AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. from the advice of some members on this board i just purchased a hitachi 50v500A from sears. so the 1st thing i checked out was the dvd. i have a toshiba sd2200. it's old but i plan on getting a new player soon. anyway, i hook up the dvd and put a movie in..and the video looks like crap. it's not even regular tv quality. it's watchable but a little fuzzy and pixelated looking. what really makes me mad is that the dvd picture looked awesome on my little 20 inch panasonic, a regular 4:3 tv. the picture with the hitachi just doesnt have that clear and brilliant look to it. now i thought it was maybe because i was using regular hookups..the red white and yellow ones. but i tried the green, blue and red ones and the pic still looks bad. and its not just the dvd..its the cable too. the picture looks the same. i thought maybe it was because i was only about 10 ft away. so i backed up to around 20 feet and still looks bad. does the picture always look like this out of the box? do i have to do some major configurations? i'm not tech savy at all. i paid a lot of money for this tv and i dont know if i didnt set it up right or if i should call hitachi and get someone to look at it. please help me out.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Quality cables make a difference, and did you play with the color, contrast, sharpness, auto color? Also I do not think the SD2200 was progressive scan....and whether the tv has a "Scaler" in it or not I still prefer Progressive Scan DVD playback.

Try these....Color 50 or less, Contrast should be 50 or less but on LCD's I like it a little higher... Sharpness about midway....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally posted by RSlamD
Quality cables make a difference, and did you play with the color, contrast, sharpness, auto color? Also I do not think the SD2200 was progressive scan....and whether the tv has a "Scaler" in it or not I still prefer Progressive Scan DVD playback.

Try these....Color 50 or less, Contrast should be 50 or less but on LCD's I like it a little higher... Sharpness about midway....
hi and thanks for responding. i did adjust the color, shaprness, etc...as per another board members advice. maybe i was expecting too much from the set i dont know, but my 20 inch tv is clearer than this. i played around with all the settings but nothing takes away that pixelated look. no the sd2200 does not have prog scan. do you think this is why it looks so bad?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
you should not even try to compare pq of a 20 inch set to a 50 inch set. it just ain't fair. 10 feet should be more than fine for a 50. you said that dvd and cable look the same which leads me to believe you have something messed up. please go to the Hitachi LCD Main thread and start asking questions. The hithos will help you thru this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought the Hitachi 50in 10 days ago and the picture is incredible on an old Sony DVD player without progressive mode.

I would think either your cables are bad or your player is still on 4:3.

Have you set it to 16:9 on your DVD player itself as well?

My little 20inch Sony tv does not even come close in picture quality. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Man-E-Toys
..and the video looks like crap. it's not even regular tv quality. it's watchable but a little fuzzy and pixelated looking...

...the picture with the hitachi just doesnt have that clear and brilliant look to it...

...does the picture always look like this out of the box?...
I also have the 50V500 and ran a Tosh 1600 into it. It looked great. My viewing distance is 8-9"

I am a bit confused by your description of the problem. By pixelated, do you mean that edges of images on the screen have perfectly square blocks on them? By fuzzy, do you mean like an old RCA with a coat hanger and aluminum foil for an antenna?

Both of these make me think that it is your connection. I looked for your manual (SD2200) online, but could not get it. I believe Tosh calls their component output "colorstream" (YPbPr). These are the ones that you want to use. It sounds like you are using the composite wires (Vid, Left, Right). Are the connectors yellow, red, and white? I am not sure that these will work, or at least will not work well.

I would recommend that you head down to Best Buy, Circuit City, Radio Shack, whatever and pick up a set of COMPONENT cables. You don't need to spend a fortune. I got a set at Rat Shack for $30 for my DVD-- works fine. I use the ones that came with my STB for Cable-- works fine.

Make sure that you hook the "colorstream" output on your DVD to the component inputs (YPbPr) on your TV. Of course, you want to match the colors and seat them well.

It sounds like you are using the TV for sound. Use the COMPOSITE cable that you have to run the Yellow analog sound from your DVD to the TV. (Only the yellow wire, let the red and white ones hang down.)

I hope that helps.

Dutch

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now this goes to show how I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to electonics. Froom the advice of another member, I switched my dvd from 4:30 to 16:9. I would have never even thought of that, so thank you. Ok so now my dvd looks good. I still want to get a better player though. I'd like to take advantage of the dvi. From what I hear, it puts out a really good picture. Ok, back to my regular tv watching. I have a viewing distance of 11 ft & the picture is not crystal clear as I thought it would be. I have time warner cable with an hdtv box. The hdtv channels look pretty good, but regular channels have a softness/fuzziness to them. Any more suggestions?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.