AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THIS DTV HAS AN ALWAYS ON LINE DOUBLER THAT CANT BE DISABLED. CAN I USE A PROGRESSIVE SCAN DVD AND WILL IT BYPASS ONBOARD DOUBLER

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Please stop typing in all caps, it is the equivalent of shouting, thanks.

If you go into the progressive scan component video input on the Hitachi, with a progressive scan DVD, the internal line doubler should not be in effect.

According to the Hitachi web site, the Flex Convertor line doubler is "Full Time Progressive Scan 480p", which should mean an external 480p source would bypass the Flex Convertor, but 480i and analog TV would be upconverted to 480p.
http://www.hitachi.com/products/cons...Z5BAPIIAC.html

In almost all cases, a progressive scan DVD source into a EDTV/HDTV will outperform a 480i upconversion to 480p by an EDTV/HDTV set or other outboard line doubler.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
As an owner of a Hitachi 36SDX01S, I can confirm that the internal line doubler does not affect 480p progressive scan input via the wideband component input. Also, the 2 RGB/SVGA inputs are independent of the line doubler.

I have a Toshiba SD-5109 progressive scan DVD player (not the best, not the newest, but not so bad) that provides beautiful movie viewing as long as the source is enhanced for widescreen (anamorphic) and the TV component inputs and DVD player are both set for 16:9 aspect ratio. "Stairstepping" on diagonal lines goes away in this mode with its obviously improved vertical resolution.

I also have an RCA DTC-100 HD/OTA/DirecTV STB. Using its VGA connection to the Hitachi TV gives beautiful resolution, even better than the DVDs. Of course, the Hitachi 36SDX01S, like other direct view monitors, has a physical limitation on horizontal resolution (in my case, 0.78dpi). But, from a normal viewing distance, what you see is an exceptionally sharp picture with very pure color in the RGB and component video modes.

We also have DirecTiVo receivers, on which we sometimes record DirecTV PPV movies. These receivers only output in S-video, composite and RF. Even with the S-video connection, these movies are still very good viewing, partly because the DirecTV video compression on PPV is much better than their regular channels. And, the Dolby Digital 5.1 audio records and plays back just fine (an argument for the audio being a major part of the viewing and listening experience). Since we cannot get any reasonably priced means of recording HD programs, this is our best available option (for movies). IMHO, the line doubler does not hurt this viewing mode. If we were watching a 36" TV without line doubling, the scan lines would be very visible and far less desirable than any issues with line doubling.

These are my opinions. I am completely satisfied with the picture quality and flexibility I have with this set.

Dave

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
And as a third owner on this forum to have the 36SDX01S, I am inbetween Kenland and Budget_HT. I think the clarity and lack of "shimmering" is great with the internal line-doubler on the Hitachi. However, I can't help but to notice the jagged lines on diagonals.

Robert

·
Registered
3,679 Posts

Don't let questions about the line doubler steer you away from this set. We're here for HDTV right? Well you're going to get very close to the best HD picture there is in a direct view.

The Hitachi and RCA tubes are of finer aperture grill pitch and so the image is much more realistic than say any Sony or Panasonic or Toshiba. Not to knock these as they are great too, but the Hitachi and RCA tubes are much more like a computer monitor screen that is just image. (not pixels outlined in black metal)

I can sit on the floor 5 feet away and no grill lines interfere with the beautiful HD pictures coming out of my DTC100 or HTPC. Or, I can sit 15" away and still see the detail.

And the line doubler is probably neutral to a win compared to no line doubler. It works pretty well on anything animated.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Hey Ken,

My view on the line doubler is it is better than nothing, and useable until I get an iscan Pro. As long as the Iscan can work with the VGA input on the back, I can use it for my interlaced DVD player, VCR and use the VCR for my cableTV. All will get converted via the Iscan.

But for now, the internal doubler is okay, but not great. It surely is a very versatile set. I don't think I lost anything buying it over the RCA MM36110, since both sets can have the line doubler bypassed by just using the correct input.

Robert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.