AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering adding a MyHD or HiPix to a Mitsubishi WS-65905 and don't want to get everything installed and find out there is some hidden gotcha that will make me regret it.

The set only plays 480i, 480p, or 1080i and has Y Pr Pb or G R B H V inputs.

I would hope that it would function as the only display (no computer monitor needed) and that I could use a Radeon 7000 on an Athlon XP 1700+ ECS K7S5A system running Win2000.

I understand that the HiPix cannot record normal broadcasts, only HDTV.

1. I'm told that when not in 1080i, the HDTV channels have the normal broadcasts in some kind of lower def HDTV signal. Can the HiPix record these?

2. Is it feasible to output the digital outputs of the cards to sound card - and then route the digital output from the sound card (have not chosen one yet) to my receiver. So that I could play DVDs (I guess only decrypted ones with MyHD) in DTS - and of course hear the HDTV shows in whatever audio format they use?

3. Do these cards play DVDs with equal quality to a Faroujda DVD player - or can I use a software player to play DVDs outputted thru these cards (which player is best quality?) and of course be able to play DVDs in DTS?

4. I've heard that the software players scale DVDs well with projection sets, but mine is not - and it has no aspect control (on the DVD inputs, I have no idea if such a thing exists no the HDTV inputs). Again, am I going to be able to get good DVD quality, or should I cross this off my wish list and use an external player?

5. Is the HDTV recording going to be an exact copy of the show - or is there going to be degradation?

6. Is it realistic to use must the HDTV as the monitor (this is only for HDTV and DVD viewing, no games, etc. desired).

7. Besides the MyHD or HiPix, what else do I need to buy?

8. Which of the 2 cards has better support, better software, etc?

9. Which dealer to purchase card provides best support?

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lescaudle
I'm considering adding a MyHD or HiPix to a Mitsubishi WS-65905 and don't want to get everything installed and find out there is some hidden gotcha that will make me regret it.
The set only plays 480i, 480p, or 1080i and has Y Pr Pb or G R B H V inputs.

--Use the RGBHV inputs, and you can toggle between the HiPix and a Windows desktop set to (typically) 640x480 or 960x540 'HDTV derived' resolutions in the Powerstrip program.

I would hope that it would function as the only display (no computer monitor needed) and that I could use a Radeon 7000 on an Athlon XP 1700+ ECS K7S5A system running Win2000.

--Yes, this setup should work. Also see answer to #6 below.

I understand that the HiPix cannot record normal broadcasts, only HDTV.

--That is true.

1. I'm told that when not in 1080i, the HDTV channels have the normal broadcasts in some kind of lower def HDTV signal. Can the HiPix record these?

--The HiPix can record all formats of U.S. (ATSC) digital TV, including the 'SDTV' ones you mention.

2. Is it feasible to output the digital outputs of the cards to sound card - and then route the digital output from the sound card (have not chosen one yet) to my receiver. So that I could play DVDs (I guess only decrypted ones with MyHD) in DTS - and of course hear the HDTV shows in whatever audio format they use?

--Some people do this, but it is tricky. An easier solution is to have two digital outputs from the computer to your receiver (HiPix and a sound board's output).

3. Do these cards play DVDs with equal quality to a Faroujda DVD player - or can I use a software player to play DVDs outputted thru these cards (which player is best quality?) and of course be able to play DVDs in DTS?

--On my 61" RPTV set, the output this way is about equal to a direct computer output (see answer to #4 below). Which one 'is best' is a matter of opinion and constant debate; I like WinDVD combined with the Zoom Player add-on. You do not need a 'DTS decoding version' of a player if you are going to send a digital signal to your external receiver as you describe.

4. I've heard that the software players scale DVDs well with projection sets, but mine is not - and it has no aspect control (on the DVD inputs, I have no idea if such a thing exists no the HDTV inputs). Again, am I going to be able to get good DVD quality, or should I cross this off my wish list and use an external player?

--Most software DVD players have excellent quality, and you will feed your set's HDTV input from the computer itself as described above (RGBHV).

5. Is the HDTV recording going to be an exact copy of the show - or is there going to be degradation?

--It will be an exact copy.

6. Is it realistic to use must the HDTV as the monitor (this is only for HDTV and DVD viewing, no games, etc. desired).

--Not only is it realistic, it is great! Doing other computer tasks like browsing or e-mail is not as comfortable as a 'normal' monitor on a desk, though.

7. Besides the MyHD or HiPix, what else do I need to buy?

--Just a sound board with digital output (read here on AVSF to help choose one), and an "HD15 (VGA)-to-5-RCA" cable (or VGA to 5 BNCs, plus 5 BNC-to-RCA adapters) to feed your set, and some huge hard drives or a DVD+RW drive for recordings.

8. Which of the 2 cards has better support, better software, etc?

--Both have good reputations here on AVS Forum. The HiPix is being supported directly by a team of AVS Forum members, and I have been happy with mine for nearly two years.

9. Which dealer to purchase card provides best support?

--Digital Connection for the MyHD, or send a message to 'mkanet' (who works for the maker of the HiPix) for a HiPix.

--One more suggestion: Read, read, read here on AVS Forum to learn and understand more about everything-and good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just built my HD recorder with the following:

FIC AD11 motherboard $30

AMD XP1600 CPU $65

256 MB PC2100 RAM $35

80 GB Western Digital 7200 RPM HD $90

Antec case $50

CDROM $20

Belkin Wifi USB Wireless LAN $30

BTC RF Wireless Keyboard/Mouse $40

MyHD Capture card $300

Windows 2000, Service pack 3

PowerStrip (shareware)

Sound Card not required, use either digital out on MyHD or built-in on MB (analog stereo)

This setup has been stable, and records beautiful HD and SD. I really like the interface between TitanTV.....click and record.

I am running into the RGB inputs on the Mits 55819. No transcoder req'd.

Thanks to all the previous posts for making setup easier.

:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.