AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice when I watch live broadcasts through my HiPix and when I play back recorded programming I get occasional stuttering in the audio. While it isn't nearly as annoying as the audio dropout problems I was having when I was trying to use the AccessDTV card, it is still a little annoying.

I did a search and found that a while back, many people were having this problem. I was wondering if many people are still having this problem with v2.3 of the software, and if anyone has figured out anything that can be done to help or eliminate the studdering audio problem? Also, does anyone know if this problem has been fixed in the 2.4 beta? And, speaking of the 2.4 beta, any estimates on when it will be released?

Thanks.

Sean Dudley

·
Registered
227 Posts
For me, this is an ancient problem. I had stuttering when the hipix was first released, last December. Back then, if I unchecked "Decode Audio" the stuttering went away. On hipix 2.3, it doesn't matter if it is checked or not -- audio is fine. Only time I get intermittent stuttering now is when I use other apps while hipix is up and running. I get better performance when hipix reads/writes to disk partition with max cluster size (32k).

Pentium II 400MHz

128MB RAM

Using sound cable between hipix and soundcard (cable that was included with hipix)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried disabling "Decode Audio" and made sure nothing other than Explorer, Systray and HiPix were running, but still get the audio studdering. Wish I could figure out a way to fix it. Thanks for the reply anyway.

Sean Dudley

·
Registered
227 Posts
actually, a post on the other thread (poll) compelled me to add one more thing:

When watching live DTV, I sometimes witness brief (~2 sec) stuttering caused by the broadcaster. This sometimes happens when:

1. Station is changing from SDTV to HDTV programming

2. Commercial break is ending and program is starting

3. Station's signal goes away suddenly (usually returns after a few seconds)

I am pretty certain that this audio stuttering is NOT a fault of the hipix. Some stations are more predictable than others.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This isn't the problem that I am experiencing. I am experiencing stuttering every 15 or 20 minutes regardless of content. I can be watching a movie from HBO for instance, and every 15 or 20 minutes, it will stutter for a split second. I have also noticed that I get some audio dropouts about every 15 or 20 minutes or so when watching a live feed.

Sean Dudley

·
Registered
967 Posts
I jused to get audio sutters every MINUTE! Recently I rebuilt my HTPC, installed the latest software, ,and.... the stutter was still there. I then unchecked the Decode Audio box (this option was greyed out previously), and the stutter went away. What's your hardware and software configuration of the HTPC?

·
Registered
702 Posts
I think I was experiencing a different problem than is described above, but the solution may help.

I was experiencing audio stutters 1 or 2 every couple seconds, when the hipix application wasn't in the foreground. This was made worse when my cpu was heavily loaded. Looking at the win2k task manager, the app doesn't use much cpu, but apparently it's a fairly real-time task (it needs to run at specific times or else the streams are interrupted -- implies not very big buffers)

Setting the "Hipix DTV-200.e" process in task manager to above normal priority solved the problem for me. Now the hipix can be in the background and no stutters.

I doubt if this is your problem, but it's worth a shot.

PS I can still make it stutter by scrolling in IE I just found out.

PPS I'm running a PIII 800 -- ~300MB RAM

·
Registered
702 Posts
In the past I've noticed dialogue dropping in volume (to maybe half?) while watching ATSC on my hipix. I always chalked it up to the broadcast. But right now, while looking for some 720P material for another test I'm working on, I'm looking at a clip of the birdcage. The dialogue has been normal volume, low and now non-existent, but all the background effects are still there (e.g. a glass drops and breaks, hearing water in a pool splashing against sides etc.)

I'm using a SB live value, and I'm playing the sound out through the main sound out (stereo altec lansing computer speakers).

I'm assuming this is because the hipix is outputting left and right without mixing in the center or something like that. Anybody actually know what's going on? Any good ways to get it to output left right and center mixed down to stereo?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.