1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EXCLUSIVE: New Network Name Becomes History

Additional programming planned as H2 replaces HI

By Jon Lafayette -- Broadcasting & Cable, 9/2/2011 8:43:31 AM

With its History network ranked No. 2 in cable during the summer, A+E Networks plans to rename its History International channel as H2 effective Sept. 26.

While History has grown with reality series like American Pickers, Pawn Stars and Ice Road Truckers, H2 will feature an expanded programming lineup of historical series and specials from a global perspective. H2's new tagline is "More 2 History."

History International is in more than 47 million homes. This summer, HI averaged 196,000 viewers in primetime, down 2% from the same period in 2010. The channel ranked 48th among ad supported cable networks.

"For the past four years History has catapulted to the top of the cable landscape. Our success has given us new opportunities we are eager to expand," Nancy Dubuc, president and general manager of History and Lifetime Networks. "H2 will build on the success of HI with an increase in original programming that will allow viewers to immerse themselves even deeper into the topics they have come to enjoy."

H2 will launch with a theme week titled "From Big Bang to the Apocalypse" (working title), including a special The Universe: Beyond the Big Bang. H2 is also in production on new episodes of The Universe.

The renamed network has in development a number of series and specials designed to both entertaining and informative.

H2 will be overseen by Dirk Hoogstra, senior VP, programming and development, History, with Charles Nordlander serving as VP, programming and development and John Verhoff as executive producer.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...es_History.php

·
Banned
418 Posts
Ewww... this isn't a good sign. Then again, History International was never anything to write home about either, with a schedule consisting entirely of old History re-runs and a lot of standard definition content.

Still, changing the name to remove the channel's topic indicates an obvious intention to add more "reality shows" that have nothing to do with history.

Discovery Communications recently did this crap with the Science Channel, simply renaming it "Sci." Since doing this I've noticed a new auction reality show called "Oddities" flooding the channel in addition to "An Idiot Abroad" and other shows that don't really have anything to do with science.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I was actually thinking the other day while watching a repeat of "How the States Got their Shapes" on HI, what exactly does this have to do with international history? Which was the first time I've watched the channel this year I think. So I guess this makes sense. The channel has been for a long time, maybe always, just a dumping ground for old History Channel programs. Just like the "Sci" channel is for Discovery.

More channels doesn't mean more programming its jut more repeats and garbage filler.

·
Banned
418 Posts
Science has a lot of original programming that originates on the channel.

Actually, it probably has way more of its own programming than programming that originated on Discovery.

I don't think I've seen a single thing on History International that wasn't recycled from History.

I just wish they'd switch to 1080i when they re-brand it. Lifetime is 1080i and so is A&E and History on Demand. I think A&E and History on Demand look better than the "live" versions of the channels even though they have a slightly lower bitrate.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontail60 /forum/post/20897621

Ewww... this isn't a good sign. Then again, History International was never anything to write home about either, with a schedule consisting entirely of old History re-runs and a lot of standard definition content.

Still, changing the name to remove the channel's topic indicates an obvious intention to add more "reality shows" that have nothing to do with history.

I've checked the schedule for Sept. 26 on the What's On app for my IPad 2. They don't have reality shows on there unlike History which apparently is going all reality because of this from the schedule I've seen. Also, unlike History, H2 is getting rid of their infomercial block from 5 AM-7AM Eastern Time. So H2 will be 24 hours because of that

·
Banned
418 Posts
So... H2 has been around for a few months now, and my impressions of the network are very positive. Aside from the full colored logo (still not as annoying as History's), and spam text above the logo (common, but you can often record a repeat airing or something without it), I feel this network is a big improvement over History International. I don't think HI had any new material, just mostly old recycled stuff from before History became the disaster it is now.

I have seen nothing but documentary shows. More HD documentary airings than History International had. When they say "More 2 History," they're not lying. This network is like History before it became a reality show infested ****hole.

Modern Marvels was the best show on History and it has now been shifted to H2, with all new episodes. Same thing for The Universe.

If your provider doesn't carry H2 HD yet, I recommend bitching at them. As it stands now, H2 is a far better network than the original History Channel and it deserves a space in any cable provider's roster more than History does. H2 HD is now a noticeably important channel missing from DirecTV and Verizon FiOS's lineup and if you're a documentary fan you're missing out.

Here's a screencap of H2 HD's logo. I've certainly seen worse:

·
Registered
5,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontail60 /forum/post/21478173

Modern Marvels was the best show on History and it has now been shifted to H2, with all new episodes. Same thing for The Universe.

I've been wondering about this as well. Do they "really" have new seasons of these shows, or are they recycled (repeats) of what's on History Channel.

I watched last night's "new" episode of The Universe, on H2, and I swear I've seen that episode before. Perhaps it was originally aired on History Channel?

Some years ago, I remember reading on avsforum that History International/H2 just replays stuff that was originally aired on History Channel.

Would love some clarification.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C /forum/post/21479441

I've been wondering about this as well. Do they "really" have new seasons of these shows, or are they recycled (repeats) of what's on History Channel.

I watched last night's "new" episode of The Universe, on H2, and I swear I've seen that episode before. Perhaps it was originally aired on History Channel?

Some years ago, I remember reading on avsforum that History International/H2 just replays stuff that was originally aired on History Channel.

The History Channel does have a habit of "recomposing" new shows out of old footage. Like for instance, they've taken all those old "Nostradamus" programs and rearranged them into new shows, and then added a recent date (year). However, I haven't watched H2, so I don't know for sure if they're doing it for that channel.

·
Banned
418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C /forum/post/21479441

Nope. They're new episodes.

You can see here the Modern Marvels episode original airdates.

The last half of season 16 and season 17 are exclusive to H2. So far these have aired:
Quote:
685 16x48 03/Oct/2011 Inside Your Walls 7

686 16x49 10/Oct/2011 Built By Hand 7

687 16x50 17/Oct/2011 The Magnum 8

688 16x51 24/Oct/2011 Swamp Tech 8

689 16x52 07/Nov/2011 Is That a ... in Your Pocket? 7

690 16x53 14/Nov/2011 Food Trucks 8

691 16x54 21/Nov/2011 Superhighways 8

692 16x55 28/Nov/2011 Weird Machines 8

693 16x56 05/Dec/2011 More Candy 7

694 16x57 19/Dec/2011 Wood 8

695 16x58 26/Dec/2011 Convenience Stores 8

696 17x01 02/Jan/2012 Battle Ready N/A

697 17x02 09/Jan/2012 Waterproof 7

698 17x03 16/Jan/2012 Tiny Weapons N/A

699 17x04 23/Jan/2012 Stink N/A

700 17x05 30/Jan/2012 Under Pressure N/A
The new season of The Universe, season 6, is exclusive to H2

Quote:
Episode # Airdate Title Rating

65 6x01 25/Oct/2011 Catastrophes that Changed the Planets 8.5

66 6x02 01/Nov/2011 Nemesis: The Sun's Evil Twin 8

67 6x03 08/Nov/2011 How the Solar System was Made 8

68 6x04 22/Nov/2011 Crash Landing on Mars 8

69 6x05 29/Nov/2011 Worst Days on Planet Earth 7

70 6x06 13/Dec/2011 UFO: The Real Deal 8

71 6x07 20/Dec/2011 God and the Universe 8.5

They do air regular Modern Marvels repeats as well - something that is becoming very rare on "History"...

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Thanks for the information you guys.

I'm watching H2 right now, and there was a "more 2 space" promotional commercial.

At the end of the promotional commercial, the announcer said "An all new season of The Universe tonight at 10 on H2". I look at my EPG and the original air date of tonight's "new" episode is 05-29-07 and is titled Secrets of the Sun. It's The Universe's pilot episode.

ha

Edit:

"The Universe" Secrets of the Sun (TV episode 2007)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1053154/

·
Banned
418 Posts
Yeah, that's true. When they advertise "new" episodes they really mean "new to H2."

But some of them actually are completely new - last new episode of The Universe was S06E07, aired for the first time December 20, 2011 only on H2.

Modern Marvels was new last night too - "Tiny Weapons"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.