AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hisense was a sponser at the Worldcup 2018. From what i understand they presented the UD9 at the day of the final. This TV has 5376 zones so it is highly likely that it is a miniLED FALD (just like the Samsung 85'' Q9S which has not yet has been launched).
http://dci-forum.com/news/2/may-first-mini-led-tv-hisense-launches-5376-zone-backlight-tv-ud9/2959/

There have been some cynical comments at flatpanelshd at a Hisense 2018 line-up article...so keep that in mind...
Captain Midnight
''Hisense is the King of Vaporware. The still didn't release the 75H10D from last year, despite it passing FCC certification. And rumor is the 75H10E is limited to 2000 units world wide, so don't expect to seen that one either.''
Jjames
''Pretty sure they also said that they would be releasing an OLED this year as well ''

·
Registered
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mini-LED does sound intriguing if we ever actually see it. I think it's interesting.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
MiniLED is the next step in LCD evolution, such TVs will be capable of 10 times more zones...thousands of zones. The Samsung miniLED 85'' Q9S is suppost to hit the market before the end of this year at $30,000. In smaller sizes AUO announced it will start shipping miniLED backlit LCD panels for gaming monitors in 4th quarter 2018 so miniLED monitors we are going to see very soon..
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-...5184-auo-mini-led-gaming-monitors-panels.html

·
4,623 Posts
MiniLED is the next step in LCD evolution, such TVs will be capable of 10 times more zones...thousands of zones. The Samsung miniLED 85'' Q9S is suppost to hit the market before the end of this year at $30,000. In smaller sizes AUO announced it will start shipping miniLED backlit LCD panels for gaming monitors in 4th quarter 2018 so miniLED monitors we are going to see very soon..
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-...5184-auo-mini-led-gaming-monitors-panels.html
30 grand is what I was afraid of. Wow that is expensive.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
721 Posts
I don't think hes going to be correct regarding the Q9S and the pricing. Hes basing it off the 85 inch Q9S which was revealed at CES. A few weeks ago Samsung released that they have 2 new tv ranges ready with a premium range coming just after IFA in September. It will be an 8k range in 65/75/82/85 inches. I believe personally that this will be the Q9S range but I think its going to be in a much more affordable price range with id imagine a much lower zone count than the 20000 or so zones it was rumoured to have. If Samsung really want to claw back some of the premium market they really need to make the price of this reasonable especially if there launching it in three sizes.

I'm going to guess it will be a more downscaled Q9S but then again who knows. I don't believe its going to be the exact same TV shown at CES though as that was most likely a prototype but only time will tell. Plus isn't mini LED rumoured to be about the same price to make as OLED?

For example. A quote from a website talking about mini LED. "Taking 65-inch an UHD OLED TV panel as an example, the production cost is probably between $950 and $1000. As for a 65-inch UHD with Mini LED backlight, which uses 30000 to 40000 LEDs, the production cost is between $900 and $1000. Since power consumption is not a priority issue for television, and the cost of Mini LED is actually similar to that of OLED, mini LED does have an opportunity in the market"

·
Registered
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think hes going to be correct regarding the Q9S and the pricing. Hes basing it off the 85 inch Q9S which was revealed at CES. A few weeks ago Samsung released that they have 2 new tv ranges ready with a premium range coming just after IFA in September. It will be an 8k range in 65/75/82/85 inches. I believe personally that this will be the Q9S range but I think its going to be in a much more affordable price range with id imagine a much lower zone count than the 20000 or so zones it was rumoured to have. If Samsung really want to claw back some of the premium market they really need to make the price of this reasonable especially if there launching it in three sizes.

I'm going to guess it will be a more downscaled Q9S but then again who knows. I don't believe its going to be the exact same TV shown at CES though as that was most likely a prototype but only time will tell. Plus isn't mini LED rumoured to be about the same price to make as OLED?

For example. A quote from a website talking about mini LED. "Taking 65-inch an UHD OLED TV panel as an example, the production cost is probably between $950 and $1000. As for a 65-inch UHD with Mini LED backlight, which uses 30000 to 40000 LEDs, the production cost is between $900 and $1000. Since power consumption is not a priority issue for television, and the cost of Mini LED is actually similar to that of OLED, mini LED does have an opportunity in the market"
Samsung insisted that the 85'' Q9S will have more than 10,000 zones.

C|NET estimated that it will cost $40,000
https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-spits-out-an-85-inch-tv-with-8k-resolution-ces-2018/

·
Registered
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wonder if the Q8S will have half the dimming zones? Which in Samsung math means 40. Exactly 40 dimming zones.
Right. Lets wait and see. Anyway eventually these miniLED FALD LCDs will pop-up having 10 times more zones than what we have now.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Samsung insisted that the 85'' Q9S will have more than 10,000 zones.

C|NET estimated that it will cost $40,000
https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-spits-out-an-85-inch-tv-with-8k-resolution-ces-2018/

Yes but those where all from January...Its along time since January and at CES there was no mention that there would be 2 8k ranges with multiple sizes. Things could have very well changed since then. The Cnet article is just an estimation also.

I maybe wrong but I think the "premium" range of TV's coming out just after IFA that are 8K will be the Q9S range but the 65 and 75 inch will be at a much more affordable price. Things change a lot from CES.

·
Registered
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes but those where all from January...Its along time since January and at CES there was no mention that there would be 2 8k ranges with multiple sizes. Things could have very well changed since then. The Cnet article is just an estimation also.

I maybe wrong but I think the "premium" range of TV's coming out just after IFA that are 8K will be the Q9S range but the 65 and 75 inch will be at a much more affordable price. Things change a lot from CES.
There was a 85'' 8K sort of prototype at CES which was named (temporarily?) Q9S which according a Samsung infograph uses MFA, Full Array Micro LED backlight technology which suggests that it is a mini LED FALD, with it comes way more zones than we are used to, 10,000+ according to Samsung. Are you saying they make that stuff up, demo it at CES and we never ever hear about it again? And not forget that Hisense ''launched'' such mini LED TV a few day ago. Also there was a 27'' BOE mini LED demo in may 2018 at Displayweek. That stuff is popping up now and will be for sale soon so Samsung launching such TV at some point this year is a bit early but not a out of the ordinary thing.

·
Registered
721 Posts
No I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is that Things can change during the year. What we see at CES might end up being very different to the consumer model and with Samsung needing to get back some of the premium market I can see the model they have announced to arrive shortly after IFA maybe the Q9S but may also be quite different specs to the one they showed at CES. Mini LED costs slightly less than OLED at the same screen size so they could have very well changed the Q9S into a proper range with multiple sizes at more realistic price points. Only time will tell. They announced 2 ranges of 8K TV's with the more "premium" range coming soon. That surely has to be the Q9S range.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Are you saying they make that stuff up, demo it at CES and we never ever hear about it again? And not forget that Hisense ''launched'' such mini LED TV a few day ago.
Yes, that happens. Products are announced and are never heard from again. LG was showing off OLED years before it made it to production.

·
Registered
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, that happens. Products are announced and are never heard from again. LG was showing off OLED years before it made it to production.
What manufacturers do is demo a prototype and we never here about it again which is called vaporware, something futuristic like the Sony Crystal LED of which Sony said that it is something they put together in the lab. Which is something different than demoing a OLED knowing that you are not that far away from having a actual product, or Samsung demoing a prototype which is unfinished but will be on the market with similar specs this year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts