AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am eagerly awaiting for May 10th to come around. I have had my order in for a hipix for some time now but it continues to be back-ordered. I am hoping this May 10th is a real date.

Anyway, one of the things which concerns me is using this loopback cable because I do not own a quality switchbox for VGA sources. Does it degrade the signal at all? I am hoping the results of this poll will tell me whether or not I should use this feature because A/Bing between the two will be difficult and I want to ENSURE I am sending a quality signal to my projector regardless of whether I want to play dvd's/dscaler or use hdtv.

Please oh please let May 10th be for real...the suspense is killing me to actually see hdtv :)

·
Registered
891 Posts
The loopback introduced noticable noise to my desktop on my 19" crt monitor. I don't think I ever checked whether it was noticable on my projector.

Of course, my projector has two computer inputs, so the HiPix just gets Computer 2 and I don't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I don't currently use the loopback cable becuase I can't justify buying a VGA transcoder when I have a perfectly good 15" monitor connected to the VGA out of my HTPC. Yeah, it sits on the floor and doesn't go well with the decor, but then again, I'm single and can't see the monitor with the lights out anyway.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
The loopback cable didn't cause a problem for me when I used it, on either a 19" computer monitor or a 61" RPTV. I no longer use it because I want to have HDTV on the big screen while also doing desktop computing. With a separate video capture board fed by the HiPix, I can also see (non-HD) video on the desktop if needed.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Every once in a while I have to wiggle the connectors on the loop back cable when I start seeing a ghost on my computer display. Not often enough to be a problem yet.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
DAP,

Go to www.caig.com and order their Mini Spray Sampler Kit. Spray the terminals of your cables with the the Pro-Gold solution. This stuff is truely magic... I spritz the CPU socket, PCI, and Memory slots, with Pro-Gold, before inserting the cards and chips.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I use the loopback cable, but not the way it was intended. :)

I use it to switch between the Hipix and my RCA DTC-100 HDTV set-top box. No signal degredation with HDTV from the DTC-100 (which has low bandwidth requirements).

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
My TV (RCA 36100) has two high def vga inputs - one for the HDTV and one for the computer monitor mode of the TV. The component inputs are not HD. Somewhat of a pain as the TV must be switched between inputs and there isn't a direct IR code - just cycle between VGA1, VGA2, S-video, TV, Component, and Front, sequentially.

But no need for loopback.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
After getting ghosting using the loop back cable I got a doubler (2 vga in 2 out) and a switch.

This works fine.

joel

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jmschnur
After getting ghosting using the loop back cable I got a doubler (2 vga in 2 out) and a switch.

This works fine.

joel
What doubler are you using?

I find the loopback to be the only downside to using the HiPix, it ruins DVD watching for me...

:(

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes, I use the loopback cable. I don't have a monitor on my HTPC. It's located in the basement and required a 50' cable run to the family room, and a 50' link back for my Xantech IR repeater which I use to control it, my airboard, and my home automation system (HomeSeer). Everything works well and you wouldn't know the equipment was in the basement unless you asked me to point it out.

FWIW, I have a couple of shelves in the basement which are next to my electrical panel. The HTPC is 10.5" from the edge of the electrical panel (I just measured it). There is an electrical conduit (this corner is unfinished basement) that runs along that section of the wall and out to the A/C unit outside. Due to placement of the conduit, the outputs of the HiPix actually stradle it with the audio outputs below it and the video outputs above it. The PQ is equivalent to my HD STB (Zenith DTV1080) IMHO. I don't see any interference to the VGA output from the Windows Desktop, but I don't really use my desktop or Airboard any longer as I can control HiPix and the mouse from my remote control. Currently I'm just running at 640 x480p.

I run avcable.com VGA, digital audio, and analog audio cables to the family room. VGA goes into Audio Authority transcoder, then bettercables.com component cables into my AV receiver which does the switching for everything. All other cables are also bettercables.com. Went with avcable for 50' runs due to enormous cost savings. Didn't expect HTPC PQ to be that good in the first place.... I was wrong (first experience with HiPix). It's fabulous, and I couldn't be happier (unless it could simultaneously record one channel and play another like TiVo). I might get a second one just for playback at some point!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.