AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally posted in the What's up with Hitachi thread.

I thought I'd start a thread as well. Need all the help I can get.

Thanks to briankmonkey for welcome, as well as some spec info.

So I was wondering what was up with Hitachi as well.

I have been considering a Hitachi 50" HDTV (50VF820). Actually it's the Hitachi 50VG825, I just looked at the slip of paper that the salesman gave me.

This after doing some online research and heavily considering a Samsung HL-R5067W DLP TV.

I'm in Seattle and Video Only has the 2 sets side by side.

I am a complete neophyte in this realm of HD.

I thought the Hitachi looked considerably better, and for a minimal amount more offered more bells and whistles.

I also enjoyed the black finish to the housing more, and the fact that the speakers on the side gave the optical illusion that the Hitachi was bigger. These are just aesthetics, but kinda cool.

While trying to dig up info here on the Hitachi, I was dismayed to find nothing about it. Tons on the Sammie. Am I in the wrong area of the forum? Or is the Hitachi 50VF825 just not well received?

I am planning to purchase my TV before Superbowl Sunday. I can find them for around $2000-2200 in the area. Any help you guys can throw my way will be extremely appreciated.

I really was a little deflated not to see any props on this forum to the Hitachi, at least none that I could find.

Also, I have seen a couple of replies to newbs that suggest getting your set professionally calibrated. This from the dealer? Or is this a cottage industry? And how much does a professional calibration usually run you?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah. You won't find too much on here about hitachi's.

I don't know too much about this years models but I bought a 50 inch Hitachi LCD RPTV last year and its been pretty good. Its the 50VS810 and I'd say its basically what you are looking at. I went off of CNET, Consumer Reports and Sound & Vision magazine and all had pretty good things to say about that TV. And after looking at it in the stores it seemed to look pretty good.

So far, I have no complaints. The Hitachi seems to have quite a few features and the picture and sound are really good in High Def.

I was originally looking at the Samsung DLP but with all the talk of Audio Lag and Rainbows, I decided on the Hitachi.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks greg.

I feel I will be happy with this set. I'd still find it very interesting and discomforting that there is not much to be said about Hitachis on this site.

Is that because they suck? I would at least think someone would come on here and say that, or something. All this cricket chirping is making me nervous.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recently bought a Hitachi 50VF820 and also don't see much in the way of user feedback on the set. I really like mine. The only issue I have is slight pincushioning that's more apparent in the lower left/right corners than elsewhere on the screen. I've visited a few CircuitCity stores to see their display models and they all exhibit the same thing so I'm ok with it. It's mainly noticeable when watching SD w/ the side bars (I don't like to use the 4:3 expanded/zoom modes), but I don't watch too much SD anymore.

I too was considering the 46-60" Samsung DLP sets, but my wife watches a bunch of channels that aren't offered in HD, and the DLP sets seemed to display slightly fuzzier pictures than the LCD rp sets I looked at (the Hitachi and the Sony KDFE50A10).

Hopefully the supposedly revised LE in the newer Hitachi sets holds up better than the ones that the 50V500 owners have been having so many problems with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks serx7.

Do either you or greg97ut game on these bad boys?

XBox? XBox 360?

Do you use a media PC? What type of audio system are you using to accompany your Hitachis?

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I do have an Xbox hooked up with the HD cables.

It looks pretty good and I haven't noticed any problems with lag or anything.

I don't game too often but when I do, I think it looks and works great. Played mostly GTA San Andreas and Madden 2006 and Tiger Woods 2005. No complaints.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Wow...a Hitachi Thread!=)

I am thinking of getting the 50VG825, the only issue I have is how good it will look after it has about 3500 plus hours on it. The reason I bring this up is last years series the v715 (but never saw it on the VS810) would start to loose color on the top and bottom of there screens.

I work for a retailer that sold these models and over months of them being on you could see the break down of the LCD panels. I was told by a Sony rep. it was because they used a Organic based LCD. Any help here?

As for picture quality the new VG825 is a much better picture VS810. The only thing I wish they would have had is the screen shield on the VG825 series. It helped a lot with brightness and minimized screen door effect on the VS810.

If I don't end up with the 50VG825 I will get the 37HDL52.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Phatpay: I don't game on my TV but one of the CircuitCity stores near where I work has their 50VF820 set up specifically to showcase the XBox 360 (they don't even have it hooked up to the video feed that the other TVs in the showroom are hooked up on. It seemed to work great for gaming, I watched a bunch of gamers playing around w/ the set a few times in the past during my lunch breaks.

I have started noticing that the anti-glare screen on the 50VF820 gives large bright areas of the image where there isn't much detail (light blue or grey sky, the bright white background of the INHD/INHD2 splash screens, etc) a slight 'glisten' for lack of a better term. It's a fine grained glisten that (sort of) reminds me of what you see when you shine a laser pointer on a wall. I noticed it from the very beginning but didn't pay much attn to it, and I still don't find it objectionable. The anti-glare screen works well enough that I can have a dual 60W lamp on in the room opposite the TV behind where I sit, and can hardly see any negative effect of the light on the TV.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's been said before that the reason you don't see much commenting here on Hitachi sets is that the Hitachi owners are enjoying their TVs instead of posting about them. I currently own both a 50V500A, about 15 months, and a 42HDT51 plasma, about 8 months. I have been reading this forum for about 2 years now and have seen comments from Hitachi owners only infrequently. The main, still alive, bulk of postings has been on the 50V500 which started out as a great set but diminished to a blight on the consumer because of a perceived design flaw in the light engine.

I game on both my sets with Xbox, both are great for that. I watch SD tv on both, both look fine and both are better on SD material than most other brands I've seen. HD is great on both. Stretch modes for non-HD material are pretty good on both, as good or better than all other brands except Toshiba.

I usually fall into the category of the Hitachi owner who enjoys his TVs instead of posting about them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a 50VG825 two weekends ago before the Super Bowl. The picture is great, but I am currently trying to understand the audio lag issues that I seeing. I have Comcast basic cable running to the set using the built-in tuner to pickup the HD channels that are sent over basic cable. The audio is a few milliseconds behind the video so it looks like I am watching a dubbed movie whenever anyone is talking on an HD channel.

Would this problem be due to the TV itself or is this a problem with signal in some way?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was looking into the Hitachi 50VG825 set and had some questions reguarding it. Has anyone who owns this model or a similar Hitachi had problems with the lamp buring out early? Anyone had to replace a Hitachi bulb for this set? What kind of hrs did you get out of the bulb? How much is a new bulb? I am just getting into this stuff and have a bunch of questions so any help would be appreciated. I viewed this set beside a similar Sony 50" rp LCD and the Sony looked much brighter. Am I seeing things here or can that be fixed in the settings. I am not to worried about the SDE on it as from about 10-15ft I can not see it. Any one else have any other complaints or comments on this set?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I cannot attest for bulb life yet, as I have only had my Hitachi for just a little over a week. I have the 55VF820 which is the 55VG825 without the TV guide feature and no USB. I was initally setting out to buy the Vg825 but got a great price @ CC on the VF820. I had no need for the USB and use my Direct tv guide/format. I am happy with standard def and very pleased with high def. No SDE issues for me and I sit about 8 or 9 feet away. I have heard complaints about loud fan noise but it was not detectable to me even when I had the tv playing with low volume. I have also heard complaints about the lack of tv speaker quality. I thought the sound quality coming from the tv was pretty darn good and was pleasantly surprised. I now have my surround sound hooked up (Athena point 5's) and love it. I think the picture is pretty bright on my set and the blacks look great to me. This tv has lots of style and you have a lot of connectivity with the two HDMI's. I also game on this tv with a regular Xbox (not the 360) and have not experienced any lag and love the crisp picture. I upgraded the regular cable on my Xbox to the HD A/V pack component cables which helped enhance picture clarity. I will be in the market for the Xbox 360 soon. I have a picture of my set in the Rear projection photo gallery if you wanna have a look. Hope I helped you out some. Good luck with your future purchase.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Nice setup, Socarlion, very nice for you.

I saw this set at CC next to the 50 inch SXRD for half of the SXRD's MSRP on sale one day...almost bought it.

But I thought the SDE was way too much for me even at 8 feet for consideration, but the colour and sharpness were certainly there for sure.

FYI, I have the 70VS810 in my family room for a year now with the seating at about 12 feet from the set with its matching stand.

Now I still get the HD picture at this distance, but see no SDE with this set, it's very strange to me.

I am glad you like this 55" set, but for my bedroom at 8-9 feet, I'm going with the SXRD instead.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socarlion /forum/post/0

I cannot attest for bulb life yet, as I have only had my Hitachi for just a little over a week. I have the 55VF820 which is the 55VG825 without the TV guide feature and no USB. I was initally setting out to buy the Vg825 but got a great price @ CC on the VF820. I had no need for the USB and use my Direct tv guide/format. I am happy with standard def and very pleased with high def. No SDE issues for me and I sit about 8 or 9 feet away. I have heard complaints about loud fan noise but it was not detectable to me even when I had the tv playing with low volume. I have also heard complaints about the lack of tv speaker quality. I thought the sound quality coming from the tv was pretty darn good and was pleasantly surprised. I now have my surround sound hooked up (Athena point 5's) and love it. I think the picture is pretty bright on my set and the blacks look great to me. This tv has lots of style and you have a lot of connectivity with the two HDMI's. I also game on this tv with a regular Xbox (not the 360) and have not experienced any lag and love the crisp picture. I upgraded the regular cable on my Xbox to the HD A/V pack component cables which helped enhance picture clarity. I will be in the market for the Xbox 360 soon. I have a picture of my set in the Rear projection photo gallery if you wanna have a look. Hope I helped you out some. Good luck with your future purchase.

same here with my 55vf820 from CC. I'm very please with all aspects of it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also jumped on the 55VF820 (or is it the 55VF825?) deal from CC and I have zero regret. And after the (requisite) amount of tweaking the picture quality is outstanding.

Has anyone figured out how to access the service menu on the VF/VG825 series yet? (I tried the method for the 810 but had no luck.)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have had a 60v525 for about 3 months and am thoroughly enjoying it. This is a model sold in Canada. Have no regrets so far with this purchase. Cost a little less than the Sony and did not much prefer any dlp. Thought the hitachi had a more natural looking picture

·
Registered
30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael M. /forum/post/0

I also jumped on the 55VF820 (or is it the 55VF825?) deal from CC and I have zero regret. And after the (requisite) amount of tweaking the picture quality is outstanding.

Has anyone figured out how to access the service menu on the VF/VG825 series yet? (I tried the method for the 810 but had no luck.)

can you share with us what kind of tweaks did you do? did you go to the service menu?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts