Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer:

The following is for those brave souls who are using HiPix 3.0final code *and* are running Windows 2K or XP *and* are comfortable with using their HiPix *and* want to test out Hibernation support.

I have posted a test version of the HiPix app and associated .dll for those who are interested to test and give feedback. It is based on the 3.0final code and you *must* have 3.0final installed or it will *not* work correctly. You will be renaming and replacing two files on your system so this change is easy to back out. If you're ready, read on:

1) Download the .zip file from www.geocities.com/jon_rhees/HiPix you will find a zip file named HiPixHibernateTest.zip.

2) Unzip the two files into a folder.

3) Close the HiPix app if you are cureently running it.

4) Do a disk-wide search of your hard drive for the file 'mqtvcom.dll' (You should only find one, but if you do find more, you can just rename them all) Rename any you find to something like mqtvcom.dll.30

5) Find your 3.0final HiPix app, named 'HiPix DTV-200.exe', and rename it to something like 'HiPix DTV200.exe.30'. Note, it is important that you rename the 3.0final version of this file since the HiPix meerkat scheduler looks for a file called 'HiPix DTV-200.exe' and we want it to find the *new* one.

6) Copy the mqtvcom.dll from the .zip file and the 'HiPix DTV-200.exe' from the zip file into the same folders where your renamed versions are. Remember that if you have mqtvcom.dll in more than one spot, you'll need to replace them *all*

7) Run the new HiPix app.

8) Go to Setup->Recording tab. Don't worry about how the tab's layout looks -- there's more to be added here. You will see the following new setup options:

"After Scheduled Recordings:----------"

Do Nothing

Exit HiPix app

Suspend Computer

Hibernate (Win2K & XP)

Select the desired option for what you want to happen after a scheduled recording (with no user interaction) has finished. Note that you can always manually hibernate your computer to test Hibernate functionality)

You will also see a checkbox as follows:

[ ] Shutdown after last recording

Checking this box will cause the HiPix to completely shut down your computer (not Hibernate) if there are no more recordings left on your record schedule.

9) Hit Apply or OK

Note that if the "Hibernate" option is greyed out, it means you haven't turned on Hibernate support in Windows. To do so, go to the Power Options in Windows Control Panel.

Also note that you'll want to turn off the 'Enter Password when Resuming' option in the Power Options control panel.

Please give me feedback in this thread. I'll monitor and reply as necessary.

-Jon

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I'll give it a try tonight.

Is there a reason one must turn off "enter password when resuming" will the hipix software not start if the "enter password" page is up or a password protected screen blanker is running?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DAP,

I don't know. I just assumed that no apps ran until the logon screen was dismissed. Why don't you experiment and let us know!

-Jon

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Jon - will this definitely not work under Win98se to test the suspend option? If it would possibly work, I'd test that for you.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I played with it a bit last night.

I powered up my computer, ran hipix, closed hipix, hibernated my computer (win 2K) woke the computer, ran hipix.... it didn't crash! This is the first time I have been able to do that. I was so surprized I exited hipix, hibernated the computer again, woke the computer again and ran hipix again... Again it did not crash! Yahoo!!!

Next I scheduled a recording for 5 minutes in 5 minutes, closed hipix and hibernated the computer. 5 minutes later the computer did not wake up. I went away to do something else, came back and the computer was awake, but hipix was not running. I brought up the schedule and deleted the event. I created a new event that would start in 10 minutes and record for 5. closed hipix and hibernated the computer. 30 seconds before the event should start, the computer started. At exactly the time the event should start, hipix started. 30 seconds after the event should start hipix started recording. After that everything worked as it was supposed to. So I programmed it to record 5 minutes of KQEDs demo, and it recorded 4 minutes 30 seconds.

So it appears that the Hipix software will finnaly function the way it was supposed to 9 months after I bought it. (which is better than the ATI AIW that still does not function properly, and I bought that before the hipix).

I have programmed the software to record the shows I usually watch (with some back to back shows on different channels, I'll let you know if there are problems with that once it has attempted to record them) my computer is hibernating now, and now I just wait & see :)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DAP,

Good to hear. I have not made any changes in the scheduler nor the wakeup timer logic, so what you're really testing at this point is the ability for the HiPix to run after a hibernate. It sounds like the scheduler and PC wakeup timer logic could use a bit of tweaking to make the PC come on earlier (maybe account for 2 minutes of boot, etc., time). A little overkill never hurt.

I am not familiar enough with PC motherboard requirements to know if all motherboards support timed wakeup from S4 Power state (hibernate). So for anyone testing this, give it a try like DAP first.

-Jon

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
I'm planning on testing out the suspend option tonight under Win98 for you. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jon_rhees
DAP,

Good to hear. I have not made any changes in the scheduler nor the wakeup timer logic, so what you're really testing at this point is the ability for the HiPix to run after a hibernate. It sounds like the scheduler and PC wakeup timer logic could use a bit of tweaking to make the PC come on earlier (maybe account for 2 minutes of boot, etc., time). A little overkill never hurt.

I am not familiar enough with PC motherboard requirements to know if all motherboards support timed wakeup from S4 Power state (hibernate). So for anyone testing this, give it a try like DAP first.

-Jon
And, Boy! does that scheduler need work! But hey we went from something that just plain did not work the day before yesterday to something that just has a lousy user interface. I'm happy (for at least a month :) ).

Yah, now that you actually CAN use hiberation you will probably get a bunch of suggestions on how to improve it.

BTW since the crash related to hibernation was similar to the crash related to using the EPG, I tested the EPG too. The EPG is still broken. If I use the EPG & step through each channel trying to get a guide, something in Hipix gets so screwed up the Hipix aplication can not be closed and win 2K can not be shut down (I have to turn the power off to recover).

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
(I'm making the following statement hoping *not* to derail this thread into a support thread)

Taking a look at the EPG is on my todo list. Also on the agenda is adding basic M-F, etc. capability to the scheduler.

-Jon

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
****UPDATE****

I found my first bug (something I broke) in the new code. I have fixed this and posted a new HiPixHibernateTest_v2.zip file at the site www.geocities.com/jon_rhees/HiPix

Please use the new updated code (for those that have already downloaded the prior version, the only file that changed in the .zip is the mqtvcom.dll file).

So you know what I had broken and should now be fixed:

-Switching between ATSC/FILE mode and any of the analog modes (COMPOSITE/S-VIDEO/NTSC) no longer worked.

This should now work in the new v2 version.

-Jon

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Jon,

I did some testing with the suspend in Win98. Set everything up as detailed above, and set the option to Suspend.

With the app running, the timer fired properly, recorded, and stopped. App was still running, and the computer didn't suspend.

With the app not running, the app loaded 30 seconds before the timer, the timer fired, recorded and then stopped. The app didn't exit, and the computer didn't suspend.

With the computer suspended: timer set, and then computer suspended, computer woke up 30 seconds before timer, then the following blue screen error:

OE occurred at 0028:C00528C2 in VxD - called from 0028:C003A7F in VxD

With the computer suspended: timer set, computer reboot, then computer suspended, computer woke up 30 seconds before the timer, and the same error message.

I didn't really expect this to work, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. :) Glad some of the hibernate stuff is working, though! It may make me think about loading 2000 or XP.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Markdl,

Thanks for testing. I will do a bit of testing in Win98 and see how things go. I'm not sure if the HiPix could ever come out of suspend in 98?? Does anyone know?

-Jon

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Jon -

The hipix came out of suspend some of the time with the first AVS beta (I never used the 2.31 software) if I rebooted the computer after setting up the timer before putting the computer into suspend.

That's ok, though. I know this was meant to be tested in 2000/XP, but I thought I'd try 98 just to see what would happen.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I'm not sure I can blame this one on Hipix:

Shortly after my computer was supposed to wake up and record a rerun of CSI I walked in and found it had hung when waking from hibernation. I shut down the computer, turned it on again, and after telling it to try again rather than cold boot, it woke properly and started recording. I guess now that Hipix is working, being able to use hibernation is exposing other problems with my system.

One bug at a time I guess...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Installation was no problem.

I hibernated the PC after programming it to record 1/2 hour later. It woke up OK, but two minutes later than the programmed start time (as indicated on MS' digital clock). It stopped recording and hibernated again just fine, except 5 minutes early. So out of the 15 minutes it was supposed to record, there were only 8 1-minute ts files. This is not a big deal, because if they are simple offsets, I'll just schedule the start and stop times accordingly.

The basic functionality is there. ( Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.) Synchronization with the system (and displayed) clock needs some work.

I've set up a week's worth of programs, so I'll see how reliable it is on my XP system. (ASUS TUSL2)

One change I noticed, and this is a "don't care" for me, is that when the Meerkat icon in the tray is right-clicked and "show record list" is selected, the HiPix app starts up. It didn't used to do that.

Thanks Jon. I'm really curious to know what you did to make hibernation work, although I'll understand if you don't want to make your handywork public.

akula

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Akula,

I'm not sure why Meerkat is acting different (actually I don't know much about the app), because it is a separate app and I didn't make any changes there. As far as how I made it work, I took advantage of some features in 2K/XP that allow drivers to be terminated/started at runtime. It seems to work well.

-Jon

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi Jon,

I spent some time this weekend testing the hibernate feature. Unfortunately I was less than successful. Here’s an executive summary (the details, if you are interested, follow below):

* After installing the updated, hibernate compatible software, my HiPix application hung WinXP and damaged the HiPix software installation. I had to go through a rather lengthy trial and error removal and reinstall to get back to a working state.

* Once I recovered from the initial problems, I found that the updated HiPix is hibernate compatible. I can reliably restore from hibernate and launch HiPix.

* After several attempts, I cannot get the machine to wake from hibernation to record. Maybe there is some sort of BIOS or WinXP setting that I’m missing. I have a Soyo Dragon + with an Athlon XP 1800+.

Here are the details of the installation problem and recovery:

1. Followed the installation instructions for the updated .exe and .dll.

2. Rebooted.

3. Ran the HiPix application and set the “Hibernate†setting in the record panel.

4. Specified a new show via TitanTV.

5. Quit HiPix

6. Manually hibernated the machine.

7. Went to work. I couldn’t be back in time to watch the recording attempt.

8. Checked later and the machine was not running.

9. Restored the machine from hibernate.

10. Checked the record directory and saw that the show was not recorded.

11. Launched the HiPix app.

12. The machine hung with the HiPix app trying to start up. Checked the Task Manager and saw that the HiPix was taking 100% of the CPU.

13. Tried killing the HiPix task and restarting Windows, but the machine was so unresponsive, I ultimately did a force reboot.

14. Ran the HiPix after rebooting and got an error stating “Could not initialize HiPix Filter Graphâ€.

15. Removed the Jon’s updated .exe and .dll

16. Ran the 3.0 installer. Got an error indicating that I have to quit the HiPix application first. Of course, the HiPix app was not running because of the filter error.

17. Rebooted

18. Reinstalled using the 3.0 installer successfully

19. Ran the HiPix application and got the same filter error again.

20. Ran the HiPix Cleaner and rebooted.

21. Reinstalled using the 3.0 installer

22. Ran the HiPix application and got the same filter error again.

23. Updated the HiPix driver manually.

24. Restarted

25. Went to the device manager and saw that the HiPix driver was not functioning properly.

26. Went to uninstall HiPix from the “Add/Remove programs†control panel but saw that there was no option to remove HiPix.

27. Ran the HiPix cleaner again.

28. Quit the Merecat application.

29. Manually deleted the HiPix folder from the Program Files directory.

30. Ran regedit looking for Telemann entries.

31. Deleted registry entries associated with Telemann hardware.

32. Removed the HiPix hardware from the device manager.

33. Rebooted.

34. When the HiPix hardware was discovered, I pointed Windows at the latest 3.0 driver.

35. Windows suggested that I reboot to use the hardware, so I did.

36. Ran the 3.0 installer again.

37. Ran the HiPix application. This time it ran without the filter error.

38. Reset my HiPix settings, which were zapped by the cleaner.

39. Did an XP system restore checkpoint so that I could more easily recover from any new testing problems.

Here are the details of the testing I did once I recovered from the installation problems:

1. Followed Jon’s installation instructions again for the updated .exe and .dll.

2. Rebooted.

3. Launched the updated HiPix application. It ran without problems.

4. Configured the Hibernate option in the Recording panel.

5. At 10PM I set a new recording event via TitanTV for a show that would start at 10:30.

6. Quit the Hipix application.

7. Manually hibernated the computer.

8. Watched the computer while hanging out with my family. 10:30 came and when and the machine did not wake from hibernation.

9. Started the machine manually. The HiPix application ran automatically and started recording.

10. I stopped the recording and deleted the recording events.

11. Used TitanTV to specify a late night recording.

12. Left the HiPix application running, then manually hibernated the machine. The theory was that I might have better luck if the HiPix was running when I hibernate.

13. The next morning I restored the machine from hibernate and found that the recording had not happened.

14. Based on a new theory that the HiPix would not wake the machine from hibernate unless it successfully recorded and performed the hibernation, I set up two recording events via TitanTV. The first one was a 30-minute show starting at 9 AM and the second was a 30 minute show starting at 10AM.

15. I left the machine running and it recorded the 9AM show and hibernated the machine automatically.

16. The machine did not wake up to record the 10 AM show.

So is there something I’m missing here? Maybe my set up cannot wake from hibernate. Is there a way that I can isolate the problem, perhaps by manually scheduling a wake up event unrelated to the HiPix? I’ve never tried to configure my machine to do this so any pointers would be helpful.

Sorry that I could not report better news.

Best regards,

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.