AVS Forum banner

141 - 153 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Trailer says premier in Fall.

So presumably if it airs in the Fall on HBO, it may be a month or two earlier on BBC
Season 1 premiered at the same time across both BBC One and HBO (technically BBC had it 1 day earlier)

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Production Forced To Cut Lord Asriel Episode From Season 2 Amid Coronavirus

Bad Wolf has been forced to cut an episode from Season 2 of BBC and HBO fantasy drama His Dark Materials after filming was derailed by the coronavirus pandemic...Speaking at [email protected] on Thursday, executive producer Jane Tranter said that the new season will be seven episodes instead of eight after a standalone story starring James McAvoy as Lord Asriel was unable to shoot

The episode featured a self-contained narrative, which does not appear in The Subtle Knife, the second Philip Pullman novel on which Season 2 is based...writer Jack Thorne penned it with the blessing of Pullman, and it was set to be McAvoy’s main appearance in the second season...instead, it has ended on the cutting floor after filming halted when the UK went into lockdown in March...

https://deadline.com/2020/07/his-da...pisode-season-2-comic-con-at-home-1202993036/

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #144

·
Registered
8,491 Posts
For anyone who plays games, Uncharted 4 is a beautiful game, widely acclaimed.

I mention it because the first levels in the game looks and feels like Oxford in HDM when Lyra and her friends are running the roofs they're surrounded by these elegant Gothic buildings.

Except in the game, you control the climbing, jumping, running and sliding while the beautiful architecture looms all around your character.

HDM would make for a great video game but probably not popular enough to get that kind of high production values game design.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Season 2 based on The Subtle Knife book should be an improvement...S1 had too much backstory/exposition that needed to be told...

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
For anyone who plays games, Uncharted 4 is a beautiful game, widely acclaimed.

I mention it because the first levels in the game looks and feels like Oxford in HDM when Lyra and her friends are running the roofs they're surrounded by these elegant Gothic buildings.

Except in the game, you control the climbing, jumping, running and sliding while the beautiful architecture looms all around your character.

HDM would make for a great video game but probably not popular enough to get that kind of high production values game design.
I seriously need to play Uncharted 4 (currently working through the Uncharted collection on PS4 after having played all three numerous times on PS3).

But I don't see how HDM works as a video game when all you would need to do is kill someone's weak-ass rabbit, butterfly, or ferret daemon and game over, unless it's done as a point-and-click adventure game.

·
Registered
8,491 Posts
I'm just thinking more in terms of the environments and the way games have gotten cinematic, with clearly professional voice acting and score to immerse you in what seems like an adventure.

Yeah when you game-i-fy a narrative, you have to build in battles, kills and such, unless it's mainly about finding key objects required to move the narrative along.

Of course adventure games like Uncharted and Tomb Raider are mostly copying Indiana Jones movies, in narrative and themes.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
I'm just thinking more in terms of the environments and the way games have gotten cinematic, with clearly professional voice acting and score to immerse you in what seems like an adventure.

Yeah when you game-i-fy a narrative, you have to build in battles, kills and such, unless it's mainly about finding key objects required to move the narrative along.

Of course adventure games like Uncharted and Tomb Raider are mostly copying Indiana Jones movies, in narrative and themes.
a lot of shows/movies nowadays look more like video games...especially CGI heavy series...but video games are also becoming more cinematic-- using motion capture, hiring big name actors like Keanu Reeves (who will have his likeness and voice used in Cyberpunk 2077) etc...Uncharted 4 is a great example of that...the PS Uncharted series was great (Uncharted 4 was the weakest of the series but had the best graphics)

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
His Dark Materials: Find Out Exactly When Season 2 Will Get Underway

his just in: Your trip to Cittagazze now has an exact departure date.

His Dark Materials will return to HBO on Monday, Nov. 16, at 9/8c, the network tweeted Monday.

Season 2 of the drama is based on The Subtle Knife, Book 2 of Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials novel trilogy. In the Season 1 finale, Dafne Keen’s Lyra followed James McAvoy’s Lord Asriel into a new world; earlier, the fantasy drama introduced a boy named Will, who similarly crossed into an alternate universe.

The Subtle Knife follows Lyra and Will, who spend a significant amount of time in a mysterious town called Cittagazze; meanwhile, many of the characters we met in Season 1 of the TV series spend a lot of time and effort trying to find Lyra — some to protect her, some to do her harm.

Season 2 cast additions include Terence Stamp (the Superman films), Jade Anouka (Turn Up Charlie), Simone Kirby (Peaky Blinders) and Phoebe Waller-Bridge, who will provide the voice of the daemon (or animal-spirit-soul-thing, for the uninitiated) belonging to John Parry, played by her Fleabag co-star Andrew Scott.

141 - 153 of 153 Posts