Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about something..

How many people bought the 50v500 and have been perfectly satisfied, with NO problems, from day 1? And how long have you had the TV?

And I mean NO problems.

-matt

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am. I've had the TV for about 3 months now, and haven't had any problems at all. My only grip is with the grey side bars and not being able to switch them to black permanently.

Great TV IMO.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've had mine for about 3 weeks and have no technical problems.

My only complaint is the lack of detail in dark backgrounds, and an unnatural look to shadows. I've been told that it's probably just my settings, but I've played with it for hours without really making it better. If I could find settings that made dark backgrounds and shadows look right, I'd be 100% satisfied.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've had my 60V for about 3 weeks now and have no technical problems to speak of.

I have connected my PC, my DirecTIVO, a hi-def DTV tuner, and my DVD player to it. I'm definitely particular about picture quality and after tweaking with each input to my liking, I'm very satisfied with the PQ.

Could the black levels and detail in shadows be better? Sure. But these are limitations inherent to the technology that can be seen across offerings from each of the manufacturers that has an LCD RPTV on the market right now.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have had my 50v500 for about 3 months. I have not experienced any technical issues-- Even the new report of a loud fan. I haven't looked for any stuck pixels except from my sofa. I can't see any.

After the initial 'wow' period, I have begun to look at the set with more vigor. I notice a little SDE on white scenes/fields in HD. Not a big deal. I don't really notice it unless I look for it. Incidentally, I have 20/15 vision and am watching from about 8 feet. A little too close, IMO.

I am 'satisfied' that I got the 'best' TV for me at a great price, given the crop of TVs out right now. I love my set. I don't think I will ever be 'perfectly satisfied' with all of the evolving technologies. However, I feel this set will keep me happy for the next 3-5 years, barring any technological blow-ups. But, I do have an EW.

Dutch

·
Registered
68 Posts
True.. any big-screen that's out has its limitations. the dlp's cost more, and to me, they don't look as clear and sharp. If I was to return this tv, I think I'd go for a crt rp to get the black levels, but I'm afraid I'd miss the sharpness and clarity of the picture on this tv.

I would just suggest to anyone thinking about buying it, to take a good look at shadows on the picture. the store I bought it from was playing Monsters Inc, which looks stunning. But get them to put on a darker movie, like underworld. if the shadows don't bother you, then this is the tv for you.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a 60v500 and have had absolutely no problems (other than my screwups) with this set. My only complaints are, the conversion on all inputs(mainly DVI) and the native resolution which is specified incorrectly on their website.

I have had my set for about 2-3 months.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffro_DLP
I have a 60v500 and have had absolutely no problems (other than my screwups) with this set. My only complaints are, the conversion on all inputs(mainly DVI) and the native resolution which is specified incorrectly on their website.

Can you explain what you mean about the conversion on all inputs and what you don't like about it?

Also, another complaint.. some ps2 games that have fast moving small details don't work very well with this tv.

·
Registered
11 Posts
mattysan,

I recently purchased my 50V500 (about a week) from the local Sears Outlet store and the first one I purchased had the crop circle issue, which I quickly returned for another and have had no problems since then. I sorta expected issues buying through the outlet store which is why I purchased the EW. If something happens with this one, I would return it for another 50V500 because this TV is awesome in everyway. I'm no videophile but am a little picky about many things instead of really picky about a few things.

The fact that this technology is evolving, things will happen but the percentage of "happy" people far outweighs those that are unhappy. I feel (which many on this forum also believe), that the benefits you gain from this TV far outweigh the risks, which is why many have exchanged a problem child for the exact same one. I've read on this forum, and I apologize for not knowing his/her name, who is on their 5th 50V500 due to issues. Now some of these issues wouldn't bother some people while for others it will. Being able to enjoy the TV to it's fullest is especially enhanced with the peace of mind gained from some type of extended warranty, which I highly recommend.

A lot of satisfaction depends upon the individual also. If I were to come across someone who is thinking about buying this TV, I would do my best to talk them into making the plunge because in my eyes, you can't go wrong buying the 50V500.

:p :p

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm very happy with my 50V500.

I had the set for almost four weeks. Before that I had

spent about four years researching HDTV sets; I'm glad

now that I waited, the current generation of HD sets seem

to have gotten to the point where the major issues have

been dealt with.

The Hitachi's peformance with analog cable was a real

surprise; I had expected to be disapointed with the PQ

but the Hitachi does a great job of making it watchable,

especially movies.

Some things I learned that have helped:

1. Bypass your Digital Cable box when watching SD material.

An old-fashioned analog cable connection produces a

sharper picture. The exception to this is the premium

channels from the digital cable box, for which you need

to go through the box. Have the cable guy install a "picture

in picture" bypass for you, connected to antenna input A.

That will let you get the cable signal both ways.

2. Use a DVI-output DVD player. I got the Bravo D1, which looks

great connected to the Hitachi.

3. Get a source for HD programming. Only with HD are you using

the full potential of the set. Currently I'm getting five HD channels

from Adelphia, plus I purchased a DVHS deck since this is currently

the only way to play back prerecorded HD content. In the future

there will be Hi-Def DVDs, but the current estimates I have read

indicate that this will not really arrive for at least another year,

possibly two.

4. Adjust the settings. Out of the box, both brightness and contrast

were way off, at least to my taste. Also from this forum I learned

about turning down "black/contrast enhancement" to stop the flicker

problem this feature can sometimes cause.

No set is perfect and the Hitachi does have a couple of limitations that

I have found so far. One is that there are only two component inputs,

and if you are using DVI then only one component input is still usable -

I'm going to have to buy a component switch to hook-up everything

I have. The second limitation I found is that the photo card reader

apparently does not support the new FAT32 format. It seems that

photos need to be recorded on a FAT16 formatted card.

Despite the minor limitations it has, I highly recommend this set.

I think it's the best performing set in it's price range; the only thing

that would be clearly superior would be a true 1080p display device,

but the few 1080p devices currently available are not exactly

affordable.

MikeGT.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I have no issues with my 60V500 (unless you count having dead/stuck pixels "issues", which I don't as they don't affect my viewing in the slightest). I love my tv and would buy it again tomorrow if I had to do it all over again. I only wish it were bigger.

Oh yeah, I got it in sept or oct- can't remember which and too lazy to dig out my receipt :p.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
mikegt,

if you need help using 3 inputs that are dvi plus 2 component then pm me and i will tell you how. there is a way and it aint that complicated.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I was one of the first 50 owners. Got mine when they first came out. I have over 1000 hours now on my set and other than some funky pixels that are not viewable from more than 3 or 4 ft my set is freekin perfect.

I have tweaked my set to where the colors are real and the black levels are acceptable in 98% of the cases. Sure, there is a bit of sde at times but not a show stopper. I paid $1000 less than the best deal that I could make on the Sammy DLP 50 which was my top choice. EOD

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
And another thing: I have many friends. Most have rear pro crts. A couple have plasmas. So freekin what. I judge my set on acceptance. My Hitachi gets an approval rating of 100%. Every single person who has entered my house has been awestruck. They are like : What did u pay for this? When I tell them they just stand and stare. It is them, their spouses and their kiddos. Why can't our tv look like that daddy?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I must have just received a bad set. My crop circle problem kept multiplying, then my tv went kaput. I am waiting for Sears to replace the set, which they have kindly agreed to do. They were going to replace the light engine, but I kept getting my appt rescheduled. Been waiting since Nov 11.

I asked because I was curious as to how many people had the set for a long period of time (4+ months) without any technical problems.

I agree: I love the set. I think it's fantastic, but I had some tech. problems that made me frustrated. Hopefully my new set will be problem free (not counting dead pixels).

I was mostly interested to hear from Ahardt and Manpig, since I know you guys have had the set for quite awhile. You guys must live in a warm/dry place.

Thanks everyone!

-matt

·
Registered
361 Posts
It's nice to hear from some people that have had, or currently have, 0 problems with their set. I'm hoping that since my TV is still on backorder and hasn't been built by Hitachi yet that maybe this next crop they send out will have a lot of the current issues fixed completely....I can only hope I suppose, but regardless, ANYTHING is better than the 19" I'm using right now while waiting :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm in the market to buy a TV, I don't know which one to purchase between the sony kf-50we610 (which I keep seeing negative reviews) or the hitachi 50v500 , any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stewdawg
I'm in the market to buy a TV, I don't know which one to purchase between the sony kf-50we610 (which I keep seeing negative reviews) or the hitachi 50v500 , any suggestions?
I think your answer is in your post. Re-read what you said 10x's and it will come to you. It came to me immediately.:D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by manpig
I think your answer is in your post. Re-read what you said 10x's and it will come to you. It came to me immediately.:D
ManPig, you're just so eloquent and concise.

Ditto on the answer to the above.

I've had my 60 for about a month. Happy as can be. No problems at all.

==Fax

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.