AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On www.projectorcentral.com, there's a new Recommendtion Notice. Review of the Sanyo Z1 will be posted tommorow, and InFocus X1 by Thursday. (Z1 vs. X1; battle of the 1s!) As a result, PC has dropped its current recommendations in the under $2.5k category. Hint Hint.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I don't think you could pick one over the other. LCD vs DLP is near Apple-to-oranges.

I hope they give both a ringing endorsement

they seem to give multiple recommendations in each category.

·
Registered
650 Posts
"The picture is great for the money, but it's got a couple of quirks that buyers will want to know about."

Huh, that sounds kinda lukewarm. From all the great reviews the Z1 has gotten on this forum, I'm wondering why they don't sound more excited about it. Maybe they're trying to downplay it for some reason until the actual review is posted. They say that a pj is "great for the price" for damn near every pj they review. And I wonder what "quirks" they're talking about. If the random fan spin-up is one of them, what's the other one?

Mike U.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My guess is that he'll recommend the Z1 if you mainly are 16:9, and the X1 if you are mainly 4:3

Strange, on the page it says ";2.5k" but at the top of the thread it says "

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I just exchanged some email with Evan and he indicated that he will be getting an AE300 soon. That should make things interesting.

--Darin

·
Registered
211 Posts
Will look forward to reviews.

I like the blacks, etc of X1 but I'll mostly be watching DVDs and HDTV so the Z1 16x9 seems better suited.

BUT I also have a collection of laser discs I'd like to watch projected and what I"m reading is that the X1s scaler is preferred for this but it's a 4x3 unit.

Any suggestions or thoughts??

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
The Infocus will probably allow you to view 16:9 movies by using a mode setting (widescreen mode).

My Sanyo does this.

It's a 4:3 projector but I can make the picture smaller by doing this.

I like the X1 myself but I'll be glad when 1024x768 is the norm for $1500 - $2000 projectors with dlp.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pcdoctor
My Sanyo does this.

It's a 4:3 projector but I can make the picture smaller by doing this.
Not sure what you mean by make the picture smaller doing this.

Hey.. NICE home theater by the way.

Wish I had room for such. I noticed you have Laserdiscs. How do these look projected? What connection do you use to feed lasers to pj? And with your 4:3 projecter how do the letterbox lasers appear (small, etc?)?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.