AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there using this card? I looks very impressive. I would imagine this in a HTPC taking all of the signals switched by my Denon 5800 and upconverting them to 1080i. Has anyone used it?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Sean,

I've had the Hipix since it first came out. I've always been impressed with it, though the software been continually updated and has converted a lot of people from the Access card to Hipix.

It is a solid performer and you really can't go wrong for the price/performance. You will love being able to record, pause and playback HDTV. And as I mentioned, with the software continually under development with new features, it gets better every couple of months.

Brian

P.S. Search with specific questions - there is a ton of info out there.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
I was one of the people who switched from accessDTV to Hipix. I am VERY happy with the flexibilty and stability of Hipix. I had hardware instability issues with the accessDTV card on my Intel based HTPC.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How good is the upscaling of this card? There seems to be some conflicting feedback on this one. I plan on buying a G15 or a Hitachi 5500 (depending on reviews) This would seem to be a good fit for upconverted video signals. Any input?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok,

Seems there are a few people ouot there using this card. Now... could I persuade any of you to share a little about the other video cards you have picked to put in the system with it and what projectors your using. I am in BUY mode and need to hear some good ideas before I spend my MONEY!!!! Thanks!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Sean, press the search button at the top of the page. There are two items you need to find:

1 - "Best in class"

2 - "FAQ"

These will get you started and then folks here can answer specific questions for you when they come up.

Aslan...

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by seanbrwn427
Ok,

Seems there are a few people ouot there using this card. Now... could I persuade any of you to share a little about the other video cards you have picked to put in the system with it and what projectors your using. I am in BUY mode and need to hear some good ideas before I spend my MONEY!!!! Thanks!
Sean,

I too was an AccessDTV user and switched to the Hipix.

I did not have any stability problems (well recording SHOHD ocasionally rendered no audio) like mkanet had but Itech has shown little support for this product.

If you want a quasi HD PVR with overzealous copy protection then go with ADTV.

If you want an HD VCR like capability and the ability to archive to tape and stream back in real time when you want, then go with the Hipix.

You are in buy mode huh:)

Whichever card you get, buy a DISH 5000+HD modulator so you can record SHOHD and HBOHD. Run you around $1500.

It may be useless in 2 years due to the merger but you can build up a good libarary of HD recordings on Tape in the meantime.

ADTV will require you to wait for the entire restore to be complete before you can watch but the Hipix only needs about 1 or 2 minutes.

Joe

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok,

I have a Sony HD100 HDTV Direct TV reviever. Is this equivalent to the 5000 unit you mentioned? What I am really interested in is the ability to scale the input signals from the various sources to an optimal setting for my front projector. A "faroudja" like capability but outputing an HDTV signal. This seems feasable but there is not that much functional information out there. I like being able to record some of the HD stuff but mostly I like the scaling concept.

BTW I have read all the FAQs and the Best of Breed stuff. Thank you for the direction.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by seanbrwn427
Ok,

I have a Sony HD100 HDTV Direct TV reviever. Is this equivalent to the 5000 unit you mentioned?

-----> No, VERY different animal.

-What I am really interested in is the ability to scale the input signals from the various sources to an optimal setting for my front projector.

----> I use a RPTV HDTV so I can not help you there but here are the scaling choices in the Hipix:

Joe

·
Registered
884 Posts
Sean

I also have the HiPix DTV200. This card shines with HDTV. The scaling abilities depend on the quality of the input . I have had good results with a digital cable box using S-Video out to S-Video in on the HiPix.

I have tried using VHS composite out to HiPix with less than good results. The old adage of garbage in garbage out holds true here.

I really like recording HDTV and time shifting. Well I hope this helps . I have never thought twice about the $400 that I spent on my HiPix. And this is coming from a guy with a limited budget. ;) John

P.S. Since you already have the HDTV capability and recording is not your main goal you should try Dscaler software and a good input card. I have read that this software and the right setup will give Faroudja a run for your money.

From what I have seen here in the way of screen shots it seems to have the edge over the HiPix in upconverting Standard definition broadcast.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I got the impression that you can't route your DD 5.1 output to your soundcard with the HiPix. Is this true?

Also, which card, (HiPix vs. AccessDTV) has the better PQ? Given the same source of course.

Geese I really wish there was a cheap generic reciever card that could use the Radeon 8500 or Geforce 3 for HDTV and scaling.

TIA

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JB72
I got the impression that you can't route your DD 5.1 output to your soundcard with the HiPix. Is this true?

Also, which card, (HiPix vs. AccessDTV) has the better PQ? Given the same source of course.

Geese I really wish there was a cheap generic reciever card that could use the Radeon 8500 or Geforce 3 for HDTV and scaling.

TIA
You can route your DD 5.1 output to your soundcard's digital input on both accessDTV and Hipix. The only thing you have to do is have a sound card that will support this. The way I do it is by hooking up my Hipix's coax S/PDIF out to my SB Live's Digital I/O card's digital in.

Currently, the Hipix has better PQ and overall brighter and more vivid picture than the accessDTV. This is because acccessDTV does not have the correct peak voltage in it's video output; it is too low. If you try to compensate for this by bringing the contrast level up on the accessDTV, you will get a very undesirable effect in the white colors.

If your recordings are important to you; you most definitely will be happier with the Hipix card. If you have an accessDTV card, you wont be able to play your recordings in next generation "software" HDTV applications using a Geforce 2 Ultra or greater and ATI Radeon 2's.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Quote:
You can route your DD 5.1 output to your soundcard's digital input on both accessDTV and Hipix. The only thing you have to do is have a sound card that will support this.
Yes, that is the rub. When you're talking SB Live there are versions of that card and combinations of daughter cards that won't work.

Chris

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thanks for all the info.

I've been told by AccessDTV that their card allows you to set the output to the soundcard internally via a setup option. We were talking about their XP software though so maybe he was referring to something that's not there yet.

So it sounds like HiPix has the better PQ though. That's prolly most important to me. PVR isn't a personal priority, although recording HDTV might change that I suppose :).

OT: Anyone know if the Simpsons is broadcast in HDTV? That would be worth recording for sure.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
accessDTV is planning on fixing their boards to correct their display problem. Eventually, it will have equivalent PQ as the Hipix.

There is a really neat trick Hipix users can do to get even even better PVR functionality than even the accessDTV card. However, you need a secondary Hipix card and computer. I see a lot of people buying a cheap and used Hipix card to use as a secondary card.

The Simpsons are not in HDTV yet on FOX. However, it does look and sound great. I find myself recording really funny scenes from the Simpsons and saving them in my "Simpsons classics". I love the ability to accurately save specific scenes. I guess you would say you have built in HDTV file editing with the Hipix. You will never be able to do that with an accessDTV card.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mkanet
I see a lot of people buying a cheap and used Hipix card to use as a secondary card.
Michael,

Where are you seeing this?

I am trying to find a second Hipix and don't feel like spending another $399 for a new one for what I am trying to do.

I look every couple of days on Ebay to see if a Hipix is for sale and yet to see one.

Also no luck in the avsforum classified's.

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Joe, ebay and the avs classifieds are the best places to look. I have been looking myself lately with no luck. I am guessing people who have Hipix cards are content with them and dont want to sell them.

There is no problem finding used accessDTV cards though. If you see any good deals for these cards, please let me know.

I want to get a second Hipix card to be able to do timeshifting, record and playback at the same time, or record two shows at the same time.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
In defense of ADTV:

Quote:
Currently, the Hipix has better PQ and overall brighter and more vivid picture than the accessDTV.
There is a easy mod (one resister) to correct this issue.

Quote:
You will never be able to do that with an accessDTV card.
Not true.

Dave

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.