Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just came across this awesome forum looking for some info on my new Hitachi 46F500. I have read the Hitachi Tweaks article but can't seem to find what I am looking for.

Here's the issue...

I have cable (standard coax) and am sort of concerned about the quality of the picture.

Everything looks a little bit fuzzy but the biggest concern I have is that whenever there is movement on the screen, it looks like, well, have you ever seen a scratched DVD try to play, or maybe a satellite picture during a storm, yet not that extreme.

I have done the Auto-Convergence and am working on the manual as soon as I finish this message.

It's not horrible, but definitely noticible.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, which setup DVD is the best for calibration?

Thanks!

Allen

·
Registered
757 Posts
hmm, gets worse with movements? i'm not familiar with that. standard cable will be fuzzy on a rptv. are you looping through a vcr? if so, try going straight into the tv.

avia is a solid setup cd.

also, i found a lot of hitachi users on ***************.com

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
I see this on highly compressed MPEG stuff on Dish. It is very rare, but I see it on one particular superstation and Friends reruns. Is your cable digital or analog? You may want to try running the cable through a VCR and come into the set composite or S-video.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have issues with the picture quality on my 46F500 Hitachi. I have the biggest issues when watching sports because of the movement the pixilation is just bad. I purchased the set from Sears and I was told by them that unless I'm receiving a HD signal I will be disappointed with the picture because of the number of lines and resolution the set in essence is trying to "fill in the picture" causing the pixelation on the movement. The overall quality of the picture is much less than my other old regular TVs in both 16:9 and 4:3 modes.

I'm currently a DirectTV subscriber and receive my signal through their RCA receiver. I purchased component video but noticed no distinguishable change in the picture quality. They offer an HD dish and HD receiver but they could not tell me if this would increase the quality of the other non HD channels as well. The HD football and HBO does appeal to me but not if it won't help my other channels. I am more interested in watching the network and cable channels as opposed to DVDs or HD channels.

I have not tried any of the manual tweaks listed here yet. My question is will this even make much difference? For what I'm looking for will I always be disappointed in all RP HDTvS? I was limited by size and cost and am not looking to upgrade. I'm to the point of considering returning the TV to Sears as I almost prefer to watch my old 32 inch TV. I know that Hitachi seems to be a good TV, but are all the stores fooling the uninformed consumer like me by running HD demos on all their models? Any help or advice??

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
A Zenith/LG or Sony HDTV DirecTV receiver will greatly increase the quality of your DirecTV, cable, and analog OTA feeds.

I have Dish Network and replaced my Dish 4900 SDTV reciever with Dish 6000 HDTV receiver and I no longer see the problem (I discovered it occured on KTLA-5, most apparent during Friend's reruns). I will connect the S-video and composite on my Dish 6000 to see if my Hitachi still gets choked up on this channel. I never tested with the Dish 4900, but I suspect the problem would have gone away with S-video (I was running through a VCR).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.