AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Anyone want to help me decide between these two? I've narrowed it down based on my auditions with XBR's, Tau's, and many other HD ready direct views.

Actually I auditioned the RCA MM3110 but it won't fit in my cabinet so I'm going to assume the 3100 and the Hitachi give a similarly lifelike picture. Anyone care to confirm/refute this?

It looks like Sony is setting the design trend with wider and wider bezels and so I have to go back a season to get a monitor style TV.

Anyway the Hitachi looks much better on paper with its fast cable tuner and supposedly high quality line doubler. It also does the squeeze with ease compared to the RCA.

The RCA with an Iscan Pro would do better on DVD but since I plan on getting the Kenwood Faroudja/Sage DVD changer it will be a non issue soon.

Should I order the Hitachi or am I missing some critical information someone will share?

BTW, my non DVD source will be HD over Time Warner here in Houston/Sugar Land. My analog signal from them is superb. (after some persistence http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif )

TIA!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
The RCA MM36100 will only accept HD via one of it's VGA inputs. You need to check the Time Warner HD cable box to see if it outputs RGBHV. Also the RCA's component input will not accept a progressive signal. I don't much about the Hitachi. Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for the info. I've pretty much decided on the Hitachi based on other threads in this forum. (thanks Budget_HT!)

I'm also going to get a Philips Priority 5yr extended warranty for about $170. (in case someone knows a cheaper source)

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
jerndl says:
Quote:
The RCA MM36100 will only accept HD via one of it's VGA inputs. You need to check the Time Warner HD cable box to see if it outputs RGBHV. Also the RCA's component input will not accept a progressive signal. I don't much about the Hitachi. Good luck.
I wonder why that is. The MM52100 doesn't have that problem. Why just the 36" model? Odd.

------------------

Michael Mullis

Director of US Operations

Next Level Gaming
http://www.nlgaming.com

·
Registered
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Mullis:
jerndl says:

I wonder why that is. The MM52100 doesn't have that problem. Why just the 36" model? Odd.

The 36100 and 32100 are year 1999 models. The 36110 and 32110 (year 2000 models) accept progressive and HDTV signals through their component inputs.

Peter

·
Registered
68 Posts

I've had the Hitachi for about a year now. It's a great TV. I use it for watching progressive DVD and for HDTV. It simply looks great. At the time, it was the hands down winner compared to the RCA. The RCA was about $2500, the Hitachi was $999. I haven't regretted buying it for a second.

David

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

dyip,

Thanks for the input! I wish I could get the Hitachi for $999 today. The cheapest I can find is $1399 with $2000 being 2nd place. Where did you get yours?

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you haven't bought yet wait...RCA is about to release another HILINE brand to replace Proscan. This will include another 36" TV. Not sure about prices or spec, but the set will probably be a Super Flat Type???

By the way Hitachi and RCA (and Loewe for that matter) all share various picture tubes, etc... So the diffference that you saw between the earlier mentioned Hitachi and RCA may have been because of their calibrations (or lack there of...)

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
RCA's new models are under the Scenium series, and they do indeed have two 4:3 direct view sets coming, a 36" that lists for $1999 and 32" at $1499. The are called TruFlat, and offer 800x1080i resolution.

The dimensions are 27 1/16(H)x36 7/8(W)x22(D) for the D32TF20, 29 3/4(H)x40 11/5(W)x23 7/8(D) for D36TF20.

Kei Clark

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dyip: Is the component input RCA or BNC?

Kei & video joe: The super flats always have the super wide bezels and so won't fit in my cabinet.

video joe: I'm sure hoping the differences are small to none. I'm buying based on seeing an RCA MM36110 and the word of dyip and budget_HT that the Hitachi version is even better.

The Perfect Vision has an HDTV guide in the latest issue and the Hitachi has every important feature. (according to them)

Great picture, great features, ok price - the only thing I'm likely to miss is Firewire or DVI input. But I don't think this will be an issue for several years, and I believe someone will make a high quality adapter. (and hopefully I'll get a windfall and have my 50" Panasonic Plasma by then)

I was concerned that the Hitachi wont do 1024x768, but after the TPV review of the Princeton Graphics new 3.6HD said this res was washed out, I not concerned.

·
Registered
68 Posts

The component input is RCA. I bought it from Amazon.com of all places. I'd definitely get it now if Hitachi is replacing it with a non-VGA model. In my opinion, that would greatly reduce it's versatility.

David

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thanks guys! I placed the order yesterday I'll have it a week from Saturday. I also got a Silver Serpent component cable from Better Cables.

Kei, the Hitachi has true 800x1080i resolution.

dyip, that's funny because I remember (a long time ago now) when someone posted about that $999 special. By the time I read it and got to Amazon.com they were gone http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Didn't know this was the same set, but suspected it when you said $999.

Ken

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
KenLand,

Better hurry on this purchase. Hitachi is discontinuing this model for a non-VGA version.

Kei Clark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.