AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitachi 50V500 may have green tint in dark scenes.

663 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Amazingly Smooth 
#1 ·
Most of you know I have been leading the charge on tweaking the 50V LCD.

Last night I experienced an awful picture problem with my 50V. I was watching the Matrix and some scenes and skin tones had a green tint that I could not adjust out of the picture without throwing the whole unit out of whack. :mad:

I have watched AOTC and LOTR TT and have not noticed any tint problems on dark films.

After calibrating with DVE and it's filters my results were that my tv has a sever green push that I could not adjust. Is this something that ISF calibration gets rid of? Red and blue looked like they were right in line.

It makes me mad that we have to pay to get rid of the problem the manufacture purposely put it in. Green push is for sports fans to have a pretty field. :rolleyes:

Is anyone else experiencing this green skin tone on the Matrix or any other dark movie? It may be a deal breaker for me if I can't adjust it out. I have 10 days left on my return.

Everything else has worked wonderfully on this set, but I can't stand to watch my characters look like aliens.

:mad:

See less See more
#2 ·
Shark,

Have only seen what you describe a couple of times. Most recently watching Daredevil. There is a couple of scenes with Kingpin and he had a green tint. He did not look like an alien tho. He looked more like he had been dipped in pickle juice.

#5 ·
I, too, notice a green tint, but typically I see it only on black facial hair or within a head of brown hair. I never noticed it on HD, but it seems like it is there with DVD and SD. I think turning down the sharpness and color helps. Seems like the sharpness feature simply predistorts the image by generating more "contrast" at color boundaries. You can really see the sharpness effect on screen text.

I have also seen a green shift on the Samsung DLP sets. Because of this I wondered if it had to do with the content, but I'm not so sure anymore. It could be an artifact of the MPEG encoding process that is only visible with sharp sets that are somewhat oversampled in their display (e.g. 480 shown on a 720 display).

Anyone know?

Cheers

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jefferson Morris
Yes, all the scenes set inside the matrix itself were deliberately given a subtle green tint. However, the scenes in the "real" world of Morpheus' ship have a more natural look. If the stuff on the ship still looks green, then you may have a problem.

--Jefferson Morris
WOW,

If this tv is able to show the subtle green tint from life in the "Matrix" opposed to no tint outside the "Matrix" this thing is amazing!!! :D

I will watch the whole movie and look for the differences. The green tint never hit me as hard as it did last night. :eek:

It looks like the 50V is a keeper then unless the 50VX500 is that much better. Anybody know yet? I would hate to miss newer technology by 40 days. Especially since it is the same manufacturer!!! :(

Thanks for all the input, I was definitely getting ready to pack it up. Silly me, I should have known Mfusick was lying. ;) :p

#9 ·
Anyone know if there is a superbit DVD of the Matrix? Now that I have this set, I can really see the imperfections in the transfer. Incidentally, on mine, I only see the green tint in the appropriate scenes (while they are in the Matrix). I haven't noticed it elsewhere. Black enhancement is somewhat annoying with this movie, since I get a lot of noticeable 'black shifting' (for lack of a better term) in the predominantly dark scenes.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mayor McCheese
Was the tint present regardless of the setting of the black enhancement?
When I noticed the green tint in the Matrix scenes I was not using Black Enhancement. I did try using it but that only enhances the blacks which are not a problem for me. The green tint I saw was very visible in the flesh tones and on some backgrounds.

I read a review once that said Blade II was the ultimate test for dark scenes so I am going to try that tonight and report back. As it stands now it appears it is just the movie that is causing this effect. Thank Goodness!!! :D

#11 ·
I still believe there is something going on with the MPEG encoding. Dish Network (all MPEG) showed this problem much more often than does my current provider. In fact, I had forgotten about it since the switch...

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.