AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hitachi 43UWX10B with a Toshiba DST 3000, question is how do i get the PIP to work? When I bring up the PIP I can only get the split screen with the same channel on both. How can I at least get two different stations?

I have the Toshiba connected via component cables, receiving Direct TV and also have Cable connected for local channels.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
PIP needs two signal sources. The DST3000 is only a single signal source - even though you have multiple sources to your DST3000 it sends only one video signal to your tv. You would need, say, an antenna input as your second source, or a cable box.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK so what am I not understanding here?

When I was connected to Cable only (no box or Direct TV) I could get PIP with the different channels (one input...Cable) but with the box connected I cannot.

Is there a fix for this so I can get PIP with the Toshiba box?

sorry to be a pain, just not understanding this....

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
OK. I don't know which type of cable box you are using or exactly what connectors and functions your TV has but in general this is what is going on. With cable you were sending all the channels to the TV as an RF signal and then using the tuner in your TV set so select which channel was displayed, so using two tuners (which is basically how PIP works) you could select any station for your PIP. Now you are using the DST3000 to select which channel is displayed and with component inputs the tv is only receiving one signal - this is a video signal for a single TV station, so PIP won't work. The TV does not know there are other channels because the DST3000 is doing the channel selection. On my Toshiba, you can't even select PIP if the TV is set to HDTV. Apparently yours will select it, but of course there is only one channel. Assuming your tv can in fact do PIP at all when displaying HD, you can try this. Split the signal coming from your cable, send one of the outputs to the DST3000 and the other to the TV antenna/cable input (not sure exactly what your tv has, but you need the connector you would normally connect cable to) and you will possibly get PIP - one picture will be whatever is coming from the DST3000 and the other will be whatever channel is selected on the TV from the cable system.

Tell me if this works - as I said I do not know your particular tv. Also it's possible the cable signal may not be strong enough to be split in which case you will need an amplifier - but try the splitter first, they are only a few dollars from radioshack.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Further update! I think you are out of luck. If you are using the component video inputs then PIP will probably only work if the signal is 480i (and even then only with limited functionality) and only if you split the cable signal as I described. If the signal is 1080i (HDTV, or upconverted by the DST3000) then PIP can't be made to work. If you look at your user manual you should see some cryptic reference to PIP only working with component input if the signal is 480i.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I split off of the Cable input as you suggested and connected it to "ANT A" on the back of the TV. This seems to have done the trick. I can get the PIP but the modes are a bit limited. It does work though and I appreciate you explaining it to me.

Thanks Much

Mark

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Pleased I could help. Do I assume you are using a 480i input then (i.e. not HDTV) or are you somehow getting PIP with 1080i??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can get PIP with 1080i on one channel (HD) and the other is from the Cable input.

Got to have NASCAR and Hockey on the same screen... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.