AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did find a thread where some of you mentioned success using the SPDIF out of the HiPix card to feed into the SPDIF In on an SB Live! 5.1 card using the Hoontech adapter (to get the Digital In ports). I've ordered the one listed at: http://www.hoontech.com/english/prod...bdb3/info.html

But just to confirm... those of you doing this *are* able to get DD 5.1 out of the HiPix and pass it through the SB Live card (maintaining the DD 5.1 signal)?

-MM

·
Registered
69 Posts
I tried doing this on my SB Live!, using the digital I/O card it came with. It wasn't able to decode the AC3, and I heard nothing. Interestingly, when I tried recording from SPDIF-In, I was able to see the AC3 compression packets.

I don't have an SB Live! 5.1, so I can't say whether it would work on one of those.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If I recall correctly, I think that people have it setup to go into the SB card and then back out, so only pass through. I don't think I've read anywhere that people are actually decoding with theit SB 5.1 cards. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, I'm just looking for pass through anyway. I let my receiver do the decoding. I was asking because some people seemed to have trouble keeping the 5.1 signal in pass through, it was getting converted to two channel PCM.

-MM

·
Registered
599 Posts
qubit,

Now I'm interested in what you were doing to be able to record the AC-3 stream! What recording package were you using? I realize the card couldn't decode/play it, but I wonder if the stream can still be captured intact???

-Jon

·
Registered
69 Posts
Jon,

I thought it was very interesting too, but unfortunately not useful. The SB Live! filters digital input, so what I recorded was not a bitwise copy of the signal. Even if it were, I'm not sure it would work, because a 48 KHz 16-bit stereo recording (which I did) might not be enough to capture all the bits in the SPDIF signal (which I think is 24-bit for PCM).

·
Registered
73 Posts
I purchased the same Hoontech III as your link and I was not able to passthrough my AccessDTV AC3 out to the SBIII add-on.

I believe that I was told that the Digital I/O add-on from Creative Labs is the ticket, since it comes with software to enable the passthrough. I only use this SBIII as coaxial out, which I never really needed since I had the small jack to coaxial cable and it worked fine.

I wonder if the software that comes with the Digital I/O addon works with the Hoontech. I think that SB LiveDrive also comes with the SPDIF in ports as well so that might also have some special software as well. I don't see why it would not work with the standard software. I'm running Win98SE.

John

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting.

Well I've place my order and I'm running WinXP so we'll see if that makes a difference.

-MM

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope, doesn't work... I just got the Hoontech yesterday, installed it and put my HiPix SPDIF Out into the Hoontech SPDIF In and nothing. So I went to Creative Labs website and downloaded the newly released WinXP drivers for the SB Live! 5.1 and installed them and still nothing.

Interestingly though, there is a spectral analyzer in the new SB Live! drivers and when I set my source input to SPDIF and load the HiPix software then I see the spectral analyzer come alive. So apparently the SPDIF data is getting into the SB Live! card but its not being passed through.

Any ideas?

-MM

·
Registered
307 Posts
Quote:
I believe that I was told that the Digital I/O add-on from Creative Labs is the ticket
I have that add on and it does pass spdif info from either my dvd player (coxal or optical) or my dish (coxal) to the denon optical input but if I want to send it through the mixer in pc I have to make sure the source is pcm..

The price of the Hoontech III is a lot less though...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So... does anyone have the HiPixb SPDIF output running into *any* soundcard? I'm trying to avoid buying one of those SPDIF autoswitchers.

-MM

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Could this be the problem? (from Hoontech Support Forum )

"make sure that the sampler outputs a 48khz signal. The SoundsBlasted Live! only accepts input at that rate. This is independant of the DBIII - it is an SB limitation."

Does anyone know the details about the HiPix SPDIF output? Is it 48khz?

-MM

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, more info on this:

I just noticed that if I tell the HiPix software to decode the audio then the SB Live! 5.1 and Hoontech do pass through the audio. The only problem with this is that its no longer Dolby Digital, its ProLogic.

Still looking for a way to get the DD passed through.

Is it possible that the SB Live! card only supports PCM digital input? If that's the case then I guess getting DD to pass-through is impossible?

For those of you doing pass-through on the AccessDTV card, are you able to pass-through Dolby Digital or just PCM/ProLogic?

-MM

·
Registered
982 Posts
Mike,

You got me curious and I tried what you suggested - looping the HiPix digital out, into my SB Live via my Hoontech adaptor. I had the same result. I am able to pass PCM, by enabling "decode audio" in HiPix, but I am not able to pass a DD datastream through. I suspect the Live card can't pass DD datastreams through the digital inputs (the SB Live 5.1 might be different). OTOH, it is interesting that it can pass DD and DTS decoded from a DVD, ala WinDVD or PowerDVD.

Chris

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually, I'm running the SB Live! 5.1 card. Maybe I'll call SB tech support today and see if they have any suggestions. You would think that a simple pass-through would be easier than the DVD-based DD/DTS as you mention.

-MM

·
Registered
569 Posts
Good luck in getting the DD to pass through. Seems like it should be the default setting!

Question please- if I have two coaxial inputs on my receiver, this is not an issue, right? I'm looking at both the HiPix and AccessDTV cards currently. I've asked this on another forum (so forgive the redundancy), but is anyone using their HDTV card with a plasma panel? How does the HDTV look? How about the analog TV? And finally, is the Analog TV presented in widescreen natively? Thanks much. PlasMAN

·
Registered
982 Posts
Quote:
if I have two coaxial inputs on my receiver, this is not an issue, right?
Correct. I have plenty of digital inputs on my pre-amp, which is why I never bothered checking this out in the past.

Chris

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I'm going to try and return my Hoontech today. After nearly a month of trying, I just can't get it to support DD 5.1 passthrough from the SP/DIF in to the SP/DIF out. Even though the SB software recognizes the ports and states in the help docs:
  • "To use an external decoder for Dolby Digital (AC-3) decoding, disable the Dolby Digital (AC-3) Decode feature (as in Step 4) and select the Digital Output Only check box (as in Step 5). The compressed AC-3 SPDIF signal will be passed through the Analog/Digital Out jack of your audio card to the external decoder."

Still, no go. Plus tech support on the Hoontech is non-existant! I posted this issue on thier "support forum" back when I first got the card and never had a single reply! They should change their support forum to AVSForum! I've certainly gotten much more help here! Thanks everyone! (And thanks Michael for your patience!).

-MM

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.