AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought and setup a SONY HS10 LCD projector in my home system with my HTPC. The picture looks wonderful from every source except for my HiPix.

I can see glaringly obvious vertical bands. This is whether I am looking at Pre-Recorded HD material or when I am tuned to a true HD broadcast.

My first thought was the Long Cable to the HS10. Except my VGA output from my Matrox G400 is looped through the Hipix and it looks just fine. The problem show up only when I do a full screen switch to the HiPix.

Another kicker is I normally used this setup with my RPTV and have never seen the bands with it. (I have a Pioneer SD 532HD5 with an RGB input).

I have both the Analog RGB cable and a YPbPr transcoder and the bands show up through either input into the HS10.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
506 Posts
hdtv_moron,

I don't have a projector so I'm not familiar with that aspect. With that said, try the basics to eliminate any wrong settings before getting carried away.

Make sure you're using the right output setting. There are two choices, VGA and Component. Also, make sure you're sending out the right resolution, 1080i, 720p etc..

Good Luck,

Rick

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I probably could have described the effect better. The bands looks almost like ghosting but are not ghosts. They do not change with picture content and are evenly spaced from each other across the entire screen. I can see the picture fine and there is no sync problem. It is just these bands that appear overlaid on top of the HiPix content.

The HS10 can handle any of the output settings of the HiPix (720p, 480p, 1080i, any vga mode, etc). I am using the Hipix in RGB mode at 1080i so I can use the loop through of the HiPix and run it into my HDTV which can only handle 1080i (My video card is set to a 540p mode - same timings as 1080i). It doesn't make sense to use the YpbPr output of the Hipix with the loop through cable.

Maybe the long cable run length is not a problem for the Matrox but loads down the HiPix output drivers. Does the HiPix drive the VGA loop through it's output drivers too? Any electronics expert know how the HiPix output drivers are configured? Maybe the loop switch is passive?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I can't tell you anything about the HiPix drivers besides to make sure you have the latest version. They were up to 3.52 when the development effort seemed to end. My 10HT did not like an earlier version of them at 1080i unless I used component with the sync cables physically disconnected. I think they had the frame rate at 60 Hz instead of 59.94 Hz or something like that.

I'd also consider going through the routine to check for and exorcize ground loops. No hints there just trial and error though you might isolate the TV cable first.

Other then that you might check for bad cables or connectors swapped etc.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Adjust the "dot clock" on your projector. My DLP projector had similar vertcal lines with my HiPix but I was able to "dial them out" by making adjustments on the projector end.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Les Auber
I can't tell you anything about the HiPix drivers besides to make sure you have the latest version. They were up to 3.52 when the development effort seemed to end. My 10HT did not like an earlier version of them at 1080i unless I used component with the sync cables physically disconnected. I think they had the frame rate at 60 Hz instead of 59.94 Hz or something like that.

I'd also consider going through the routine to check for and exorcize ground loops. No hints there just trial and error though you might isolate the TV cable first.

Other then that you might check for bad cables or connectors swapped etc.
Well I was talking about the cable line drivers not the SW drivers. But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

As for ground loops, why would a ground loop mess with the signal for the Hipix and not the VGA output when I am using the exact same cable? Even though it doesn't make sense It is probably worth looking into.

Thanks.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Timpanogos
Adjust the "dot clock" on your projector. My DLP projector had similar vertcal lines with my HiPix but I was able to "dial them out" by making adjustments on the projector end.
OK I understand what you are saying. I am just not sure how to do that on my HS10.

The HS10 does allow one to "stretch" or "contract" as well as shift left and right the horizontal dimension of the incoming picture. It seems to me that the "stretching" and "contraction" would require adjusting the dot clock inside the projector.

This sounds like a pretty good idea and I'll try it. It is just that the banding is so pronounced I can only wonder why other 1080i sources doesn't do the same thing (i.e. my RCA DTC100).

I use a manual 15 pin VGA switch box to switch between my DTC-100 and the Hipix/PC feed from the HiPix output. I have never seen this with the DTC-100.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Timpanogos
Yep! That fixed it. Thanks for your advice. I am not happy about it because I had to increase overscan to "dial" the lines out but it did the trick.

Must be a defect in the Hipix because I had no such problem with any other source, including the looped through VGA. Anyway it is a fix and I really appreciate your input.

Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.