AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been down a long and arduous road to choosing a TV, I first went with a direct view with the plan of using it as a simple computer monitor, and that fell through like the elections in California.

Now, after intensive reading (again) I've decided that a RPTV would be somewhat affordable and give me a larger picture and more theater like experience to match my Onkyo speakers :)

I've read various opions about the 51F500 (along with people saying the 51S500 is better, but its just outta my price range).

But not a whole lot (actually, just one opinon from one person) about the 51WS510. I've owned a 27inch Wega before this, and I loved it.. but widescreen movies are just so.. small. I guess I could say i'm partial to sony, but not unwilling to look at other products by other companies.

The uses will be:

PC Games 10% of the time

DVD Movies 35% of the time

PS2 + GC games 55% of the time

with more of the videogame time switching to HD once its broadcast in my area.

I want to go with a widescreen for longnativity and my love for movies, I understand not all console games support widescreen, but i'm sure next generation shall be different. I don't mind grey bars to prevent burn in. (Since field of vision seems to go left to right, I find bars on the side to be less noticable, but perhaps thats just me)

I'm on the fence for both the sets, which can both be had for a reasonable price at Circuit City with the current sale + giftcard (Which ends the 20th at my local store here in Florida). When I was first in Circuit City the Sony set stood out among the rest, but you can't let that be the entire decision maker in your purchase. Calibration means a lot i'm sure.

To make matters worse, now i'm consdiering perhaps a Projector, like the BenQ PalmPro DX550.. but i'll take those to another section :D

This forum could not be any more valuable of an asset to me, and I hope to share the infrormation I learn here with other users and friends and family.

PS. I must apoligize, I am perhaps the worst person in regards to the ablity to make up his mind :confused:

·
Registered
757 Posts
rock and a hard place, huh?

i was debating between sony and hitachi for a while. that's so interesting that the sony stood out to you. i went to cc the other day and the hitachi models had better colors and stretch modes hands down (imho). i was specifically comparing the 51s500 to the sony51 you mentioned. as always, you should get what YOU want and not what someone else tells you to get. so now i'm deciding between the hitachi 51s500 (that everyone tells me to get) and the hitachi 46w500. i just love the cabinet that you can get with the 46.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I purchased the 51s700 it is a new model that most stores do not have yet but can get in a few days. By shopping it I got it for 2000.00 retail is 2499.00. This model has the s series crts but includes the off air hdtv tuner. By far the best bang for the buck. Stay away from sony.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just purchased the 46w500 yesterday from CC. Got a great price and the TV looks good out of the box. Will do the AVIA disc later tonight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.