AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I thought my first plasma purchase would be in the 50"-60" range to replace my Pioneer HD610 in the 'home theatre' room, but the 8 year old 32" Sony XBR in our Hearth room just expired; hence the above question.

Here's the requirements:

Wife 'prefers', (you all know what that means), Silver finish vs. generic Black/Grey.

I simply need an integrated 'TV' for this application, one with speakers, etc.

I am restricted to a maximum size of 37", (and even that might be pushing the limits in size for the wife).

Connections include Directv, (SD at the moment), playing thru' Replay TV, and Sony DVD (progressive scan) player.

I intend soon to upgrade this receiver to a Sony HD300, so as to pick up my local HDTV broadcasts, as well as have 480i output to the Replay.

I was all set to buy a Panasonic TH-37PA20UP, the little brother to the 42PA20UP, but every retailer is telling me it won't be in stock for 4-6 weeks and frankly I hate to wait that long.

Today I learned of the Hitachi 32HDT50, and like the look of it from the internet, but have not heard much of its performance. (I assume that the 32HDT20 was last years model, which was reported to have serious 'red push' issues). The Hitachi is more money, even though it's smaller; but it is supposedly a true HD plasma.

Can anyone offer advice/criticism of the above two plasmas?

Thanks for any help,

thebishman

·
Registered
754 Posts
being an owner of a Hitachi 42HDT20, I cannot in good conscience recommend a Hitachi panel for SD viewing. Mine is terrible for SD.

Watchable for DVD, but DirecTV just looks ridiculously bad.

That said, HD is simply wonderful on the Hitachi's.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thebishman
I was all set to buy a Panasonic TH-37PA20UP, the little brother to the 42PA20UP, but every retailer is telling me it won't be in stock for 4-6 weeks and frankly I hate to wait that long.
I was at Fry's Electronics in Manhattan Beach CA yesterday afternoon playing with the settings on the Panasonic TH-37PA20UP and TH-42PA20UP. The big one was playing Lord of the Rings on DVD and it looked better than the other Plasmas nearby playing the same thing, and the PQ even looked better than the 42" Sony WEGA that was right next to it.

The 37" was in another area playing some sitcom on HDNet, along with some other Plasmas playing the same thing. The Panny looked great here as well. Next to is was a new Mitsubishi LCD playing the same show and it would get blurry every time the camera panned then would come back into focus when the image stopped. The Panny blew it away, but i didn't try to fiddle with the Mitsu LCD's adjustments.

The funny thing is that their on-screen menu is *exactly* the same one as my new 32" direct view HD-ready TV so i was right at home fiddling with the colors and brightness and stuff. I amazed the salesmen at how i instantly figured out how to navigate all the menus :)

A quick google search reveals some online retailers now showing these as in stock and ready to ship for a few hundred less than MSRP. I have no need for a Plasma, but if i were to buy one it would be one of these :)

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
That's why I keep telling people that the smaller pixels on the Panasonic 37" ED makes a difference in PQ. Sitting at 6 feet or more from it the Picture will be just as good as any HD set. Plus the advantage of displaying regular TV better. :D :D :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought the Hitachi 42hdt50 and I am using comcast digital HDTV. I finally pulled the trigger, but I haven't seen many reviews. I was debating between this and panny, but my eyes kept telling me hitachi looked better. But then again, everybody eyes are different.

The SD picture looks fine too me(better than most plasma) and the HD picture is awesome. It comes with a built in screen saver that shifts pixels every 20 min.(Causes less burn in or no burn in, unless you really leave a static image for days) The old model sucked. Hitachi's black levels looks just fine too me. Black looks black not grey.

But if cost is an issue, stick with the panny, I went with hitachi, because at the price I got it for, it was a steal, plus it came with a 5 year extended warrenty for free. Its brand new.

If you are going to get a panny, get the HD version. Why spend 3,500 for a tv with no HD. Spend a few more bucks to get it. Watching channels at 1080i, is truly amazing.

I called Hitachi customer service and they said the TV has a life span of 30,000 hrs till half brightness and that is leaving contrast and brightness at standard out of the box settings.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the replys so far guys.

I'm inclined to look more closely for the Panny 37" at the moment.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here is one more advice, buy it at circuit city(or somewhere else with great return policy) test it for a few days and return it, if it is no good. Once your TV gets home, everything changes, because you are no longer comaparing it to 50 other TV's, plus everybody sets there tv up different, different wires, connections, stuff like that. I have seen some panny plasma look like crap at my friends house, because he hooked everything up with 5 dollar cables(example)

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by smapor
If you are going to get a panny, get the HD version. Why spend 3,500 for a tv with no HD. Spend a few more bucks to get it. Watching channels at 1080i, is truly amazing.
smapor,

I got the point but the HD TH-42PX20U will cost $2500 more than the TH-37PA20U and $2000 more than the TH-42PA20U.

TH-37PA20U MSRP = $4000

TH-42PA20U MSRP = $4500

TH-42PX20U MSRP = $6500

The differences between street prices will be lower but still high for those in budget.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Glauco BruZZi,

You are right about the price, but there are few things he could do, like

taking advantage of those 18 months no interest. By doing that your monthly payments for the tv on 6500 is about $360(or you can pay 100 a month and then pay the remaining balance at the end). I am pretty sure you can find a better price than $6500. My Hitachi 42hdt50 was $5,000 with 5 year warrenty.

There are many options(Plasma), he could go with other brands to get great picture with HD. He doesn't have to get the best TV for SD quality pictures. He could go with an excellent to great SD quality with HD.

Then again, who knows, in a few years, something new will come along.

The best thing is to buy and try, don't like, return.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.