AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry that this question is so basic, but I can't find any threads which list the answer to my questions.

Which video cards will allow me to connect it to the HiPix card so that I can view my desktop on my HDTV using only the HiPix's VGA/RGB connector for all HTPC video on my HDTV?

Thanks for your help!

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Boy, how dumb can I be...

I think I just found the answer to my own question. All I need do is connect the included loop back cable from my video card to the HiPix card and whalaa! Instant desktop and HiPix in one.

Sorry for placing this question so quickly without researching it more beforehand!

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
merc,

Does your HDTV have VGA/RGB input?

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Does your HDTV have VGA/RGB input?
Kei: Yes it does. I've been using the HiPix card attached this way for about a month now, but have been running a seperate S-video connection from my old video card to the HDTV for seeing my desktop. It is a real pain switching from the S-video input (to use the HiPix Application) to the VGA/RGB input(to actually see the HDTV I just tuned to in the Hipix App). It would be nice to just keep it on the VGA input and have a desktop overlay or even a window for that matter. I have a Pioneer 64HD5 and will am buying a new video card tomorrow... any suggestions for that?

Is the loop back cable all I need to do this?

Thanks for your help!

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Basically any VGA card can "passthrough" a desktop

signal through the HiPix to your display. The problem

is that many displays will only display 1080i

or 540p type signals - so - (unless your VGA card

comes with one of those modes) you may need to try

the free "Powerstrip" software to set custom VGA modes

that will work on your display.

The general preference around here for VGA cards

is an ATI Radeon series (best for DVD playback) or

NVidia GeForce series (best for 3D games) card.

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PVR: Thanks for the info. BTW, I just bought an ATI Radeon 8500 card, so I hope that works. I'll let you know how it goes....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.