across this one when I was building out my room.

This is a swing UP that @youthman walks you through of his build.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts