AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This forum is great! After learning a lot over the past few weeks I am ready to "pull the trigger" on the Hitachi 51SWX20B but I have one question. How long is the cord?

My surge protector is located in a wall cabinet about 10 feet away from where the unit will be and I really want to plug it into this unit along with the rest of my equipment (and not the wall outlet which will be behind the unit). If the cord won't reach is it possible to lenqthen it to reach?

TYIA

·
Registered
542 Posts
Is there some reason that you don't want to use an extension cord? They do come in a variety of lengths ;)

The standard cord is approximately 2 meters.

--

- Jeff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was told by a technician years ago that issues could arise from using an extension cord.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Well, I wouldn't use an ungrounded 18ga zip cord, but I can't see why a decent quality, grounded 16 or 14ga extension cord would be an issue. RPTVs draw a helluva lot less power than your average circular saw :)

If you're concerned about cord quality, got to an electrical supply store and buy your own plugs and cable separately and build it yourself. It's pretty hard to get it wrong . . .

--

- Jeff

·
Registered
972 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the ground as I don't think the TV plug has a ground prong anyways. Polarity *may* be an issue.

Do they not ground most TV's (and other electronics) due to potential ground loop interference?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just repeating what JDrumm and RichUF have already said. You can use a good quality extension cord. The longer the distance the better quality you need or should I say larger gauge wire you need. And the TV does not have a ground. Most new extension cords are polarity correct so this should not be a problem, just make sure it supports polarity correction like RichUF said.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I didn't say I'd actually use one, I just tried to thow out the grounding concern! ;)

Please don't sue me if your set blows up or catches fire or something! I'm no electrician, I only play one on TV. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.