AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the IR receiver that comes with the HiPix capable of recieving any IR signal? Mine seems only to be able to recieve the 5 or so buttons from the HiPix Remote, no other IR commands seem to be interpreted. I'm using Girder and want to use that IR recieve for other things but Girder won't learn/see any signals but the HiPix remote buttons??

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any way to get around this to use the HiPix reciever for other things?

I have a programmable remote, but I'm limited by the number of buttons on the HiPix remote.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Bumping this one. Would be nice if I didn't have to buy a new IR receiver... I am interested if anyone has drivers that could make it possible to use this for more general stuff....

·
Registered
213 Posts
The HiPix remote uses an NEC1 protocol (device 8), which doesn't match any of the protocols of the devices that my Universal remotes support.

The limitation with the HiPix IR target isn't a driver issue. The Target has a uProcessor that decodes the IR pulses and translates them into a character stream that goes to your PC's serial port. That uProcessor won't translate other protocols besides the NEC1 that the HiPix remote uses.

If you really want to use the HiPix IR target, you could get a JP1 compatable remote (Radio Shack 150-2104) and add the NEC1 protocol to it (I've done this). By the time you build the parallel port to JP1 cable and buy the remote, it would probably be cheaper and easier to buy an IRMan and use your current Universal Remote. I did the JP1 hack for the HiPix IR Target because I was already using a JP1 remote to control my two TiVo's (didn't used to be able to buy a single remote the could control more than one TiVo). Plus it was fun. :)

http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/index.shtml

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I have figured out the HiPix remote protocol, so I am able to 'create' signals that the HiPix receiver responds to (at least 255 are possible, maybe more) using a Pronto remote control. The next step is to use these codes with Girder to control the other HiPix functions (and/or any other programs). Ric (rmears) has been working on the same thing; in fact I got the idea from him.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone know what devices use the NEC1 protocol? I have a Home Theater Master 500 & can just program a button to a device that uses that protocol to accomplish what I need.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Such,

Each protocol can have one or two device codes associated with them. The HiPix Remote uses NEC1, device 8, protocol. I searched Remote Central and the JP1 forum (posted similar question there). I couldn't find any other devices that use that flavor of the NEC1 protocol.

With the software and spreadsheets at the JP1 user group from Yahoo, I "created" a new device code (VCR 620) that uses the NEC1 (device 8) protocol and uploaded it to my remote. It did the trick. I have the full set of buttons on my universal remote to use with the HiPix IR target. I checked it out with Girder.

I'm not familar with your remote. Is it upgradable? Can you reprogram each key by "learning" from another remote?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, the Home Theater Master 500 is a fully programmable remote and it also has the biggest database of existing devices I've seen, so I was just wondering if some device out there used the NEC1 protocol so I could try that first. Problem is I only have this one high end programmable remote, all my others are low end/non-connective/learning types.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.