AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like Telemann has been rather quiet lately? Well, they have remained very hard at work over the past few weeks fixing stability bugs in their Driver and Apps, one by one. John Kim, the lead engineer, has come over to my house personally to confirm some stability issues. John has put an updated version of the App on my system, and I am in heaven!! NO lockups. NO ATSC 'blank screens'. NO stuttering.

While I am not sure of the next release of their software, I can tell you that almost all of the stability issues I have been having are resolved with the version currently running on my system. Here are the details:

- After 8 hours of HEAVY use over 3 days, not a single lock up. I repeatedly opened and closed files, moving from tuner to file mode, and in general doing a lot of 'clicking'. In the past, this would have led to numerous lock ups. To not have a single lock up after 8 hours of heavy interactive use shows me they have gotten a good bead on what was causing the lock up issue.

- I also have not had ANY ATSC issues. Before, my system would lock into an ATSC channel, show strong signal strength, but would not show picture or sound. This issue has not occurred even once. No problem.

- One other thing I noticed: the system generates a 'default' file name when doing quick record. This is a GREAT feature!! I can now start recording with only 2 clicks of the mouse: red button to record, then 'apply' to make it start. Was this in the app before? Anyway, it is a GREAT feature. Thanks John!!

John has said that he expects to release a fully updated driver and App package before the next set of HiPix ship. I think the next HiPix production run should be shipping to customers in May, latest I have heard. However, this is NOT inside scoop. Just what I have seen on this board. John said this release should address all the stability issues, and will begin to add new features (keyboard shortcuts, for one). His team will then focus more on adding requested features, one the stability issues are behind them.

Bob

·
Registered
212 Posts
Godd news for you Bob, but mine just doesn't work after 2 complete rebuilds. Tomorrow I start from scratch again. I shouldn't have tried the beta upgrade - mine worked pretty well before.

Mine is Win98SE. I'm wondering if it works better, best, or only on the WIN2000 systems?????

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
That's all good news but for us who do not have one yet, what good does it do when Telemann does not seem to want to build any more of Hipix cards other than may be to fill part of the current back orders?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dan,

John did not say when the next release would occur. He only said that they plan a big 're-launch' when the next production run is ready, and that the software would be ready with stability issues addressed. Given all the work they appear to be doing (rather quietly), I think they will be on track to deliver the BIG production run of cards (several 1000 vs the 120 cards in their first fun) with solid software that is ready for the masses.

Kusamba,

I am also running win98se. I have heard that 2000 is a more stable system, but since the AC3 pass through issues are not yet fully resolved on 2000, I am sticking with 98se.

Yacmyoung,

It is not an issue of what they want. They want to build all they can, but they had run into shortage of a key component (I think it was the RF 'can' or something like that). As I said before, they plan on ramping up production, and hopefully having the software really ready this time!

Bob

·
Registered
58 Posts
The lock ups on my Hipix have been progressively getting more and more frequent. Even more disturbing, is that on reboot, I have been getting errors where the registry has been corrupted, and several times a blue screen of death which says the the system can not write to the C drive, check for errors. After one hang up, my entire Windows directory was toast and I had to do complete new windows install (W98se). I had been running the 2.1 Hipix release with the fatbulldog files.

Yesterday during the first game of the final four, it started to act up again, so I decided to remove all hipix files and do a new install. I went to the Telemann web site and downloaded the files and noticed that they are the 2.2 beta files (was it ever announced that they were available on the web site?). The date on the web site says 1/30/01, but the date on the driver files is 3/24/01.

After a install of these new files (including a reinstall of DX8), I can say that we were able to watch the entire second basketball game with out a glitch.

Tom

·
Registered
485 Posts
Does the new release deal more gracefully with broken EPG data like that of KTVU (the Fox station in the Bay Area, for non-local folks reading this)? I don't like having to ctrl-alt-del my way out of the HiPix app when I accidentally hit the KTVU tab in the EPG dialog box.

I guess I should count my blessings; that problem is the only major one I'm having with the 2.1 software, and it's avoidable if I stay on my toes.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Bob,

Did John give any hint as to whether the upcoming official release will provide for a PAUSE feature during playback of recorded stuff?

As you know from our email's, my Hipix is rock stable with the unofficial Windows 2000 driver which is on fatbulldog.com. However, now that I have been using the Hipix quite a bit now that it works right, I really miss not being able to pause during playback.

BTW, I have not tried nor will I try the beta version on Telemann's website. My system works great after all my troubles so I am not messing with success.

I have been pondering selling my Hipix and getting accessDTV since it allows for PAUSE (and more).

I don't need a lot of fancy PVR features but if Telemann never plans on providing such a simple capability to pause during playback, I sure would like to know.

My Hipix is still a hot,sellable item and I don't want to miss the boat.

Any info you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
My HiPix has been awesome as well. With the dll updates from fatbulldog.com of course http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I leave the HiPix on running for hours (one of the reasons for califorinia's energy crisis http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif ) I dont have any problems with it and its a great card. I have it connected to front projector and one day hope to hook it up to a plasma display. BTW the lastest issue of SGHT has the HiPix on the front cover!! Article is very good as well, good job pat! if anyone is interested in the card or HDTV cards in general, check it out.

[This message has been edited by Vasim Pathan (edited 04-03-2001).]

·
Registered
168 Posts
Steve,

Fox has a problem with their data stream. I sent a sample recording of Fox, here in Philadelphia, to Telemann. They quickly identified the problem with the Fox data stream and sent me software to compensate. I don't care what anyone says, Telemann rules! That was just after 2.1 came out. By now that fix for EPG hang should be history with the new beta SW. Now if only Fox would be a little responsive to my email. The local Philly Fox station has the worlds largest station ID at the lower right of the screen. It is always there and it is over TWENTY LARGE characters! National Fox replied to me that it does NOT need to be there. Local Fox told me to look beyond it. Maybe if more people complained, in a nice way, they will kill it. The networks call it a bug. It does bug me. Send your emails and phone calls to Fox!

Ok, I am off my soapbox now….

FYI, here is the reply from Telemann about the EPG and Fox problem.

"I'm Richard, and I'm developing the HiPixDTV 200 S/W. I appreciate your feedback and your bitstream data. I analyzed your bitstream data, and found out that our driver has some problem in receiving FOX channel. At version 2.1 we checked the program paradigm of ATSC (ATSC standard section 5.3), which specifies the method that shall be used for allocation the values of PID. According to that, the PID value of video shall be 0x11, but the PID value of FOX video is 0x1b. And the PID value of audio is 0x14 and correct. We discard its video PID value, and calculate it from audio PID value. Currently some broadcast company does not adhere to the program paradigm of ATSC, and also do not send the TVCT of ATSC PSIP, which is mandatory. Also some program information specified at PAT and PMT are not identical to those specified at TVCT. I think some broadcast companies have problems in sending the EPG data. I found out our driver has some bugs in decoding RRT (Rating Region Table) of ATSC PSIP. Currently our application decodes it, but does not display rating related information. We also found out version 2.1 driver caused some problems with some of previously released HiPixDTV200 B/D. I fixed it by compensating I2C timing. Attached files are HiPixDTV200 driver and application's DLL file, which we fixed I2C timing problem and some problems of receiving EPG data.

Cya,

-Bill-

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steve,

I have not run into this EPG issue, even though I do view KTVU a lot here in the bay area. In fact, I am rather sure I have used the EPG for KTVU, with no problem. So either I am a corner case, or the software update they have on my system addresses this issue.

Joe,

No pause on the next release, as far as I am aware. I believe they WILL be adding the keyboard shortcuts, however. Also, be better way of automatically assigning file names if you do not want to bother typing them in. Personally, with the lock ups solved, and with Keyboard shortcuts, I am a happy camper. My next priority would not be pause, but rather FF and REW. That is what REALLY is missing. Of course, I am talking about on playback, not live. For live, I am doubtful the HiPix will ever be able to pause, and then return where it left off like the TiVo (or AccessDTV supposedly) does.

Bob

[This message has been edited by bpearse (edited 04-03-2001).]

·
Registered
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bpearse:
For live, I am doubtful the HiPix will ever be able to pause, and then return where it left off like the TiVo (or AccessDTV supposedly) does.

Bob

[This message has been edited by bpearse (edited 04-03-2001).]
Bob:

As an AccessDTV user I can confirm that pause works and works very well in Time Shifting mode on the AccessDTV card. As a matter of fact the released code that I received this past weekend actually cleared up some audio stuttering problems I thought were specifically related to the lack of horsepower my PC has. Now I get no stuttering at all with a PC that is lower powered than AccessDTV's final recommendations.

Vince

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup. I hear the AccessDTV card does do the 'pause live TV' thing well. I think that long term, once Telemann has bullet proof'ed their software and added what features can be added (given the hardware limiations), the pausing of live TV be the big differentiator between the HiPix and the AccessDTV cards. And, of course, the better program guide that AccessDTV provides (at a price).

Again, I love the HiPix, but I can imagine that many people will want the AccessDTV card because of the true time shifting, and the currently much better state of their software, as compared to Telemann's.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Until AccessDTV supports timed recording without a subscription (as both TiVo and Replay do), I wouldn't buy one. Also, without guide support for Dishnetwork, it isn't worth $10 a month to me.

/carmi

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I've only had a couple of hours to test recepton on the AccessDTV card, but what I used of it the reception was quite good. Hard to say if it's better or worse than the RCA DTC100, but it's certainly better than the HiPix. I still can't get one remote station that I was hoping to get (ch. 52 ABC in Baltimore) but the AccessDTV card does detect it during a channel scan, which is a good sign possibly.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I'm more curious about the quality of the DTV tuner in the AccessDTV card. I know from direct comparison to this demo Zenith STB I'm using right now that the Hipix card is quite poor when it comes to signal reception. Can anybody who has seen both in action make a comparison? Thanks! If something with better signal reception comes out that provides for recording, this Hipix is history. I'm pretty sure they can't improve the tuner with a software fix, but I could be wrong (it's happened before...I think..;-)

Chris

·
Registered
213 Posts
Is there no news?

I feel like I have used a beta program a lot longer than I should for a revenue product.

-MR

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.