AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below, is an experimental tweak for advanced Hipix users to try. This tweak should pass Hipix AC3 through your sound card using the PCI bus . This will eliminate the need for the Hipix daughter card and having to have a secondary S/PDIF out to your amp.

Note: There is no support for this tweak. However, I am curious how good it works for other people. Also, you need an installed DVD audio filter which needs to be configured to pass DVD audio through your sound card's S/PDIF. I have only gotten this to work using WinDVD.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Hipix

AudioDecoder (REG_SZ)

AudioDecoderIn (REG_SZ)

AudioDecoderOut (REG_SZ)

Â*

AudioDecoder = name of the audio decoder installed on your system.Â* This is case-sensitive. AudioDecoderIn = input pin name, case sensitive AudioDecoderOut = output pin name, case sensitive.

Â*

Â*

Example for Intervideo, decoder, in, out (notice they mis-spelled their output pin name):

Â*

InterVideo Audio Decoder

XForm In

XFrom Out

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Below are the reg tweaks to enable S/PDIF passthrough using WinDVD/PowerDVD audio filters. This needs to be done before the tweak above to work.

WinDVD:

Hkey current user\\software\\intervideo\\windvdi\\audio (reg_dword) = 6

PowerDVD:

Hkey current user/software/cyberlink/powerdvd (reg_dword) = 4

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Michael-

I will try this out! This is a feature I have wanted since version 2.0 was 'current'. Succeed or fail, I will tell you what happens and the details.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chris, WinDVD's audio filter is the only one I could get to work. The audio should sound better as well.

·
Registered
561 Posts
This is a feature that I desperately need. I do not want to buy an autoswitch so I have to manually switch my S/PDIFs and I lose a PCI slot that I could really use.

Unfortunately this tweak simply doesn't work. That or there just isn't enough information here to make it work. I suspect I have to be a graphedit exert maybe????

Regardless my configuration:

o Win98Se

o HiPix Release 3.0

o WinDVD 3.0

Registry Settings:

o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/HiPix/AudioDecoder (String)

set to ->"InterVideo Audio Decoder"

o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/HiPix/AudioDecoderIn (String)

set to ->"XForm In"

o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/HiPix/AudioDecoderIn (String)

set to ->"XFrom Out"

o HKEY_CURRENT_USER/InterVideo/Audio (DWord)

set to -> 0x00000006

(NOTE: I had to create the InterVideo

Key. It was not there when I went to

add this entry)

My current WinDVD (and Zoom Player with the WinDVD filters) always outputs DD 5.1 whenever it is present on the DVD I am playing.

Are there any settings in HiPix that must be done to make this work? It seems strange to me that all one has to do is change the registry and all of a sudden it is all suppose to magically work.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I can confirm it working on Win98SE, WinDVD3.1 and a Fortissimo1 sound card. It seems to cut in and out a little more on startup, but after about 5 seconds it stabilizes. Now only one optical cable needed. :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Found a mistake:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/InterVideo/Audio (DWord)

should be set to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/InterVideo/WinDVDi/Audio (DWord)

accoring to the earlier post by mkanet.

Didn't fix my problem though. I do hear pops & clicks when HiPix is started and the AC3 direct connector on the daughter board quits working as well as the internal analog audio which I connected to the Auxillary input of the sound card. Basically NO audio works unless I uncheck the "Decode Audio" checkbox in the HiPix setup dialog.

Sound Card is SB Audigy.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HDTV Moron, Im not too sure what to tell you. I also use an SB Audigy for this and WinDVD. I think it also matters what version of the WinDVD filter you are using.

I was going to wait until this tweak was integrated into the Hipix app; however, I thought I would give you guys somethign to play with until 3.1 beta is released.

·
Registered
404 Posts
the PowerDVD Settings would be:

AudioDecoder (REG_SZ) = CyberLink Audio Decoder

AudioDecoderIn (REG_SZ) = Audio In

AudioDecoderOut (REG_SZ) = Audio Out

but it appears that PowerDVD does not work with this feature.

Any reason why the output has to be specified as SPDIF? Any reason the sound couldn't be sent to the multichannel DAC? Would this happen by default if the SPDIF registry settings were not made?

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I briefly tried the settings and it didn't work, but I have been super-busy all month so I haven't had time to really tinker with the system, or verify my settings. It is good to hear that several people have this working.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
works for me. windows xp, audigy sound card, windvd 3.2 audio filters. Remember to go into the hipix config panel and make sure audio decode is set to ON after you make the regedit changes.

Just tried powerdvd xp 4.0 as well. Powerdvd does NOT work for me.

By the way, at least for me in the DC area, NBC (WRC) signal does not send out a DD 5.1 that my receiver can sync too. All the other channels are fine.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Really interested in getting this working. Can I ask someone "in the know" here to summarize the settings. I've tried a couple combinations & get nothing so far.

Just for info, here's my setup:

HiPix currently working on on it's own SPDIF out daughter card

PowerDVD working with SPDIF out

Creative SBLive Value! working with SPDIF out

I'm manually swapping the SPDIF cable from the HiPix to the SBLive as my amp has only one coax SPDIF in.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
please please please incorporate this into a software release :)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I just upgraded my MB with one with built-in C-Media audio. Whereas it WAS working for me before with a Fotissimo sound card, it no longer works with the C-Media audio.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
after trying this tweek for a little while I had to turn it off. In my case NBC here in the DC area was somehow confusing my Onkyo receiver with the DD signal the HIPIX was passing. Causing horrible clicks and squecks coming from my speakers.

When this feature makes it into the next release it would be nice if it could be set by channel to be on or off.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
When will the 3.1 beta incorporate the feature? Actually I will be happy using two coax outs if I could just have USB 2.0 work with HiPix.

Tim

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW6ATV
I briefly tried the settings and it didn't work, but I have been super-busy all month so I haven't had time to really tinker with the system, or verify my settings. It is good to hear that several people have this working.
Update: I got it to work! I had a whole bunch of DVD programs installed as well as WinDVR (another InterVideo program), so I uninstalled everything (WinDVR, PowerDVD, ATI MMC, Zoom Player and the Ravisent Decoder Pack) and reinstalled just WinDVD 3.1 and it works fine. The audio registry key is this:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/InterVideo/WinDVD/Audio (DWord)=6

(Note it is not "WinDVDi", just "WinDVD" on my system.)

Now, I will reinstall some of the missing programs and see which one 'breaks' the HiPix non-decoded pass-through.

Thanks, Michael!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.