AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly certain now that the interlacing problem can be fixed through software. With a crude patch to HiPixDTV.sys, I was able to get RGB mode to interlace smoothly, at the cost of completely losing the green channel. What I did was trick it into using YPbPrTriLevelSync instead of RgbTriLevelSync. This didn't cause it to output a component signal, though it did drop the green channel, tinting everything purple.

I think a reasonable conclusion would be that the HiPix can be programmed to ouput an RGB signal that will interlace properly on computer monitors. It would be really nice if Telemann would do this. Without information on programming the Janus chipset, I can't do it myself.

Any thoughts on this? Is my conclusion reasonable?

AccessDTV: Is it supposed to look like this?
1080i interlaced fields too closely spaced on PC monitor
Computer monitors don't interlace properly?
Revisiting the 1080i "scanline" problem

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another small patch, and I've gotten the HiPix to interlace perfectly on my monitor! No problems! Odd and even lines are evenly spaced. It looks beautiful!

I know many people besides me have experienced this problem. Is anyone interested in my patch?

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Sounds great,

hope it works for me too

I will need your patch once I get my hipix installed as I know teh monitor I have is has the problem yours was showing.

btw what monitor do you have?

-tony

·
Registered
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by qubit
I know many people besides me have experienced this problem. Is anyone interested in my patch?
Sure, why don't you post it to http://communities.msn.com/AVSForum/files.msnw

and then give us the URL link to the file.

-MM

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I'm interested in your patch. What version of driver did you patch? 2.31?

I think that the HiPix's interlace sync _is_ correct for HDTVs, but apparently confuses some computer monitors. You might pass along your findings to Telemann. They could add a user interface control without too much trouble.

Why don't you just use 720p instead of 1080i? I have trouble believing that 1080i would look better.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
1080i does look better (to me).

I spent a long time contemplating a switch to

720p over this "computer monitor interlace bug",

but once I found that I could get interlacing

to "pop on" on my Sony W900 (by shrinking the

picture a bit) I could see that 1080i looked

better than 720p.

On some programs it is hard to tell, but on

programs with alot of background detail you

can definately see the extra detail

(at least on my monitor)

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm interested in the patch. Please post it here or send to [email protected] Thanks!

I'm curious to see if it fixes my problem of not being able to display RGB 1920x1080i on my Sony VPL-VW10HT video projector. I currently can only display YPbPr from the Hipxi in 1920x1080i on my Sony. The RGB gives a "Check input" warning and displays nothing as if the sync was wrong.

Are the more technically inclined sure this hack won't damage anything in the Hipix or display electronics?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I've posted my patch here . Unzip the appropriate patch EXE (depending on your OS) to the same directory as HiPixDTV.sys, e.g. C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\Drivers. Make sure you back up the file HiPixDTV.sys, then execute the patch. You will then need to reboot.

For apnar or anybody else who might like to make a similar patch for the AccessDTV, here are the details.
  1. I redirected the driver to use YPbPrTriLevelSync instead of RgbTriLevelSync. This made RGB mode interlace smoothly, but disabled the green channel.
  2. I modified the YPbPrTriLevelSync subroutine to clear bit 2 of TL850 register 101A0h instead of setting the bit; I did this in four places, for each video mode. This re-enabled the green channel.[/list=1]

One side-effect of this patch is that it will almost certainly disable component output mode from working, since I modified YPbPrTriLevelSync. If anybody is interested, I could probably fix it to work in both modes.

Good luck! Please tell me whether or not it works for you. I have a Sony GDM-F500 monitor, but I haven't noticed anyone else on this forum who uses an F500 for HDTV. So hopefully it will work for other monitors, like the W900.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think perhaps I should bump this. While I'm at it, I'll take note of the interesting fact that before I patched the driver, my monitor reported the HiPix's 1080i as having a horizontal refresh rate of 33.7 kHz in RGB mode, and 33.8 kHz in YPbPr mode. Which the patch, of course, RGB mode becomes 33.8 kHz.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Sorry - it actually made my problem

(using a Sony W900) worse. With the

patch applied to HiPixDTV.sys

(and after a reboot) my monitor won't

interlace at all in 1080i mode.

Shrinking the display doesn't make it

"pop back on" like it does with the

default driver.

I can see that the timings are different