AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 43in Hitachi widescreen (43uwx10b) and noticed major problems with what I call "linearity." (ie., how straight are the horizontal and vertical lines across the screen). Horizontally, they all seemed to slope downward from right to left. I called the local tech guy and he came out to correct the problem, from within the service panel.

He eventually got it so that the outermost lines framing the image were perfectly straight, vert & horiz. But, all remaining lines inside the bottom half of the frame, going upward from the bottom edge, continue their slope while those near the top half seem OK. He indicated all displays of similar type have these problems, that mine is better than most he's seen, and if you adjust some lines perfectly others will not "go the other way..you cannot adjust each individual line." IOW, that's as good a pix as I should expect.

So...I now watch a DVD or sat signal and everything's fine until some horizontal aspect is shown on the screen (either a graphic or some other video) and the set screams "SLANT!" as the lines converge toward and away from each other up and down the display.

Is there nothing else that can be done to have *all* lines (vert and horz) straight?? Is this the state of affairs for these types of displays? I tried looking up an ISF-listed tech business in the area for support but the only one in the county does calibration as a package with their new installations only -- not for existing systems. The nearest other ISF guy is 75 miles away and he told me I'm not in his service area.

Appreciate your thoughts and recommendations...

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Sounds like your tech was not one of the better ones. This can be corrected. However, I have no idea of the difficulty of this on a Hitachi set. You may try to exchange the set. The linearity on most Hitachis are generally very good out of the box (I wish I could say the same for convergence and Magic Focus).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.