AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get my HiPix card operating correctly. It seems that when I try to scan the channel guide it only shows a couple of stations with guide program data. I can tune the channels sort of ok - not all show the correct channel number. For example KPIX shows up as channel 29-1 not 5-1 whereas KRON-DT shows up correctly as 4-1. When I click the APG button it says it's scanning and after a few seconds it returns but there is no guide info. A few channels do show up in the guide correctly - KPIX-DT only shows 1 program that lasts for 24 hours. KQED-DT shows up as channel 30-1 which I can understand with their weird PSID but the channel guide is correct. KICU-DT shows up as 36-1 with correct channel guide info. All other stations have no channel guide data. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? BTW, I talked with Digital Connection and they where clueless - "never seen that problem before! We'll have someone get back to you. Not!"

TIA,

Ken Erickson

·
Registered
980 Posts
Everything sounds normal to me. Not every station has PSID implemented and some of the channel mappings don't reflect the NTSC channels. I get the following channels in Campbell -

2-1 KTVU

4-1 KRON

4-2 Used to be Bay-TV, now blank

7-1 KGO Hidef on this sub-carrier

7-2 KGO NTSC

11-1 KNTV

11-2 KNTV (crappy quality)

20-1

20-2

29-1 KPIX

30-1 KQED

36-1

36-2

45-1

Chris

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can view all the channels digital and analog. But the channel guide is missing for a large number of the channels. How you record a program if there is no channel guide?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Set up a time-based recording. Tune to the channel you want, hit the record button and enter the date, start time, and duration of whatever you want to record. A bit primitive (takes me back to my days of timeshifting before the TiVo) but it works fine.

·
Registered
218 Posts
OK, you Bay Area HiPix users in the south bay, do you see any evidence of dynamic multipath from planes taking off and landing at SFO? The airport is not too far from line of sight to Mt. Sutro.

I see the effects of multipath on my analog TV, so I wonder if it causes problems with DTV, especially those without the latest tuner chips.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I don't think so, but I'm close to SJ airport and they don't typically fly over our house unless the weather changes. What are the symptoms?

Chris

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SteveGrimm,

I'll try the timer recording tonight. Like you say, a bit primitive.

If I can get the APG for all the local digital channel on my STB why can't I get them on the HiPix card?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by akula
OK, you Bay Area HiPix users in the south bay, do you see any evidence of dynamic multipath from planes taking off and landing at SFO? The airport is not too far from line of sight to Mt. Sutro.
In a word, yes. I am under the landing pattern for Oakland airport. When a plane passes, the picture will freeze, and the sound cut out. Very annoying, but I will say the problem is just as bad for NTSC.

·
Registered
218 Posts
cpete,

I don't have a HiPix yet, that's why I'm asking.

Here is what I would expect: At the lowest noticeable level there would be flutter (a couple of Hz) on the signal strength, but no visible interference with the picture. At an intermediate level, there would be time dependent blockiness. For the highest level, I would expect something like DAP sees with dropouts or freezes from several seconds to several tens of seconds at a time.

As time goes on, we should see demodulator chips that are much better at rejecting the interference that louses up the picture.

On my analog TV I see a fluttering delayed image superimposed on the primary one for several seconds as the airplanes go through particularly bad zones. I purchased a high gain antenna (CM 4248) to minimize the problem.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
It is not as gracefull as you suggest, it is all or nothing. Either you get good picture and sound, or the picture freezes and the sound cuts out. The transition is rather sharp. (occasionally you get pixelated pictures, but usually the screen just goes black). But the picture does hold togather much better that NTSC. On NTSC, you notice the picture getting affected much sooner and for much longer than the effects on ATSC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.