AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For 37 days I truly enjoyed my samsung hlp5063 until it crapped out on me...light engine failure. I took it back to cc where the manager admitted there had been a lot of problems with this model. I wanted my money back since they didn't carry any other dlp models from different manufacturers. It wasn't to be, exchange was my only option. After reading a lot of great reviews of the hitachi 50vs810, I decided that would be my best option. I paid $[MSRP Only] for my samsung and because of the trouble the manager sold me the hitachi for only $[MSRP Only] which I felt was a great deal. With much anticipation I hooked up my new tv only to find the annoying screen door affect and an overly green tint to the picture. The sde was to be expected somewhat since it is an lcd, but the color distortion was horrible. I tried every setting imaginable and couldn't get it corrected. I hooked it up to my xbox to play halo, the picture was better but not much. My samsung blew this tv away in overall picture quality...colors, picture fidelity, and resolution all seemed much higher on the sammy. To be sure it wasn't just me, I invited my brother and father over to get there opinion on the hitachi. Having seen my sammy in action the previous day, they both agreed the hitachi's picture wasn't up to par with the samsung's. I'm really frustrated at this point and don't know what to do. Has anyone with this model had similar issues? Suggestions? Sorry for the long post, I'm just venting.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Did you use Avia or DVE to calibrate the set? Were you using good component cables? At this point if you can't go back to a Sammy DLP, then you can go LCD and look at Sony, Panny and Hitachi. For your price, you'd be close to the Sammy Kirk model if you like that set.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't use either of those tools to calibrate my tv, it's hard to believe the picture would be so far off with the factory setting. My signal is sd analog cable so I'm not expecting anything great in terms of tv reception. For my xbox and dvd player I'm using the component connections, but the issues remain. I apologize for my ignorance, I have a lot to learn in terms of this technology.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Yes, factory settings are set to 'sell' and not for 'picture quality'. It's been said that they are set to look the best on the floor, thus, brightness is high, sharpness is too probably and color may even be too high. It's set for impact, not for best picture.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.