AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hitachi's disc they have made required only the standard head and just a firmware update to either your current standalone player or your current PS3 and you would be good to go.

Hitachi is trying to make the signal quality more stable before releasing the discs for the public.

Hitachi is also already working in an eight-layer disc which can hold 200GB.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/34221/118/

-------

Could this mean Kill Bill The Whole Bloody Affair on ONE Disc
!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuway /forum/post/14169059

The prospect of the ability to read 100gb discs is truly mind blowing.

I'll stick with the streaming movie services.
The internet speeds in the US are like a mind blowing 5Mbps(for the 3600 of us that have broadband
).

As if LOTR would ever be released anyway.

It's pretty cool that all it would take is a FW update. Good work Hitachi.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This all exists, its not all about R&D and studio support. This disc could be used for extremely long films and still mantain the quality of high bit rate.

For example, the Godfather, Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair, any part in LOTR.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 /forum/post/14170299

50 GB is sufficient to accommodate LOTR with one lossless audio track and zero extras.

Even the Return of the King Extended Edition 4+ hour movie with 7.1(or 6.1, whatever they want) master audio?

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Disc 1 - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - 208 min

37.44 GB @24 Mbps (Video)

39.00 GB @25 Mbps (Video)

9.36 GB @6 Mbps (Audio - DTS-HD MA 24-bit)

10.14 GB @6.5 Mbps (Audio - DTS-HD MA 24-bit)

Disc 2 - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - 223 min

36.79 GB @22 Mbps (Video)

38.47 GB @23 Mbps (Video)

10.03 GB @6 Mbps (Audio - DTS-HD MA 24-bit)

10.87 GB @6.5 Mbps (Audio - DTS-HD MA 24-bit)

Disc 3 - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - 251 min

37.65 GB @20 Mbps (Video)

37.65 GB @20 Mbps (Video)

11.29 GB @6 Mbps (Audio - DTS-HD MA 24-bit)

12.23 GB @6.5 Mbps (Audio - DTS-HD MA 24-bit)

Disc 4 - Special features

50 GB

Disc 5 - second disc for Special features if required

50 GB

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
I don't think that much higher bit rates are needed if the master is in pristine shape and when the movie uses lots of CGI. Take Peter Jackson's King Kong which is extravagantly rich in production value and contains excessive use of CGI. Required just 17 Mbps AVBR to produce demo PQ. Let's keep in mind that POTC, Cars & Ratatouille are encoded at 20~23 Mbps. A tactical encode with bit rates on high teens might still offer excellent results.

IMO I don't want the main feature to be split into two discs especially on Blu-ray.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 /forum/post/14170659

I don't think that much higher bit rates are needed if the master is in pristine shape and when the movie uses lots of CGI. Take Peter Jackson's King Kong which is extravagantly rich in production value and contains excessive use of CGI. Required just 17 Mbps AVBR to produce demo PQ.

Not in my view in the end credit sequence on the UK version. If anyone can do screencaps, it will prove my point (excessive blocking in the picture). Also, the UK version had no room for extras/IME.

Even though it contains a lot of CGI, it also has live action in most shots, and they too will get even better with higher bitrates and they will be less compressed, and look better (depending on the screen size/viewing distance/display type etc.).

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
From the article, it isn't clear to me whether this 100GB disc is just for end-consumer use (like data/home movies etc.) or commercial use, like for distributing entire HD TV series/shows or long films at high bitrates (maybe with many extras on the same disc).

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would love to see a day where the entire film is using maxed out bit rates. This could also help realize anamorphic 2.40 blurays.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs /forum/post/14170726

Not in my view in the end credit sequence on the UK version. If anyone can do screencaps, it will prove my point (excessive blocking in the picture). Also, the UK version had no room for extras/IME.

Even though it contains a lot of CGI, it also has live action in most shots, and they too will get even better with higher bitrates and they will be less compressed, and look better (depending on the screen size/viewing distance/display type etc.).

I don't know about the UK version of King Kong, but as far as your last comment: "will get even better with higher bitrates and they will be less compressed". While it certainly can't hurt, I dont know if I agree with this. There are plenty of Fox titles with 30+mbps average bit rate that aren't any sharper than 12mbps Warner titles.

Most of the best looking scenes in Lost are high teens, low 20s. Pirates of the Caribbean is similar too.. high teens, low 20s. These are about as sharp as they can get. Now, the fast-moving scenes are the ones where I believe the high bit-rate of blu-ray can help and King Kong and LOTR have plenty of those.

Now after saying all that.... watch me be hypocritical
The cool thing about 100GB disc is it can give us constant a constant 37-40 mbps giving us 8 leftover for audio and then we can steal 2-3 more from the video stream for 24 bit 96khz sound
That would rock.

On another note, the 100-200GB discs could give us entire seasons on 1 or 2 discs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'd like this for tv show sets. I do not think it is really needed for individual movie releases but I'm not a big bit monger who thinks higher bitrates are needed for top PQ. Tons of releases have proven this otherwise and instead of ignore this FACT, I put value in it to show higher bitrate isn't the be-all, end-all.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I like that they are trying to forge ahead, but don't forget the "implied" value studios put on multi-disc sets. they feel as though they can justifiably ask more for them. Also, while I am sure they will work in existing players I forsee a lot of playback hiccups and premature laser failures. This was my experience when dual layer DVDs came around. It took a new player for me to get by all the issues I was having, and I had to drop a $400 player less than 2 years after purchase.

I'd like to see it done for principal, but if it's just for cramming extras onto disc one save it. Give me a good ol' 2 disc set and call it a day.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
In regards to LOTR, having a film split onto two discs is not acceptable. Perhaps it was during LD times, but it's not now. Slighty lesser PQ or AQ is far less of a distraction than having to get up and change the discs mid-movie. That COMPLETELY destroys the movie experience IMO.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 /forum/post/14174849

In regards to LOTR, having a film split onto two discs is not acceptable. Perhaps it was during LD times, but it's not now. Slighty lesser PQ or AQ is far less of a distraction than having to get up and change the discs mid-movie. That COMPLETELY destroys the movie experience IMO.

While I generally agree with you, I don't mind it so much in the LOTR series, because by the time the break comes, my butt is sore and I need to whiz anyways....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts