AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First want to thank you guys for all the great work on the HiPix app.

I know the "wish list" is just that, but I was wondering if I could get a little insight as to future development as it will save me some time and more importantly some money.

I noticed a while back that "Playing DVD VOB files on the HiPix" was on the development list. Can you all tell me if this is something that is a.) possible; and b.) is someone planning to work on?

It will save me the expense of a monitor swithcing device & a Video Card upgrade and a whole bunch of fun with Powerstrip to get my Video Loop Back working so I can watch ripped DVD files.

Thanks for the info.

· Banned
3,772 Posts
That topic doesn't necessarily answer your question.

As a recap regarding DVD playback:

#1: Telemann had already started work on such a feature

but it was unfinished when the code was handed off to

the AVSteam members. It did allow some playback

of DVD files but it had many problems like poor

aspect ratio control and processing of interactive menus.

#2: Some of us (like me) feel that software DVD players

(like PowerDVD4, Cineplayer 4) are so good that it doesn't

seem worth the effort to try to finish/fix the HiPix

DVD player.

#3: It would be a big job/project to make it work.

There are always "problem" DVDs that require constant

refining of the code to make everyone happy.

#4: There are other "more pressing" things that are being

worked on in the short term. For example we really want

to have a "VIPless" preview window that works on all

computers as well as the ability to capture still images.

Also some of the developers are in "bugfix mode" trying

to make "3.0 final" be more stable than the betas

have been so far.

Someone may get the DVD playback working someday but

I can't give you any timeline right now.

· Registered
1,250 Posts
I am quite content to use a software DVD player for DVDs. I would however like to be able to select the spdif output to use for each application. There are three spdif outputs on my computer, and I am unable to get the DVD, the CD, and the Hipix to use the same output. The one output that I DON'T want to use is on the audio card since that would take away 2 audio channels from games, but that is the only one the CD player will use. I can get the DVD player to use either the one on the video card, or the one on the audio card, but though it will let me select the Hipix output, that does not work. Of course the hipix card will only use the hipix output.

I am aware that getting this to work will require more than the Hipix team can provide, but I am hoping that nothing they do precludes this.

· Registered
2,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DAP
I am quite content to use a software DVD player for DVDs. I would however like to be able to select the spdif output to use for each application. There are three spdif outputs on my computer, and I am unable to get the DVD, the CD, and the Hipix to use the same output. The one output that I DON'T want to use is on the audio card since that would take away 2 audio channels from games, but that is the only one the CD player will use. I can get the DVD player to use either the one on the video card, or the one on the audio card, but though it will let me select the Hipix output, that does not work. Of course the hipix card will only use the hipix output.

I am aware that getting this to work will require more than the Hipix team can provide, but I am hoping that nothing they do precludes this.
I would like to see the hipix be able to use my sound cards SPDIF as a pass thru audio device. This would mean I would not need the HIPIX daughter card (i dont use the video in port) in my HTPC.

· Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just for clarification on why I would like .vob file/DVD playback:

I am not currently using my HTPC exclusively for HT stuff. It sits in my kitchen and I use it for lots of other things, thus, have a 2 monitor setup. In order for me to play DVD's on the PC, I'd have to use a VGA switch box, Powerstrip & toggle back and forth (I think?) & change video settings each time.

As with most things in life, I regularly rent DVD's and never get a chance to watch them before they are due back. Ripping them to the PC & playing them later when I have time is a good solution for me. However, the process of ripping and burning to 2 DVD-R's to play in my Set Top DVD player is just too time consuming (and frankly too expensive even with $2 DVD-R's bought in bulk).

Soooo, for me, playback of VOB's via the HiPix is a great solution - though I may be alone....

· Registered
846 Posts
At the risk of hijacking this topic into a copyright discussion, I'd like to ask if others think that what Such does is allowed by law and/or the license agreement with the video store.

On the one hand, it seems like he's violating the license by keeping the copyrighted material past the expiration of the rental period.

OTOH, isn't the original Fair Use ruling about keeping a taped copy past the time of broadcast equivalent?

Has Such described a legitimate way around Late Fees?

(If there's a thread about this subject already, as I suspect, I welcome a pointer.)

-yogaman

· Registered
1,250 Posts
Is it possible to provide hooks in the software to allow a third party to use the Hipix card for the DVD display? That way one of the software DVD players would be able to support it, and those of us who don't need DVD on the Hipix don't have to pay the liscensing fees.

· Registered
4,400 Posts
Another reason for letting HiPix play DVD's vs. software players:

This will eliminate the passthrough cables deleterious effects on the picture (namely, much softer picture, loss of detail).

It's too bad Telemann didn't finish this first before handing it over to the AVS forum members as they don't seem interested in this feature... :(

· Registered
3,858 Posts
Bump,

Now that version 3 has been released, has any more thought been given to this feature?

· Premium Member
5,820 Posts
There simply isn't enough interest amongst the Hipix developers to finish this feature. The thing that's holding things up is finding someone who has the talent to make code to take a VBR VOB/mpeg2 and convert it to an ATSC standard transport stream that the Hipix can use.

There have been several attempts at creating the code to do this conversion from different people on AVS. Unfortunately, all attempts have fallen short from correct conversion.

I personally dont see much value in this feature since even if it is working, it's still wont be anywhere near providing full DVD playback support.

· Registered
492 Posts
I bought the MyHd card as a backup to the HiPix card, and because it also played DVDs. I would have purchased a second HiPix had I had the ability to play a dvd with it.

I've been unable to successfully plug my direct view into my HTPC so a software based player gives me no value. I've got to have any video going to my set via the HiPix card (or MyHd card).

· Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Dan, how do you watch a DVD with MyHD? I thought all it can do is just play individual unencrypted VOB's; which isn't entirely useful when you want to watch a DVD movie. What about support for menus, subtitles, etc...

· Registered
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mkanet
Dan, how do you watch a DVD with MyHD? I thought all it can do is just play individual unencrypted VOB's; which isn't entirely useful when you want to watch a DVD movie. What about support for menus, subtitles, etc...
Shareware program that builds one big VOB file and lets you pick the audio track,etc.

· Registered
2,067 Posts
Yes, it plays unencrypted VOB's. So, most people use a "DVD Ripper" to De-CSS the DVD & copy it to the hard drive.

Point MyHD to the first file in the VOB series, and it plays the whole movie (it automatically plays the next VOB in the series). The quality of the DVD output is excellent. I have been using this feature much more than the HD recording.

Also, there is a rumor that they are licensing full DVD playback with the MyHD card, so ripping won't be necessary. But, I will probably still rip my favorite DVD's to the hard drive. I like being able to play any one of dozens of movies with a couple clicks of the remote.

Quote:
Originally posted by mkanet

· Registered
163 Posts
I would love a single source primarily for automation twf is very important to me. I currently run all sources through HiPix via receiver VCR, TIVO, DirecTV (Bypassing TIVO) and yes a stand alone DVD (family use). I use TT for DVD when I am watching with them. If I could use HiPix for DVD it would be very simple to automate. DVD from disk (VOB) is cool and would provide some additional automation but what I would like is DVD disk via HiPix now that would be cool. Insert DVD press the Pronto DVD button done. This would not require shutting down HiPix and stating DVD.

Just my thoughts,

KD

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.