AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so has anyone seen this yet

http://boards.history.com/topic/Mode...19766&start=45

this is still a problem and there is nothing that The History Channel or A&E has done about it yet - not only that they havent even responded to the posts in the forums about this

I have noticed problems with The Histrory Channel - other than the stretching issue, there seems to be some kinda line across the center of the screen that is sorta blury or not looking correct - it is only with this channel and no other channels or Blu-Ray

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,724 Posts
It's kind of old news, but still distressing that they distort SD images.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Don't even get me started on History HD. They're absolutely clueless when it comes to broadcasting HD. They actually stretch new programming that is shown in letterbox, and they still put the "History HD" bug over the stretched letterbox show!

And they seem to show the same shows wrong. I gave up on watching Monster Quest because one of the episodes I wanted to see was stretched letterbox EVERY time it was on!!!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/15515165

It's kind of old news, but still distressing that they distort SD images.

its not about SD material

its about HD being stretched out

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg /forum/post/15515189

Don't even get me started on History HD. They're absolutely clueless when it comes to broadcasting HD. They actually stretch new programming that is shown in letterbox, and they still put the "History HD" bug over the stretched letterbox show!

And they seem to show the same shows wrong. I gave up on watching Monster Quest because one of the episodes I wanted to see was stretched letterbox EVERY time it was on!!!

YEP thats what I am talking about

maybe since this forum is much better than most at getting the word out about things if a big enough stink is made about this maybe something could be done about it

·
Registered
17,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftkidney /forum/post/15515392

The stuff they are stretching is SD. Aside from 4:3 film material that has been remastered for HD, all HD content is 16:9 or wider, which means stretching would not be necessary.

Letterboxed doesn't mean HD. Even 4:3 material can be letterboxed. A 16:9 image inside a 4:3 frame is still SD and History will stretch it.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV /forum/post/15515452

The stuff they are stretching is SD. Aside from 4:3 film material that has been remastered for HD, all HD content is 16:9 or wider, which means stretching would not be necessary.

Letterboxed doesn't mean HD. Even 4:3 material can be letterboxed. A 16:9 image inside a 4:3 frame is still SD and History will stretch it.

But the shows I've seen are sometimes:

New shows that have aired in 16:9 HD once, then are stretched letterbox when shown again.

Also, I've seen shows in stretched letterbox that I've never seen in full 16:9, I'll call it that since some may be SD and letterbox. And even if it is SD letterbox on the SD channel, it should be shown full screen 16:9 on the HD channel, like FOX's "digital widescreen". 16:9 content should either be windowbox or expanded to fit the 16:9 AR of the channel, but never stretched.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftkidney /forum/post/15515392

There is no such thing as stretched out HD on History, or anywhere else for that matter.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV /forum/post/15515452

OK OK OK its obvious you havent seen this

what you get is 1.78:1 stretched to about 1.85:1 and the History Channel logo is in the correct place partially in the letterboxed and partially not

Iwill post some screen shots when I get a chance

·
Registered
45,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftkidney /forum/post/15520232

OK OK OK its obvious you havent seen this

what you get is 1.78:1 stretched to about 1.85:1 and the History Channel logo is in the correct place partially in the letterboxed and partially not

Iwill post some screen shots when I get a chance

Don't bother. I have History HD, I've seen it what you're describing, and what they are doing is stretching letterboxed SD, like has been explained. They are not stretching HD. They do air the same program in HD and then in SD, along with other crimes against common sense.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/15520298

Don't bother. I have History HD, I've seen it what you're describing, and what they are doing is stretching letterboxed SD, like has been explained. They are not stretching HD. They do air the same program in HD and then in SD, along with other crimes against common sense.

NO! thats not what I am talking about - they do stretch SD letterboxed also but I am talking about stretching HD content

actually they dont really stretch HD content - they squish it down on the top and bottom so it looks like SD letterboxed stretched to 16x9 - BUT it is in HD for sure

it was done with the band of brothers over Christmas when it was showed - it was HD for sure (I know what SD and HD looks like) that was in HD but the top and bottom were squished closer together so it looked like when you watch a movie that isnt 16x9 but wider than 16x9

I confirmed this by switching to the SD history channel and using the wide mode on my TV so it looked the same as the one on the HD channel but it was obvious that it was SD and the other was HD

I am going to record a 6 hour block on the history channel and check it later, then take pics

again I am sure it is NOT SD letterboxed being stretched to 16x9 - rather its 16x9 being squashed on the top and bottom

·
Registered
45,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftkidney /forum/post/15522034

it was done with the band of brothers over Christmas when it was showed - it was HD for sure (I know what SD and HD looks like) that was in HD but the top and bottom were squished closer together so it looked like when you watch a movie that isnt 16x9 but wider than 16x9

BOB was SD.

·
Registered
17,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftkidney /forum/post/15522034

actually they dont really stretch HD content - they squish it down on the top and bottom so it looks like SD letterboxed stretched to 16x9 - BUT it is in HD for sure

That's how it looks when you stretch letterboxed SD.

You say you do, but apparently you don't know what HD looks like. BOB was most definitely NOT HD on the History Channel. It looked like crap - and was stretched.

BOB has stunning picture quality, even on the DVDs. The History Channel airing wasn't anywhere in the same league.

·
Registered
45,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV /forum/post/15522151

BOB has stunning picture quality, even on the DVDs. The History Channel airing wasn't anywhere in the same league.

Yes, I've still got it on D-VHS from the original HBO HD airing.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have seen the same thing. After Dish stopped carrying the VOOM channels most of the "replacement" HD channels were either SD with an HD logo on the bottom or it was stretched beyond watching.

Jeff

·
Registered
45,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV /forum/post/15522288

Oh, then you got it before HBO started bitstarving themselves...

Yup.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/15522113

BOB was SD.

pretty sure it was HD since they remastered it for BluRay recently

but even though I have seen HD letterboxed

really I know what I am talking about - I am not misunderstanding this

I have a Pioneer Pro-111FD and for sure I can tell what HD and SD look like - believe me they are doing this, I wil get a pic of what I am talking about - one from the HD and one from the SD channel

if I use my DVDO I can stretch and squish the picture as I see fit and fix this problem - I can tell it is HD not SD

·
Registered
4,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftkidney /forum/post/15523167

pretty sure it was HD since they remastered it for BluRay recently

but even though I have seen HD letterboxed

really I know what I am talking about - I am not misunderstanding this

I have a Pioneer Pro-111FD and for sure I can tell what HD and SD look like - believe me they are doing this, I wil get a pic of what I am talking about - one from the HD and one from the SD channel

if I use my DVDO I can stretch and squish the picture as I see fit and fix this problem - I can tell it is HD not SD

BOB on History is SD. They do not have HD masters for it. Just becasue it was released on Blu-ray does not mean that A&E Networks bought HD masters. Besides since it was on HBO originally in HD masters exsit from the beginning. Obviosly A&E Networks feel that spending money for HD masters is not worth their money.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Too bad they used the SD source for BoB. Not only that, it wasn't even in 5.1. It obviously lessens the impact of the program. Loathsome effort on HistoryHD's part.

I like UFO Hunters on History HD but am disappointed with the letterboxed repeats of shows like Monster Quest when the original airings were 16x9 HD.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts