Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After getting the kids to bed last night, I checked to see if the HiPix was recording the X-Files series finale. I took a look at the HTPC and noticed that the HDD LED was showing no activity, which was a bad sign.

I fired up my monitor and saw that there was an error dialog in the HiPix application. The error indicated that there was signal loss, check the antenna, or something like that. First I checked that Fox was coming in fine with my monitor's tuner (a Zenith). Then I went back to the HiPix. I tried stopping the recording, but still no signal. I quit and restarted the HiPix and it came up with no signal problems. The HiPix started recording, but I'd already lost 45 minutes of the show.

This is the second time that I've lost an X-Files due to apparent HiPix software problem. The first time was with the original HiPix software, something to do with a timed recording glitch. The last time was with the latest AVS beta. The show seems to be cursed when it comes to the HiPix. Maybe I should report the problem to the FBI as an X-File ;-)

It's times like this that *really* make me wish that Tivo or Replay would step up to the plate and provide us with a consumer HD capable PVR...

Best regards,

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Allen,

Did you use TitanTV to setup the recording of X-Files?

I did and ended up with 2 hours of blank recording. Seems there may be an error in the TitanTV script that sets up the recording. What happened with me was HiPix used the Fox analog channel number instead of the digital number after scheduling with TitanTV.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
I used TitanTV to set up my recording of the Xfiles last night, and I did get it recorded, although it did remap my channel number as well. Digital Fox in Denver is 32-1, while analog Fox is 31. I switched over during a survivor commercial and saw the hipix was recording from channel 31-1, but I was getting the xfiles from it. TitanTV has been doing this on all of my digital channels - remapping them to analog equivalents. Luckily, so far everything's recorded that I want recorded.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Im not too sure if this is related, but I have had a blank recording with the analog channel # being displayed on the Hipix. This happened when I unknownly scheduled a recording from TitanTV's analog TV listings.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys,

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson

Did you use TitanTV to setup the recording of X-Files?

I did and ended up with 2 hours of blank recording. Seems there may be an error in the TitanTV script that sets up the recording. What happened with me was HiPix used the Fox analog channel number instead of the digital number after scheduling with TitanTV. [/b]
Thanks for the response Cliff. Yes, I used TitanTV to set up the recording. So I suppose that a TitanTV error could be responsible. But other recordings which were scheduled weeks or months ago also failed.

Specifically, here's what happened to my Fox recordings last night:

* Futurama - recorded. I haven't tried to play it back, but it looks like it’s about the right size.

* Malcom in the Middle - not recorded

* X-Files - not recorded

The X-Files was scheduled via TitanTV last week. Futurama and Malcom where also scheduled via TitanTV, but that was weeks or months ago and both have been working.

Quote:
Originally posted by mkanet
Im not too sure if this is related, but I have had a blank recording with the analog channel # being displayed on the Hipix. This happened when I unknownly scheduled a recording from TitanTV's analog TV listings.
I’m pretty sure that I didn’t use the analog TitanTV page. Is there a way to confirm which channel was used for the recording?

Also, after I cleared the error dialog (but before I restarted the HiPix app), I tried to go into full screen mode to look at Fox (which was the currently selected ATSC channel). All I got was a blank screen. But when I quit and restarted the HiPix app, the signal was fine and I was able to see Scully poking around. And the recording started up again at this point.

That would lend credence to the theory that there may really have been some sort of intermittent signal problem that the HiPix couldn’t recover from. Of course it could be that the HiPix was not displaying the recording channel correctly. I’ve seen that as a bug previously.

Any more ideas on how to diagnose the problem?

Best regards,

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
In spite of the "automation error" I still get when trying to start the Hipix from the system tray I can usually do a successful recording from TitatTV. For some reason the scheduler can start the Hipix, but only by a timer.

But last night when it was recording and had about a half hour to go I got on the computer and started web browsing. I think that screwed up something as my last twenty minutes or so was blank.

So, somebody tell me. How did it end? If someone happened to PM me with a link to even a low def copy I would not be offended. ;)

- Tom

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Well I've found the cause of my problem recording X-Files last night.

It was OPERATOR ERROR! HiPix remaps my Fox station from the assigned digital channel to the analog number. Don't know why because CBS uses the digital number instead of the analog on HiPix.

Anyway I used TitanTV to setup the recording about two minutes before it started and did not notice that the two Fox listings are 51(54.1) and 51(54.2) with 51 being the digital assigned number and 54 the analog. Currently Fox is broadcasting on 51.2 and I selected the first listing which is the empty 51.1 (54.1) so HiPix changed to digital channel 54.1 and recorded two hours of blank screen.

I just checked recording from Fox with TitanTV using 51(54.2) listing and it record perfectly.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Cliff, if you got the digital bitstream, still you can go in and edit the .pid and .ch file to have it display the proper pid, and you'll be able to watch x-files. The stuff in the pid file is in hexadecimal if I recall. A while back I posted on how to edit it, I'll see if I can find it on the forum (as I deleted it from my brain... ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.