AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to put together my first HTPC and finally after a few weeks of trying to decide whether to go with the Hauppauge WinTV-HD, AccessDTV or Telemann HiPix card I think I am ready to purchase the HiPix card.

One thing concerns me. Will I be able to use this card with digital cable?

In one review that compares the 3 cards, it lists the WinTV-HD and AccessDTV as able to be used with either 8-VSB or QAM digital cable signals while the HiPix does not support QAM. What does this mean?

If I take the signal coming out of my cable set-top box and connect it to the HiPix input will I be able to view the digital picture but not an HD picture if the cable company is providing HD channels (currently HBO and Showtime)?

Or would I just not get any picture at all and I would be better off connecting the output from the cable box directly to my monitor/TV?

Is this a big enough concern to consider one of the other two cards? I really appreciate some help from the "experts".

thanks,

MurrayW :confused:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
This topic has been covered a few times. If you search the forum you should be able to dig up a complete explanation of the situation.

As for your specific question, the HiPix can't receive digital cable signals.

The WinTV-HD and AccessDTV are technically able to receive unencrypted digital cable signals the comply with the OpenCable standard, but neither card is currently configured to do so. OpenCable is a standard developed by Cable Labs to ensure the various cable systems around the country all adopt compatible technology. The idesa being that in the future your TV will be digital cable ready and should work anywhere in the country. As part of the OpenCable standard there are access restriction technology like access cards used in DBS receivers.

At any rate, it should only be a matter of software as long as your local digital cable system uses 64 or 256 QAM with unencrypted MPEG-2 data.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.